Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Ser-Matticus

Various items

4 posts in this topic

So i came up with a few ideas while playing with friends and id like to express some of them, some of these might be alternate versions of what has been posted but variety is a good thing

Greenhouses and bamboo: simply put if you can grow plants in a hot enough biome year round with fertilizer why not add that to be an option everywhere? with the right materials one should be able to make a greenhouse to keep the plants within nice and warm and in doing so have some supplies year round, this could be good for MP servers with a currency and trade system so farmers can sell fruits, veggies, and grains during the winter the second bit of this entry the bamboo, is an overhead irrigation method, using bamboo tubes to carry water from a distant source to your farms, additionally you could use this too keep the plants in the greenhouses hydrated

Still: this is a evolution of those evaporation pan of the Udary mod, simply allowing you to make salt without the sunlight and create salt and fresh water with some fuel and a copper still, additionally the still could be used as a means to make young booze, and fertilizer from spring water

Dulling and sharpening: simply put a sword or a pick, shouldn't shatter into bits once the durability runs out, maybe a much like energy for an RF tool once it hits zero the blades, or tool heads dull out and need to be re-sharpened, a whetstone/grindstone would be are repair tool

Charcoal burner: A pit of charcoal in default TFC is a bit... inefficient later when you have the bloomery, forge, and blast furnace. when compared to a coke oven from rail craft or IE maybe once you have the materials a more specialized charcoal cooker that makes charcoal in better ratios? as a by product you get tannin or creosote? additionally if boats are a thing maybe you use creosote treat wood to make workable raft blocks, 

what i got so far i might post more if i can think of them and these ideas are at least liked or ajusted

10 hours ago, Ser-Matticus said:

So i came up with a few ideas while playing with friends and id like to express some of them, some of these might be alternate versions of what has been posted but variety is a good thing

Greenhouses and bamboo: simply put if you can grow plants in a hot enough biome year round with fertilizer why not add that to be an option everywhere? with the right materials one should be able to make a greenhouse to keep the plants within nice and warm and in doing so have some supplies year round, this could be good for MP servers with a currency and trade system so farmers can sell fruits, veggies, and grains during the winter the second bit of this entry the bamboo, is an overhead irrigation method, using bamboo tubes to carry water from a distant source to your farms, additionally you could use this too keep the plants in the greenhouses hydrated

Still: this is a evolution of those evaporation pan of the Udary mod, simply allowing you to make salt without the sunlight and create salt and fresh water with some fuel and a copper still, additionally the still could be used as a means to make young booze, and fertilizer from spring water

Dulling and sharpening: simply put a sword or a pick, shouldn't shatter into bits once the durability runs out, maybe a much like energy for an RF tool once it hits zero the blades, or tool heads dull out and need to be re-sharpened, a whetstone/grindstone would be are repair tool

Charcoal burner: A pit of charcoal in default TFC is a bit... inefficient later when you have the bloomery, forge, and blast furnace. when compared to a coke oven from rail craft or IE maybe once you have the materials a more specialized charcoal cooker that makes charcoal in better ratios? as a by product you get tannin or creosote? additionally if boats are a thing maybe you use creosote treat wood to make workable raft blocks, 

what i got so far i might post more if i can think of them and these ideas are at least liked or ajusted

Nice ideas :)!

As for number one (greenhouses and bamboo tubes), I don't know how to feel about it. On one side, it would be awesome to just grow all crops regardless of outside temperature, but on the other side I feel that there should be a significant "resource gate" that stops the player from making it early in the games and thus removing all the challenge of living on a hot or cold island. So I think that it could be this powerful if you had to put a lot of effort in it, such as having to use special insulating glass and frames, or having to do something else #cough#magic#cough# to prepare the structure. Other than that, a greenhouse would be great. I have no qualms whatsoever with the bamboo tubes, and think it would be a pretty useful earlygame - and lategame too- solution for moving water around.

The still is a pretty good idea, and I would absolutely love to see detailed alcohol-making, however you do not make you booze by distilling wheat. The idea of making fertilizer from spring water is good too (not as good as the booze but eh, good anyway). I think it should be available after the player can work iron. I know this might sound stupid, but I'm fairly certain they didn't have distillation in the bronze age. Nevermind, apparently the Egyptians made distilled beverages from cider and wine in 4000 b.c. The more you know...

About dulling and sharpening, I think it is better the way that stone tools can be repaire now: you work it together with its base material and repair its durability, however its max durability is lowered.

Wasn't there already some other way of making charcoal more efficiently? It there isn't/it isn't planned then there should be, even if its just an oven designed only for that.

Overall, your suggestions are good, however you could put more depht in them: what would make the greenhouse balanced? wwhat is needed for a still? why should anyone want booze? We all know why anyone would want booze.

Edited by TheSnarkyKnight

1 hour ago, TheSnarkyKnight said:

Nice ideas :)!

As for number one (greenhouses and bamboo tubes), I don't know how to feel about it. On one side, it would be awesome to just grow all crops regardless of outside temperature, but on the other side I feel that there should be a significant "resource gate" that stops the player from making it early in the games and thus removing all the challenge of living on a hot or cold island. So I think that it could be this powerful if you had to put a lot of effort in it, such as having to use special insulating glass and frames, or having to do something else #cough#magic#cough# to prepare the structure. Other than that, a greenhouse would be great. I have no qualms whatsoever with the bamboo tubes, and think it would be a pretty useful earlygame - and lategame too- solution for moving water around.

The still is a pretty good idea, and I would absolutely love to see detailed alcohol-making, however you do not make you booze by distilling wheat. The idea of making fertilizer from spring water is good too (not as good as the booze but eh, good anyway). I think it should be available after the player can work iron. I know this might sound stupid, but I'm fairly certain they didn't have distillation in the bronze age. Nevermind, apparently the Egyptians made distilled beverages from cider and wine in 4000 b.c. The more you know...

About dulling and sharpening, I think it is better the way that stone tools can be repaire now: you work it together with its base material and repair its durability, however its max durability is lowered.

Wasn't there already some other way of making charcoal more efficiently? It there isn't/it isn't planned then there should be, even if its just an oven designed only for that.

Overall, your suggestions are good, however you could put more depht in them: what would make the greenhouse balanced? wwhat is needed for a still? why should anyone want booze? We all know why anyone would want booze.

yes i do think on the greenhouse material costs should be further up the chain, probably around the same point you'd be making a crucible for your forge using fire clay you'd need to make a glass kiln then with that a special sand blend to make greenhouse glass, which you use either as blocks or materials to craft the doors, roof pieces, and walls, secondarily you probably need a saw or another tool to make the proper supports to build the frame

Still: there are various things you can make booze with, wheat being one of them, most grains/starches fall under this category.

dullng and sharpening; stone tools could still break but any metal tool should simply dull out, though not being at mac durability might still put incentive into making new tools after a while

On 7/14/2017 at 10:48 PM, Ser-Matticus said:

I'm locking this thread for rule violations of not being specific or deeply thought out. It's more like meanderings.

feared those who would give us so much information that good ideas would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance.

Green houses - If you can do anything anywhere then there is no need to go anywhere.

Bamboo pipes - Other threads have been made on bamboo.

Still - there's kinda already a topic that covers this and pipes but if you have more to expand upon then please do. You can even discuss bamboo pipes as it pertains to a liquid management system.

Dulling and sharpening - been suggested in much greater detail. Catch up on the discussion.

Charcoal burner - I actually haven't seen a good thread on how to either reduce the reliance of charcoal or make a believable way of mass producing it late game without completely stripping islands or having trees that grow abnormally fast. This is an idea that should be in it's own topic and expanded upon.