Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pwnlord

Outskill to pass the Portal system

2 posts in this topic

Basically-a lot of the appeal of TFC1 was the nonlinearity of it. If you sucked at mining-and a lot of us did, back when Dunk Decreed that Thou Shalt Not Know The Intricacies Of The Mining System-you could roam the world and gather stone-age resources nigh-indefinitely. There was a definite gating in the form of metal, but a lot of the game was still accessible without it.

You could, in short, feel like you were actually Exploring A World, rather than Playing A Game.

The Portal system is an...interesting take on the progression inherent to TFC1, but it also loses a lot. Sure, a bad spawn means tedium finding the one (or two, or five) resources you lack-but the joy of TFC is in "Holy shit, Cows!" or "Fuck yes, my first pick!" or "YES! METAL! AT LAST!" or the sheer pride of stepping out into the night in your first set of Wrought Iron armor, only possible with the Flux you traveled so very far to find, and hours spent bent over a Forge as you puzzled out the right order of strikes to turn recalcitrant metal into the tool you need.

The Portal system reminds me of a wide variety of shitty survival games, and it also inherently means leaving your comfy base behind, thus disincentivizing creative endeavors (like the much-praised Chisel.) TFC2 players do create megastructures, if nowhere near as often as vanilla players. Why make something impressive, when you know you're going to leave it behind?

With every island having resources easily found, a lot of the exploration is gone. I'm encouraged by the screenshots from Bioxx's Twitter, but I'm terrified of the idea of islands maybe a hundred chunks across with only a single variety of ore.

Consequently, I'd like traditional worldgen to be an option-either from the beginning, or by fighting your way past whatever dangers lie beyond the safe shallows. Build a better boat, make better armor, or otherwise skill your way past, and gain access to a world that doesn't coddle you.

19 hours ago, Pwnlord said:

I'm encouraged by the screenshots from Bioxx's Twitter, but I'm terrified of the idea of islands maybe a hundred chunks across with only a single variety of ore.

Each island region is 4096 blocks north and south.  There is a certain border region that can't have land, but generally speaking your islands are I think pretty consistently well over 3k blocks in diameter, iirc.  This is known.

As for ores, based on what Bioxx has told us in the past, for one thing, the early islands WILL have the things you need to tech up.  It's not been made clear yet if the starting island is stone-age only with copper on the next island, or if you can get to copper on the spawn island.  But if you are intended to reach copper on the spawn island, from what Bioxx has said we can assume there *will* be copper.  So maybe copper spawns in the X=0 islands regardless of stone type?  Or maybe only copper-bearing stones will be found in the X=0 zone?  We don't really know for sure - at least I haven't been able to deduce it from what we've been given so far.  I don't think it's currently the latter, but he it could probably be made so relatively easily.  For a time I wondered if ores would spawn regardless of stone type, based only on X values.  But all ores I've seen so far in TFC2 have been in their 'logical' stone types.  But, I've not seen tons of ores yet in TFC2.  They seem much rarer exposed above ground, and we don't have surface nuggets yet.  So i think almost all the ore I've seen has been naturally exposed in caves.

So that might address a couple of your concerns.  I share some of your others, and have expressed similar concerns before.  I guess we'll see where things go.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0