Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Arktic

TFC1 1.12+ port

150 posts in this topic

To anyone that wants a TFC type mod on 1.12: I'm writing one from scratch. If anyone wants to help, PLEASE message me. I'll have a beta up by next weekend at the earliest, end of February at the absolute latest. There won't be a complete worldgen overhaul like in TFC for now, but it will have many other features.

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/sadnutmaterials

Hope someone sees fit to check it out, I don't really have any support for this yet.

Cheers,

Alas

Edited by Alas
adding link

39 minutes ago, Alas said:

To anyone that wants a TFC type mod on 1.12: I'm writing one from scratch. If anyone wants to help, PLEASE message me. I'll have a beta up by next weekend at the earliest, end of February at the absolute latest. There won't be a complete worldgen overhaul like in TFC for now, but it will have many other features.

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/sadnutmaterials

Hope someone sees fit to check it out, I don't really have any support for this yet.

Cheers,

Alas

All rights reserved and no public repo? Is that the plan going forward?

So I noticed you included the Forge licence file. Is your intention to licence under LGPL 2.1? Just curious. You should probably edit the file to indicate that it is in-fact the license for the project.

I literally just uploaded it. I still need to make sure it's only what I've got. By the TFC license I have to use GPL3.

This is why I posted here. Thanks for reminding me.

So I'm guessing that by choosing to stay with the TFC license that you are planning to recycle TFC code where it makes sense? I too have looked many times at porting or rewriting TFC for newer MC/Forge versions. The choice as to reuse TFC code is understandable although the TFC codebase is sprawling and not always well structured. That's why I end up deciding to rewrite from scratch and just adopt the mechanics with no code re-use. But then you have the issue of having to rewrite all the mechanics. It's not an easy decision and I've changed my mind multiple times.

In any case, will be keeping on eye on your project. The concept is one that so many folks love the idea of. Just a ton of work. Guess it depends on how much of the overall TFC mechanics you're looking to bring over. You said not the worldgen stuff which makes me curious as that to me is a big part of what makes TFC the awesome mod it is.

I'm using some textures and will be using the TFC2 worldgen code. So far I'm writing from scratch, but I'm staying on the safe side with GPL3. The mechanics will probably be partially recycled. For the first release, I'll be including it in the Sadnut modpack (don't question it...), with CraftTweaker and Artisan Worktables providing most of the mechanics.

I'm eventually going to bring over everything from TFC, but I'm taking small steps. :)

Just want to say that I think a 1.12 port for TFC would be HUGE. It would enable modpacks to really open up their possibilities, and I think it's going to be really popular. Don't give up!

Many of us don't think he ever really started...

Lot's of people start projects, most don't finish.  I'll believe it when I see it.  

I'm putting my money on this one.  It's  a standalone TFC inspired game not requiring minecraft.  https://www.vintagestory.at/

Hi all, long time no see. I'd just like to post this one image.

Teaser

As you can see, it's a long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of it already.

There might be more in the future, who knows.

8 hours ago, Dries007 said:

*snip*

Dries, you sir, are a godsend. ^w^

On 04.04.2018 at 9:57 PM, Dries007 said:

Hi all, long time no see. I'd just like to post this one image.

Teaser

As you can see, it's a long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of it already.

There might be more in the future, who knows.

Cool, do you need any help with that? Maybe if you have a team you are going to make this a reality even faster.

Oh, and something I must request. Please don't add fresh water, use vanilla water instead, and you can re-texture it to look like fresh water. This will ensure compatibility.

For now no. I won't release any builds or code. Not until I hear back from Bioxx or Kitty (or an unreasonable amount of time goes by, maybe a month or so).

Thanks to the new stuff in forge, the mod will be a lot more compatible already, that includes the water. I don't know how exactly I'm going to handle that yet. (For now the water is stained glass, which makes debugging worldgen also easier.)

By now I've also gotten the basic world decoration going. No trees yet though.

EDIT: Although if anyone reads this who attempted to port TFC before, I do welcome any information you want to send my way.

Edited by Dries007

@Dries007 I also have started updating TFC to 1.12.2, or more a rewrite, maybe work together?

My plan was to add all the content++, but let other mod handle the world gen ++, there is some mods out there already that can be used....

Edited by raymondbh

10 hours ago, raymondbh said:

I'm focusing on worldgen first.T Thanks to my seed gen program I have enough experience with it to get everything going.

Now I'm finishing up the various decorators. I'll post another picture soon.

I'm planning on opening up for contribution once I hear back from Bioxx/Kitty.

4 hours ago, Dries007 said:

I'm focusing on worldgen first.T Thanks to my seed gen program I have enough experience with it to get everything going.

Now I'm finishing up the various decorators. I'll post another picture soon.

I'm planning on opening up for contribution once I hear back from Bioxx/Kitty.

Fear enough.

What blocks have you already added? Then I can concentrate on other blocks and items if you open for contribution...

I've already added woodlogs and leaves, so I can contribute with that right away... Also stone/sand/gravel/dirt/grass, but I guess you already have that...

I am also involved with someone else who is making a port. This is silly to have tripled the efforts. A team of 4 motivated people can get this done. Individually, it is too much work and will eventually sputter out. I recommend forming a team of all of us to work together. 

TFC is a huge mod that has a messy code base. Because of the code has been layered over the years it is a complicated mess. Although a ton of people will want to help and contribute, the reality is that for the port it will be more efficient for Dries to do a lot of the base alone, reaching out to people he knows for help. Once his port is public that will allow all those who want to help to fork and send pull requests. 

From my involvement in TFC community I believe that it will be better in the long run for it to be more open to contributions, but it needs some tight control to prevent the code base from getting messy. It also is a community with very strong, but divergent view on what is the “right” way. I include myself in the list of strong opinions. 

Dries is one of the few people who have the skills and experience with the TFC codebase to make this a reality. But it is still a big IF. 

So what I’m suggesting is for folks to be patient. IF or when this gets to a public state that will be the point when you can contribute. It will hopefully also get to a stable place that forks can allow different versions to pop up. 

And yes I am also very excited. 

2 minutes ago, Bunsan said:

*snip*

Well, thanks.

That's one of a couple of reasons I don't want to be too open about involvement at the moment. I don't think multiple code styles mix well, and without any code to set any precedent, there is no guidelines of what/how to contribute.

2018-04-08_00.30.47.png

Ore gen is the next (big) step.

Wit this being a 1.13 forward looking endeavour, I'm currently at 924 blocks.

I understand about the coding part of it for the more advanced stuff like the world gen and some of the other interactions. 

Wouldn't it be helpful for someone like me (average skill) to do things like port the items (easy code) so the skilled programmer can focus on the stuff that needs his attention? 

That sort of contribution will come in time. It will be important for a clear framework/style to exist for folks to follow, but until the base is working I doubt Dries will focus on laying that out. 

Add to that the changes coming to 1.13 and not knowing what tools forge will provide. 

Again I’d suggest patience. 

Oh look, we are at that point where there is more of TFC than vanilla:

2018-04-10_02.20.11.png

Todays work:

2018-04-10_02.32.50.png

Along with some more invisible changes, like a stripworld command (I got tired of vanilla's commands.), worldgen tweaks, peat & clay generation (With flowers, although the flowers are now yellow wool blocks.), and by far the most important thing: Pumpkins & boulders.

Oh, and ore gen works.

Edited by Dries007