Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Crysyn

Only help if you can be helpful

Hey All, A topic has come up of late in the IRC channel in regards to the general feel of the forums and the community that supports them. Things have progressed further than I would have liked with out this being addressed more publicly because I would much rather have snubbed this out sooner rather than later.. but I have been busy. Here is the general rule I would like people to follow: Wheaton's Law "Don't be a dick." Those of you from the IRC channel know that this is the only rule I ask people in there to follow and we generally have a good and lively time chatting about all manner of things. This is basic rule that just about everyone understands and I am going to expand it to the forums from here moving forward. If you can not help people in a helpful and polite manner then I simply ask you to stop. Now I generally take a back seat to moderating the forums as I like to participate in the suggestions forum fairly heavily at times and would rather do so as a forums user than a moderator. But I am also fairly well known for being the person who constantly puts their foot down and so I am stepping up and doing so on here. If you find yourself unable to respond to a message politely then I ask that you do not respond. This mostly focuses on the increasing level of hostility found within the Suggestion forum as well as the Server forum. I do not care if this is the 30th some odd time you have seen someone make the same suggestion. Or even if the new post on an older topic is one entry above the old one. I expect the members of this forum to respond politely to the user, new or old, and point to the older topic if it applies and even go the extra step to suggest they either add in new information or to summarize the outcome of the previous discussion based upon the new post's entry into it. That is what we are here for, that is why I close most topics instead of deleting them, so that they can be found and referenced down the road. The next topic is the slew of derailment attempts I have seen as of late. If you want to have fun and joke around that is what the off topic forum is for and pretty much anything goes there. I do not expect to read a suggestion thread and have to go through 3 pages of image memes people have shot back and forth. Quite simply this is a waste of my time to read and then have to clean up. Now for the summary. I am going to start taking a more active role, especially in policing the suggestion forum, and handing out warn levels to people whom I see doing this. These will be indiscriminate and applied not to just the first person who derails or is impolite on a topic or response, but to everyone whom follows the lead of that person. As I do not like doing things with out giving you all warning this post shall serve as that warning. If you have a desire to bring this topic up with me then I invite you to do so on the IRC channel. Lets raise the level of quality and grow the community. Let us not descend into the quality often found on the minecraft or league of legend forums. There is simply no need for that here. Be passionate about things, just do not be abusive.
    • Kittychanley

Offline Servers

Recently I've seen a few server listings showing up on the first page of the Servers forum that have been closed for an extended period of time, but have recently gotten a reply from a new member who didn't realize the server is offline. To help prevent this from happening in the future, it would be greatly appreciated if you could use the report function on the original post of any servers that have been confirmed as offline, so that the topic may be locked. If you are the admin of a server and plan on taking the server offline, please use the report function on the original post of your topic to let the TFC Staff know that the topic should be locked. If you are the admin of a server that has a locked topic, and would wish to bring the server back online, please use the report function on the original post of the topic to let the TFC Staff know that the topic should be unlocked. As always, please remember to follow rule #3 of the servers forum and update your topic title to contain the version of TFC that the server is currently running. You can do so by editing the OP, and then clicking on "Use Full Editor."
Arktic

TFC1 1.12+ port

135 posts in this topic

Anything is possible, but not all things are practical. We are sticking with the 1.7.10 worldgen model for the moment. There will be tweaks and changes, but we will not be doing a redesign that hexes or similar terrain generation would require. Some of the folks who have offered help have experience with worldgen, like delvr the author of Streams and TaeoG who has done a lot of worldgen for his Thaumcraft crossover mod.

There has been discussions about allowing different types of worldgen either within this project or through addons. But that is something that won't be looked at until beta.

Oh my word, I was on my way home from a vacation and was thinking about getting into TFC again but new I was going to have to go back to 1.7.  Seeing this thread though, I am super excited about the thought of this mod coming to 1.12.  I wish I could help but I am not much of a coder... or artist... really I just love playing games, so thanks to Dries and Bunsan for taking this on!!  Thanks to anyone else who will make this possible!!

If you are interested, I can offer my help for the following.

1. Setup of the translation file as for TFC 1 and submit all the .lang files to git, as I did until TFC 1 translation were taken out of the mod. I would also like to participate to discussion related to item naming pattern and improvement of the .lang file. I can offer a point of view on French and Japanese.

2. Wiki edit. I have a good knowledge of wiki code, with 4.5k edits in wikipedia, setup of localhost wikimedia instance for personal use and  750 edits on TFC wiki, however, I might be the only known banned user on the wiki. If given edit right, I would mostly work on structure and cleanup, and someone with admin power would have to delete content flaged for deletion, or I can do it given admin rights (and I am open to discussion before doing too much). 

The best way to actively participate is by joining the discord. Localisation is likely not going to be done until late alpha. Until then there isn’t much I can say beyond help will be welcome. 

The current wiki will not be touched by us. Once this project develops further we’ll start building a wiki. Like this project we will administer it and get help from the community. 

You don't need anyones permission to do anything with any mod. Mojang/microsoft own all rights to anything created for their game. Legally modders have no rights.. even if they act like they do. Do whatever you want with TFC... bring it back from the hole they dug and buried it in. And post a link somewhere for us all to download it.

1 minute ago, izzy1488 said:

You don't need anyones permission to do anything with any mod. Mojang/microsoft own all rights to anything created for their game. Legally modders have no rights.. even if they act like they do. Do whatever you want with TFC... bring it back from the hole they dug and buried it in. And post a link somewhere for us all to download it.

That's not how copyright works. And it's also not how the EULA outlines it.

OWNERSHIP OF OUR GAME AND OTHER THINGS

Although we license you permission to install on your device and play our Game, we are still the owners of it. We are also the owners of our brands and any content contained in the Game. Therefore, when you pay for our Game, you are buying a license to play / use our Game in accordance with this EULA - you are not buying the Game itself. The only permissions you have in connection with the Game and your installation of it are the permissions set out in this EULA.

Any Mods you create for the Game from scratch belong to you (including pre-run Mods and in-memory Mods) and you can do whatever you want with them, as long as you don't sell them for money / try to make money from them and so long as you don't distribute Modded Versions of the Game. Remember that a Mod means something that is your original work and that does not contain a substantial part of our code or content. You only own what you created; you do not own our code or content.

In other words, as long as you don't sell access to them, you can put any restriction you want on your mods, because they are yours.

40 minutes ago, izzy1488 said:

Stuff

Beyond what Dries said there is also the concept of not being a dick. I have been involved with this community for years now and have gotten to know the devs, addon authors and pack makers. TFC is opensource, so permission is explicitly given to use the code and assets. But I have great respect for Bioxx and everyone who has contributed to TFC, so I want the project to move forward with clear permission given. I’m pretty sure most if not all others involved in this project feel the same. 

10 hours ago, Bunsan said:

Beyond what Dries said there is also the concept of not being a dick. I have been involved with this community for years now and have gotten to know the devs, addon authors and pack makers. TFC is opensource, so permission is explicitly given to use the code and assets. But I have great respect for Bioxx and everyone who has contributed to TFC, so I want the project to move forward with clear permission given. I’m pretty sure most if not all others involved in this project feel the same. 

well said.

On 6/4/2018 at 7:05 AM, Bunsan said:

Double hear hear! I think a fundamental issue in our society today is the loss of distinction between what is morally right and what may be legally right. No great surprise given the political and commercial landscape but it's always refreshing seeing someone distinguish between the two and continue to do what is morally right, regardless of any legalities. Bunsan is my hero!

On 6/5/2018 at 2:40 PM, AnodeCathode said:

Bunsan is my hero!

Bunsan and Dries are heroes to us all <3