Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TonyLiberatto

Do you check the forum everyday?

34 posts in this topic

After a long day at work, a long commute, most of the times longer than one hour driving. I finally get home and in front of my computer. The first thing I do is to check the Forum. 

How are you guys dealing with the lack of new posts and comments here?

Share your experience.

That's sad, very sad. Well, let's wait and see who else will comment here.

I hop in every 2-3 days just to see if there are any new interesting topics up
I'm also daily thinking of publishing yet another Show Off topic with my latest playthrough, cuz' it's been going much better then I first expected

Here's one of the many latest screenshots, just to see if anybody would have been interested to read the whole hostiry behind the "Village of Chrystal Arch"

Spoiler

OdusNvQzmkY.jpgp69ahcBUdUU.jpg6xm5zSL0oug.jpgJw-8OesaJ0M.jpg

By the way, it's the same world i've posted a map to not too long ago
Here it is as well

Spoiler

cf0cy3b.jpg

I check the forum every day at my work (Monday to Friday).

Now i'm "working" and writing this. :D

I guess I am just frustrated with the lack of news on the forum. I think I got addicted in the good times with the exchange of ideas and so much that was happening at the same time. The forum was vibrant and alive.

I really really miss all that excitement. 

Its rather saddening to see what this has become, I think it has something to do with Bioxx and the devs being busy with everything.

I check every 2 weeks or so. Maybe I will leave soon. I'm not expecting anything more. Even if TFC 2 will see new development, I doubt it will be as good as the original TFC. I don't like many of its current features tbh. Adding 'magic' and portals and such is not original because minecraft inherently already has these things. TFC was fun because of advanced smithing, chiseling, and geology, as real as they could get. The food system wasn't really that amazing but OK. The world gen was also quite good compared to other worldgen at the time. The best aspect was generation of tall mountains, and not just ones that look like only cliffs and have floating islands.

I will fondly remember all the good times playing TFC with friends and in single player. 

Yeah... Google still remembers the forums as one of my frequent sites, and I check a few times a week, but when I see that it's been months since the main threads have been active I really lose hope. I remeber when that one guy claimed he could port TFC1 to 1.12 and everyoine got all hyped up. That was the most active I'd seen the forum in a long time, only to be for nothing... I think that was the straw that broke the camels back for a lot of people. Why come back if there's nothing to come back for?

On 13/12/2017 at 8:26 AM, TonyLiberatto said:

I guess I am just frustrated with the lack of news on the forum. I think I got addicted in the good times with the exchange of ideas and so much that was happening at the same time. The forum was vibrant and alive.

I really really miss all that excitement. 

when they release a well working version of tfc2 the community will be vibrant again
as for when they release a well working version is unknown, I've heard that they are waiting for the new updates new coding to make everything faster

But it's always like that. Waiting for the next thing to happen to make x faster or better. This should not be the main obstacle. When MC 1.8 was announced it was going to break many mods and modpacks. I think most devs have overcome those changes by now (but even still 1.6 and 1.7 modpacks remain popular to date). TFC or TFC 2 had the chance to be something new, but nothing happened. Finally, some pre-alpha version of TFC 2 was released. But really I still don't see what it's supposed to be about. There is no roadmap, no objectives, no clear idea of what should make it fun. Now we are approaching 1.13. Then 1.14, etc, and this won't solve TFC 2's problems - or the lack of motivation to continue working on it. 

Edited by Terex

9 hours ago, Terex said:

But it's always like that. Waiting for the next thing to happen to make x faster or better. This should not be the main obstacle. When MC 1.8 was announced it was going to break many mods and modpacks. I think most devs have overcome those changes by now (but even still 1.6 and 1.7 modpacks remain popular to date). TFC or TFC 2 had the chance to be something new, but nothing happened. Finally, some pre-alpha version of TFC 2 was released. But really I still don't see what it's supposed to be about. There is no roadmap, no objectives, no clear idea of what should make it fun. Now we are approaching 1.13. Then 1.14, etc, and this won't solve TFC 2's problems - or the lack of motivation to continue working on it. 

actually, a roadmap would be VERY useful, i'm gonna go make a suggestion for that

On 12/18/2017 at 2:16 PM, Terex said:

But it's always like that. Waiting for the next thing to happen to make x faster or better.

The minecraft 1.13 update is, from what I understand, unlike any other update.  It is entirely reworking most of the 'guts' of minecraft, in order to allow unlimited block ids, amongst many other things.  This isn't just a matter of changing combat, or adding some mobs.  The sticking both hands in up to the elbows and messing about.  Why should Bioxx do a bunch of coding before 1.13 comes out, only to have it mucked up and have to totally redo it in 1.13?  They've already started to do that once for the 1.7->1.8 transition.  Why do it again?   People who haven't taken a good hard look at what is actually involved in 1.13 need to go do so.  It is not trivial, not even remotely. 

All that said, I do not have any insider knowledge, and for all I know Bioxx has won the lottery and is living it up in Malta.  We'll see when 1.13 drops, hopefully early next year.

This semester was extremely rough. I've tried to stay up-to-date on TFC but I haven't had time. Anyone want to fill me on what happened? I'll probably run through my addons in the next few weeks, but anything new on TFC2 or anything?

That's exactly the problem, nothing is happening.

My point was, to be honest, TFC 2 does not have to run on MC 1.13+ per se. I'd love the hear from Bioxx or any other dev that they are specifically waiting for new capabilities in the latest MC, ones that should be critical to the development of TFC 2.

Edited by Terex

Most of the times it is easy to say that someone else should have done this or that. I have no idea how easy or hard is  Bioxx personal life. I also do not know how much he actually knows of other coding languages.

I am probably wrong, but I have the impression that if Terrafirmacraft was released as an independent game, not a minecraft mod. It would be a huge success. 

Maybe C#, It could even be an early release game. I am sure lots of people would buy the game betting on the success.

Well, in any case, like I said no idea. I am just venting.

I check the forums once every week or two these days. Since TFC does edit so many things it may benefit by switching to something like terasology or other open source minecraft clones where there is more control. It involves a lot more work but the benefits are a more stable and once progressing far enough a mod the size of TFC with an active community backing it could drive development for that project. Meaning it'll cater to the needs of TFC. The downside is attracting players and developers. First is attracting developers willing to take on the task. It's a large task both because of the scope of TFC and there's more back-end work which in Minecraft is handled by Forge. That means slow development. After developing for at least half a year, there's the issue of nurturing a community at that point. I found TFC through Minecraft like many others and that wouldn't necessarily be the case if TFC broke from Minecraft.

On top of that, there's the issue of what is TFC? Is it whatever Bioxx and friends develop? Is it a blocky version that mimics the real world? Does it mean absolutely no magic? If it's development driven solely by Bioxx, then that'll be difficult. Permission must at least be granted by him if this site were to be used to promote a non-minecraft version of TFC. I monitor the suggestion forums a lot and have noticed a split in the community on the lines of "magic". Some enthusiastically embrace it while others lament that it will be the downfall of TFC. Either way, an identity for TFC would need to be agreed upon if the plan is to have more than one developer at some point.  

On 12/24/2017 at 5:21 AM, Stroam said:

Automated Message: This topic has been moved from Suggestions to Discussion

Roadmaps generally come about as a need. Since there's only one developer, who develops what he wants, when he wants, at his own pace there isn't a need for a roadmap. If you check out the GitHub for TFC2, development has not been active since June. Will it start back up? No one knows.

I'm betting when the first TFC got started none of the devs knew the scope of what was to come or how long it'd take. Now that they know better what they are getting into and changes in life circumstances, they're probably a lot more hesitant to do it all again. On top of that Bioxx doesn't want to just update TFC, he wants to take it in a new direction. A direction in which alienates some of the community. Which generates negative feedback sapping even more of a drive to develop. 

I completely get why people are asking for a roadmap or some proof that development is going on. They liked TFC and are excited about what TFC2 could be. I too was in that camp. You can find old posts from me and see the frequency, length, and content of what I posted in excitement. There are some posts asking what, when, and how can I help.

Since then I have come to the belief that if TFC2 is to develop into more than what it currently is, then these people who still want it, need to make it. That waiting on Bioxx is waiting for something that may never come. It could be done by one ambitious programmer. I see that as unlikely. A few enthusiastic programmers sure. What I'd like to see is an entire community coming together to help code and develop a version of TFC. Call it TFC CE, "community edition".  

On 12/22/2017 at 3:56 AM, TonyLiberatto said:

Most of the times it is easy to say that someone else should have done this or that. I have no idea how easy or hard is  Bioxx personal life. I also do not know how much he actually knows of other coding languages.

I am probably wrong, but I have the impression that if Terrafirmacraft was released as an independent game, not a minecraft mod. It would be a huge success. 

Maybe C#, It could even be an early release game. I am sure lots of people would buy the game betting on the success.

Well, in any case, like I said no idea. I am just venting.

Oh eeeeh, buuut.... hm.......
tfc-meme.jpg

Here's our website: https://www.vintagestory.at;)

Edited by TyronX

That is exactly what I was talking about.

Got the game, first impressions are good. 

Honestly, I still check here every once in a while. I love TFC as a concept and still do to this day. It just so happens that my expectations for a TFC2 release has gone down very well these past several months, especially in light of the upcoming 1.13 update.

Perhaps when the update comes out and some time has passed for the modding community to sort it out, then we may see a resurgence in TFC2 development. As it stands now, Minecraft is not the only game I'm interested in (neither have I played it in a long while). Fact of the matter is, people eventually get bored of waiting for a long update, and other games eventually catch their interest. I've moved on to Team Fortress 2 and Guild Wars 2 as a matter of fact.

Does that mean I've given up on TFC2 entirely? No, not when 1.13 has been reputed to be significantly changing Minecraft's coding to where modders will be forced to account for such changes. Based on what I know about news on TFC2 development and the upcoming Minecraft update, I think it's preferable for Bioxx to wait until the update drops and see what changes have been made to the game's code. After all, coding total-conversion mods like TFC is hard work, if my limited coding experience back in my high school days is anything to indicate.

Edited by Sda215

If you haven't checked out VintageStory, you should.  They are doing an incredible job on this.  Also, if you haven't heard, Dunk is doing a TFC+ mod on Curse, using the 1.7.10 version.  The fat lady hasn't sung yet. :)