Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
killsode

Roadmap

7 posts in this topic

i think the community as a whole has been wondering how the development is going and i thought that a road map of some kind would help give everyone a bit of a direction
as having a thing outlined as the "current thing to do" would likely make development faster

at the very least it would let people know what is being worked on

would love to hear your opinions on this

(if there is already a road map you should probably make it visible on the forums )

Automated Message: This topic has been moved from Suggestions to Discussion

Roadmaps generally come about as a need. Since there's only one developer, who develops what he wants, when he wants, at his own pace there isn't a need for a roadmap. If you check out the GitHub for TFC2, development has not been active since June. Will it start back up? No one knows.

I'm betting when the first TFC got started none of the devs knew the scope of what was to come or how long it'd take. Now that they know better what they are getting into and changes in life circumstances, they're probably a lot more hesitant to do it all again. On top of that Bioxx doesn't want to just update TFC, he wants to take it in a new direction. A direction in which alienates some of the community. Which generates negative feedback sapping even more of a drive to develop. 

I completely get why people are asking for a roadmap or some proof that development is going on. They liked TFC and are excited about what TFC2 could be. I too was in that camp. You can find old posts from me and see the frequency, length, and content of what I posted in excitement. There are some posts asking what, when, and how can I help.

Since then I have come to the belief that if TFC2 is to develop into more than what it currently is, then these people who still want it, need to make it. That waiting on Bioxx is waiting for something that may never come. It could be done by one ambitious programmer. I see that as unlikely. A few enthusiastic programmers sure. What I'd like to see is an entire community coming together to help code and develop a version of TFC. Call it TFC CE, "community edition".  

I am checking the github on a weekly basis, it sure looks deserted atm.

The problem with a mod is that forge and mc are getting further and further away. The playable TFC is for forge 1.7.10 and minecraft is now 1.12.2. You are at mojangs mercy. If they decide to change a lot, forge will adapt, they have to and so do you. At some point you are working more on adapting than actually progressing with the project.

I personally made my peace with the fact that mc is not suitable for the amount of detail that i would want in a project like this, it is simply a game of rough blocks and mechanics of a similar scope. You chop a tree block and you get ready-to-use wood logs, just stick them onto rock or whatever and they hold etc.

I am still playing the old TFC because of its uniqueness and the lack of real survival games, i would love to see TFC2 but i am not expecting it.

Since I am not a coder, I may just be saying nonsense, but it gives me the impression that it would be more worthwhile for Bioxx to work in coding a TFC game version in itself and not a mod for minecraft.  

The first great advantage would be to stop playing catch with minecraft updates.

Second would be more control over the game, it would have only the features it is designed for, without the need to modify things.

Again, I have no idea how feasible that is. Just a Dream in my mind.

The gfx engine is the issue, for a one man team or even a small team coding around an engine is a full time job.

Isn't there any engine that would work for a block game in the same way as Unreal Engine?

I mean Unreal has a system where you can make the game and publish it and you pay a percentage of the sales. From what I read it looks like a good deal.

The unreal engine has its own programming language and you have to develop the game "around" the engine. A minecraft mod is written in java, which is quite simple but powerful, and the engine just takes the data (the blocks etc) that is stored somewhere in memory and it displays it.

It's 10 times more work and only makes sense if you see some money on the other end

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0