Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kiama

Engaging Chopping Mechanic

1 post in this topic

I'm sure it is way too late to make a suggestion like this, but here you go.

This is one of my ideas that I was keeping indefinitely for some future time when I get around to learning Minecraft modding or develop my own mmo but it would be worth it to have had a part in TFC2. Also, feel free to trash it. I have no idea if this would fit the vibe. It is not on the banned list of suggestions at least.

This is a chopping mechanic that would replace the current "hold down left click" mechanic.

1. Trees have a stat called thickness. Each tree type has a different thickness.

2. To chop a tree down, a player must reduce a tree's thickness to zero, with a margin of error relative to that player's chopping/forestry level.

3. Exceeding this margin of error will ruin the tree, resulting in no logs. Alternative idea: ruining the tree results in some logs, not ruining the tree results in more logs.

4. When the player swings at a tree with a hatchet/axe, a GUI appears, displaying the tree's thickness as some sort of health bar and various wood grain patterns that the player can click.

5. How many the player gets to choose from depends on the quality of their hatchet/axe.

6. The player will come to recognize the wood grain patterns as the same ones re-appear.

7. Choosing a grain pattern will reduce the tree's thickness by a particular number, a number which changes depending on which tree type is being chopped (alternatively, each tree type could have totally different grain patterns. This would be more immersive but also more work) and is randomized for each player. Each player thus has to learn for themselves the strength of each wood grain pattern on each different tree.

8. Whenever the player chooses the same two grain patterns in a row, the thickness-reduction power of that pattern is doubled for the duration of this tree chopping process. This can be used to chop the tree down faster but the player also needs to be wary of destroying the tree due to not taking this into account.

9. If you want to go crazy, the player's forestry level could affect how frequently they can chop trees in this way. There would be a cooldown after chopping a tree. Attempting to chop a tree before the cooldown is finished would result in grain patterns that are fogged out, so the player would likely ruin the tree through chopping blindly. This could be paired with a greatly increased amount of logs when chopping successfully.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0