Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
GooberGabe_

Shield Concept Art and Discussion

31 posts in this topic

On 8/6/2018 at 6:17 PM, Diego il Catanico Jr said:

Couldn't we render all the models from the textures like almost minecraft item does and then add the handle or the leather strips, instead of making a separate model for every shield?

We could have 2 textures for every shield, one for the interior and one for the exterior... the model would be generated by the interior  and the front of the shield will have another texture, or viceversa.

example interior.pngexample exterior.png

By the way, eagle i like your textures but i dont think we need stripes of metal everywhere, an umbo should be enough for most shieds

Here is how the overlay textures would actually look: example interior texture.pngexample exterior texture.png (they will be 16x32 for this shield of course).

I was thinking... we could still put banners in the front face of the shield, covering the wood. Of course the umbo and other metal parts would cover the banner but a lot of decoration options would still be there.

Wait I have done more accurate designs. I'm not that good with metal textures so you can use these any way you want.

Now, black is metal overlay and white is wood (or banner). Red is invisible overlay.

Wood:   Exterior Wooden Shield Shape.png   Interior Wooden Shield Shape Interior.png   (Yes it is identical)

Copper:   Exterior Copper Shield Shape.png   Interior Copper Shield Shape Interior.png

Bronze:   Exterior Bronze Shield Shape.png   Interior Bronze Shield Shape Interior.png

Bismuth Bronze:   Exterior Bismuth Bronze Shield Shape.png   Interior Bismuth Bronze Shield Shape Interior.png

Black Bronze:   Exterior Black Bronze Shield Shape.png   Interior Black Bronze Shield Shape Interior.png

Wrought Iron:   Exterior Wrought Iron Shield Shape.png   Interior Wrought Iron Shield Shape Interior.png   (We already have it thanks to @eagleyes005)

Steel:   Exterior Steel Shield Shape.png   Interior Steel Shield Shape Interior.png   (Identical too)

Black Steel:   Exterior Black Steel Shield Shape.png   Interior Black Steel Shield Shape Interior.png

Blue Steel:   Exterior Blue Steel Shield Shape.png   Interior Blue Steel Shield Shape Interior.png

Red Steel 1:   Exterior Red Steel Shield Shape.png   Interior Red Steel Shield Shape Interior.png           Still               sure                    red

Red Steel 2:   Exterior Red Steel Shield Shape Alternative.png   Interior Red Steel Shield Shape Alternative Interior.png                    not                 about               steel

P.S.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Actually i just discovered the spoiler instrument                                                                                                                                                                                                                          ur mom giey

Edited by Diego il Catanico Jr

I totally agree whit you.

We can usa large shields as you said and make small ones (like bucklers) made entire of metal.

I will be doing more textures for each of these shields.

My one complaint is that the Blue Steel design looks a slightly more carrot-like amalgamation of the regular Steel and Black Steel designs, while Red Steel looks amazing and unique.
What about something more diamond-shaped and sturdy looking, like the center of the armor?
Could also take functionality into account for design ideas. The original Red Steel armor specializes in blocking slashing damage, and both of the current Red Steel shapes look good for catching/moving a blade slash.
Blue Steel is meant to block Pirecing damage.

Given my aesthetic, Blue Steel tends to be my main armor end-game.

28 minutes ago, Pyr0mrcow said:

My one complaint is that the Blue Steel design looks a slightly more carrot-like amalgamation of the regular Steel and Black Steel designs, while Red Steel looks amazing and unique.

Well that was the point when i designed them, i think it's intentional...

29 minutes ago, Pyr0mrcow said:

The original Red Steel armor specializes in blocking slashing damage, and both of the current Red Steel shapes look good for catching/moving a blade slash.
Blue Steel is meant to block Pirecing damage.

Well i didn't remember this but, actually i got it luckly right: to me the blue steel looks appropriate for blocking piercing (a large, well defined surface) while the second alternative of red steel looks perfect to block slashing.