Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
EstebanLB

Use the Saw to slice/work the wooden planks the same way the chisel and the stones works

22 posts in this topic

Well, that's it. I was going to photoshop some screenshots with the planks but when I saw in the changelog that the mechanic was being introduced with the chisel I prefered to wait so everybody can understand what I'm saying.

The thing is what happens to stairs and slabs, well,it could be like the stones, crafted using the saw on a placed plank or craft it in the table and place it as an item at fixed cuantites, 3 slabs and 4 stair, I think.

The first case allows us to have stairs and slabs of every wood color(neat!), but I think it will force them drop nothing when destroyed, the same way stone works. Maybe it can be fixed, Bioxx may answer this, take in mind that vanilla 1.3 will add the different slabs and stairs, it could be using the damage value, who knows. The second case circunvent all this trouble.

There is also the posibility of having different modes for the saw, one for each fourniture, and let Bioxx model them, like a stair, chair, table, big table corner and central piece, window frame, column and beams(to replace the support beams), etc.

What do you think?

One thing I thought, should the planks bounding box really be a full cube, I mean that would mean we stacked some planks up. If it were a flat bounding box that was only like an eighth of a block thick this would look better and provide a lot more opportunity for ideas like the above.

I thought it should work just like the chisel, except targeting wood and not needing a hammer.

Well, something like it. It all depends on what is Bioxx planning about overhauling construction. You could need several planks to make a full cube

I think could be the same as chisel, but more versatile. Like, the chisel totally break the stone when you go to the minimum of it.

On wood is like the same, but on the other hand, wood stuff like planks, can be arranged to just rebuilt it.

So what I'm trying to say is that you can increase or decrease the amount of wood there, so is like a reverse mode of the chisel, you put wood into that, so it improve, or changing the mode of the tool, you do like the chisel, decreasing the material in there.

On rock you can't just glue it up, is not the same anymore, the resistance goes to the glue. But on wood, as is softer than rock, it's possible to work more, gather the pieces and create another plank.

I think could be the same as chisel, but more versatile. Like, the chisel totally break the stone when you go to the minimum of it.

On wood is like the same, but on the other hand, wood stuff like planks, can be arranged to just rebuilt it.

So what I'm trying to say is that you can increase or decrease the amount of wood there, so is like a reverse mode of the chisel, you put wood into that, so it improve, or changing the mode of the tool, you do like the chisel, decreasing the material in there.

On rock you can't just glue it up, is not the same anymore, the resistance goes to the glue. But on wood, as is softer than rock, it's possible to work more, gather the pieces and create another plank.

That may look better, for example, a beam or column uses 1/4 of a plank( or it could be a full plank), a vanilla slab uses 2/4, a stair uses 3/4, and a full block uses 4/4

Yeah, I thought on something like that. I think we can even divide this more. That way planks could be more compressed and more versatile.

Lets see.... Two planks could make a very thin slab. Maybe two of this make the vanilla slab size. One plank just fill half of the side of this first slab.

I will try to draw something of that later. I think is best than words. xD

Just a stray thought. What if wooden planks were tenth slabs. (Stone is shaved in tenths...) Once stacked to a full cube, the plank blocks the could then be sawn like the stone/chisel mechanic.

Hrmm.... Additive building doesn't seem to me like it would work as well as subtractive building with stone and chisels. It doesn't make any sense with wooden planks. That's my biggest gripe with the mechanic.

Wait a minute, more stray thoughts...pretend we have adzes. :U

If you chop a tree with an axe you get logs. Use an axe on one of the logs to get "treetype wood," which could be used to produce things made out of wood that wouldn't normally be made out of planks and nails. ...Unfortunately I can only think of decorative things, which doesn't bode well for this idea... ...Maybe wooden bowls or self bows, or something?

Using an adze on a log, however, would yield planks, or the current plank block. If it would yield plank blocks, shaping could function like the chisel mechanic. If individual planks, they could maybe be combined using some kind of carpentry GUI on placement, requiring nails for each plank used...?

Also using an adze on a tree would strip the bark, and, once stripped a tree could be tapped for its product.

post above^

A new tool?, that would mean a new head, new plans, more ingots... I was thinking of giving a new use for the saw.

I think the knive could be (If is not in the mind of dev) something to work on wood, but for details. So, basically, you can use the Saw for bigger and non detailed things, such as planks, slabs, etc.

And knifes, for bowls, wooden sticks, basically everything of wood that is and object to catch by hand and use like non construction thing.

And for that is a nice addition to what Lumi said. After you chop a tree and get the log, you can turn the log into some workable wood, not straight to a block of wood. With that workable wood, you can craft big things with the Saw, like planks (And with planks, you can form a wooden block), or wooden objects, that you can work with the knife.

And I like the idea of the member (Which I really don't remember the name... sorry.. :(), of sticks beeing crafted from branches. Branches are gathered from the leaves, and every branch give you like, 2 sticks. Or/And sticks could be craftable from that workable wood from logs too.

...Trees need to fall. They just need to. The more I think about it, the more I'm absolutely convinced...let me see if I can persuade you guys. ...Here's how I feel a lumber farming forest run should play out, more or less.

Your inventory is decked out with all of your tree related tools. You've got an axe, a saw, an adze, and a tree tap.

The axe now functions differently. Like a bow, it can now 'charge' up. Hitting wood with a full charge will give you that satisfying 'thunk' sound. :U

So you see a tree you want to fell. You walk up to it, pull out your axe, and knock it two or three times on one side. A notch appears at the base of the tree. You circle to the other side, and proceed to hack away until the tree gives. (Suggestion for possible method in spoiler tags...) If you ever got curious and tried knocking all the way through a tree from a single side, the tree would end up falling on you. Clearing all the leaves would make this a bit safer for bystanders.

In any case, you've now got a huge sideways tree laying in front of you. Using a axe on these sideways tree blocks would harvest logs. Using a saw instead would give a better yield. Leaving the felled tree there for a couple of days might spawn mushrooms, or something.

Using an adze on a (standing) tree will remove the bark from one side of the block. You could use this bark to make medicine, and other craftings. After removing the bark, you could also hammer in a tree tap, hang a bucket. Come back in a couple of hours for some tree product. :U

Using an adze (two or three times) on a set of three connected, felled log blocks would create a dugout boat, which would have to be dragged to water before it could be ridden.

Moving back to logs (items)... I want to say we need to add some kind of carpentry workbench, but I believe that's something that's best avoided. In reality you don't need a special table to preform wood work.

Okay, suspending this line of thought until after I drink my yummy carrot smoothie. I'm thinking one two should work the log into planks, another should work it into a crafting, and the last should work it into a smaller 'half'logs that could be worked into smaller products, but there's a huge problem with that because saws are currently pretty hard to acquire. :U

This might not be a problem if we will need nails to produce wooden plank houses as saws and nails would pretty much land at around the same time, and building materials like mudbricks and so on will already have been available for a long time.

...What do you guys think?

Would it be possible to, on tree knock-down, eliminate the original tree blocks, spawn a tree entity, have that fall over, then spawn tree blocks where it lands? Videogame smoke and mirrors to make that would make it seem like the tree blocks actually fell, when in reality new blocks were spawned?

I know the trees in this mod are made strangely I think they actually can identify if a leaf block is from one tree or another. If not that could be a problem. We could basically just use a zeppelin mod like mechanic but I'm not a very good modder so I'm not sure how it would turn out. Problems could happen when you cut higher up on the tree also not to mention the entity would need gravity and decide which way to fall which isn't very easy.

I know the trees in this mod are made strangely I think they actually can identify if a leaf block is from one tree or another.

It's just the leaves that only support other leave of the same type. It doesn't matter about the log/leaf combination but it will be supported.

eg. A hickory tree could keep maple leaves in existence, but only it they're touching the trunk.

Knocking trees down may look cool and realistic, and would require a little bit of work, like in WURM Online. There is a thread about making boats using an entire chopped down tree. If Bioxx can acomplish this, it would be awesome. Plus, more uses for the saw!!!

-snip-

I like this a lot. As an enthusiastic camper, I've felled a fair few trees. (with my trusty gransfor brucks axe which, on a totally unrelated note, I could not recommend more to any outdoorsy types on the forum :))

The falling trees would add a nice touch to the game, and make the forest feel more alive (I wonder if storms could fell trees, or if that would create infinite lag :P). I'm up for any suggestion that makes the world around me come alive, so that I can just leave my mines and wonder at the beauty of this virtual landscape :D

Also, love the addition of the adze and the dugout boats :D

I think you should give that suggestion it's own thread lumi, I would be all over it like a fly on shit :P

Knocking trees down may look cool and realistic, and would require a little bit of work, like in WURM Online. There i a thread abou making boats using an entire chopped down tree. If Bioxx can acomplish this, it would be awesome. Plus, more uses for the saw!!!

I saw that thread also, the only problem is that, right now, there is no need for boats at all, because Steve has the endurance of a demi-god and seemingly can swim for all eternity.

He's like the Forest Gump of the virtual world :P

because Steve has the endurance of a demi-god and seemingly can swim for all eternity.

He's like the Forest Gump of the virtual world :P

-snip-

I was so confused there, I am checking the forum at work and I thought you had left a very long blank reply to that statement :P

Turns out our "fun filter" even blocks embedded youtube videos :o

I was about to make another thread, when I realized; wait surely some on has already posted this! And indeed they have.

I will say again, saw = X, X = chisel for wood without use of hammer.

I also am in love with Lumi's suggestion, but that's a whole 'nother topic, and way more complex.

So uh, BE REVIVED!

there was a very similar topic in the last few weeks, by sushiy.

here's the link, although if you want to revive an old thread to talk about the same thing i guess that's cool too...

Sorry for the double post, ignore this and move to the next page!

there was a very similar topic in the last few weeks, by sushiy.

here's the link, although if you want to revive an old thread to talk about the same thing i guess that's cool too...

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/1880-new-gamemechanic-instead-of-the-almighty-workbench/

That topic is great, better in fact. But I wanted this one as a sort of "quick fix" for Bioxx. Sushi's thread constitutes an entire update, this, a minor tweak. The fact that I can't work wood like stone or get stairs/half slabs out of all the woods drives me insane. I know nothing about coding but this seems like a easy quick addition. Just to sort of jumpstart a carpentry update...

We already know what we're doing for this. thread lock.