Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Jed1314

Combat Overhaul cont. (2/3)

118 posts in this topic

I think we lost our VtM gm... But we have some really awesome people gming some really epic systems. It's sad that the gm who did an annual "Giant Robot" game graduated... :'( *sniff* But the guys we have GMing are really creative and come up with some really wierd and fun things for people to play,

Always pleasant.

I've been working on a D&D 3.5 setting/campaign for a LONG ass time now, round about 3 years... tho only about a year or so of that was spent actually working on it, the rest has been stagnation and minecraft lol

I set up some house rules that rather overhaul the D&D system though. It's kinda the TFC of 3.5

Sort of similar to GURPS, really. You don't just clear out a dungeon, and then randomly level up when you swat a fly on the way out anymore. You DO level up at certain xp increments, but the rewards for doing so are spread out more, and while you don't have LESS choice of where your points in whatever go, you don't just get to write down whatever on your character sheet either. Say you get 12 skill points - well, if you make a skill check while you still have points left to spend, you instantly place a point into that skill after the check is resolved. This way people who do a lot of smithing will get high craft (weaponry), and the barbarian won't have 20 fucking ranks in diplomacy.

It also provides a lot of world and planar lore, expanding on the canon without contradicting it or straying from its flavor.

Always pleasant.

I've been working on a D&D 3.5 setting/campaign for a LONG ass time now, round about 3 years... tho only about a year or so of that was spent actually working on it, the rest has been stagnation and minecraft lol

I set up some house rules that rather overhaul the D&D system though. It's kinda the TFC of 3.5

Sort of similar to GURPS, really. You don't just clear out a dungeon, and then randomly level up when you swat a fly on the way out anymore. You DO level up at certain xp increments, but the rewards for doing so are spread out more, and while you don't have LESS choice of where your points in whatever go, you don't just get to write down whatever on your character sheet either. Say you get 12 skill points - well, if you make a skill check while you still have points left to spend, you instantly place a point into that skill after the check is resolved. This way people who do a lot of smithing will get high craft (weaponry), and the barbarian won't have 20 fucking ranks in diplomacy.

It also provides a lot of world and planar lore, expanding on the canon without contradicting it or straying from its flavor.

Lol, that's a really neat system you got going on. And seriously, what barbarian needs 20 ranks in diplomacy?

Although... At the end of the D20 campaign, my "Charisma" class character had a base skill in diplomacy, bluff, all sorts of other CHAR skills, with modifiers of about 27, i believe. I once faked my own death in the middle of a fight cause I had one hp remaining... And it worked... Gloriously... And then I almost completely tamed Cerberus and a dragon. It was awesome. My favorite moment of the entire game was when I Bluffed my way through Hades' Castle, right to the throne room. The GM wanted me to fail soooo hard, but with +27 to your bluff rolls, it's really hard not to win a skill check.

Posted Image

That was me... I didn't do anything except Bluff and Buff my party.

Lol, that's a really neat system you got going on. And seriously, what barbarian needs 20 ranks in diplomacy?

Although... At the end of the D20 campaign, my "Charisma" class character had a base skill in diplomacy, bluff, all sorts of other CHAR skills, with modifiers of about 27, i believe. I once faked my own death in the middle of a fight cause I had one hp remaining... And it worked... Gloriously... And then I almost completely tamed Cerberus and a dragon. It was awesome. My favorite moment of the entire game was when I Bluffed my way through Hades' Castle, right to the throne room. The GM wanted me to fail soooo hard, but with +27 to your bluff rolls, it's really hard not to win a skill check.

Posted Image

That was me... I didn't do anything except Bluff and Buff my party.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lol it's also the original, and nearly as old as the internet

you posted the politically correct knockoff

Lol it's also the original, and nearly as old as the internet

you posted the politically correct knockoff

lol, I'll remember that!

D&D conversation

D&D conversation

so uhh, back on topic...

Combat overhaul...Yay

DnD is a great basis for a lot of creature and player based overhauls :P

I don't really know where this thread is going, we're in limbo right now because it has been pretty well explored ..

Yeah, threads usually end up like this in their old age, especially if all venues have been explored. (jeez why did nobody ever play dnd with me when i was a kid :P you guys seem to enjoy it thoroughly )

Yeah, threads usually end up like this in their old age, especially if all venues have been explored. (jeez why did nobody ever play dnd with me when i was a kid :P you guys seem to enjoy it thoroughly )

Nobody played it with me when I was younger either :P

I only started when I got into uni :L

Shoot, i doubt Nuke training school will have too many DND players....

Shoot, i doubt Nuke training school will have too many DND players....

You never know .. We appear in the strangest of places ¬.¬ :P

You never know .. We appear in the strangest of places ¬.¬ :P

We're the cockroaches of nerddom!

Dual wielding in MC is too overpowered , as with heavy armor and two weapons

I'd just like to say would that be such a problem? because new tech or gear that is better than the rest makes u dominant till all others get it or develop something better (e.g plate armor beat leather etc then gun beat armor) so its not like you would be unstoppable because you have pretty good armor...

I'd just like to say would that be such a problem? because new tech or gear that is better than the rest makes u dominant till all others get it or develop something better (e.g plate armor beat leather etc then gun beat armor) so its not like you would be unstoppable because you have pretty good armor...

no guns in TFC. please read other posts.

no guns in TFC. please read other posts.

He wasn't asking for guns to e implemented, just used them as an example. At least, that's what i think ._. i'm not sure what he meant to say... or even who he is talking to.

He wasn't asking for guns to e implemented, just used them as an example. At least, that's what i think ._. i'm not sure what he meant to say... or even who he is talking to.

ummm i think that he was trying to say that once you develop some form of technology ie: leather armor, someone is going to make something better and more effective to compete with you ie: plate armor

not exactly sure why he said this though

Yes, but that only half represents the actual development of military technology and doesn't make for very good gameplay because then victory is "hard coded" by the gear you have :S

Yes, but that only half represents the actual development of military technology and doesn't make for very good gameplay because then victory is "hard coded" by the gear you have :S

Not necessarily true tho, you can have the best gear in any game you can name, but if your great strategy amounts to HULK SMASH you can still get your spine ripped out Sub Zero style by an opponent that can run tactical circles around you

Not necessarily true tho, you can have the best gear in any game you can name, but if your great strategy amounts to HULK SMASH you can still get your spine ripped out Sub Zero style by an opponent that can run tactical circles around you

If your opponent jumps in the water and you're wearing plate, you're pretty much screwed, yeah.

Yeah, sure, what he said... :

*He still doesn't know what Phoenix meant to say...*

If your opponent jumps in the water and you're wearing plate, you're pretty much screwed, yeah.

Yup. Slap on my leather, jump in the water, and take pot shots with my bow while shouting 'come at me bro'

Juggernaut gonna drown

I'm curious, when is the combat overhaul planned for? That sounds pretty exciting.

I'm curious, when is the combat overhaul planned for? That sounds pretty exciting.

as soon as half-life episode 3 comes out

as soon as half-life episode 3 comes out

ha