Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MDub

Built Minecraft.jar file download

30 posts in this topic

Out of curiositiy, why not get around all the problems people have installing this mod, by releasing a built version of the minecraft.jar file (with just the dependencies, and TFC) along with the builds? It seems it would solve a whole lot of trouble, and make the adoptability of mods like this considerably higher.

Because it's illegal. Mojang explicitly states in it's license agreement that it does not allow sharing any of it's work, modified or otherwise.

If someone could organize it, it would be possible to pack all the mods together into a single .zip file, which can be directly installed over a minecraft.jar.

So someone puts Forge, Player API, and TFCraft into a zip file, and distributes that, there won't be any infringements (assuming they got permission from each of the mods' owners).

If Bioxx could do this it would save everyone else heaps of time, but this is unlikely. (If someone else did it, there would be a wait between a release and a packed .zip)

I assumed it had something to do with licensing... but what if say... I, or bioxx or someone made a tool that copied out the minecraft.jar file from appdata, then merged all the jar files in a given directory into the copy, and spit out the jar file on ur desktop or something? Im pretty sure I could write that in less than an hour, but have no place to host such a thing. If it is legal, perhaps a nice alternative to hosting a minecraft.jar download, would be to to as platoon suggested and include the latest version of the dependencies, and TFC along with this tool, so that a user just downloads the tool, runs it, and bamb, instant jar file.

Or better yet, enhance the tool to work like the one I made for me and my friends, which launches terrafirmacraft without using the appdata/.minecraft directory as its working directory at all. That way, it would just be a tool, with the mods, that copies an existing install of MC out into some other directory and runs a parallel version of MC with TFC on it :D

An autoinstaller for TFCraft wouldn't be illegal, just get permission from the Dev Team first.

Or, you could - y'know, just install the mod.

Well thats the thing Eternal. I have many users of my bukkit server whom I've told about the mod, and hands down, the biggest reason I've seen personally for people not trying it out, its the somewhat advanced nature of the install process. Making it easier for people to install is just an obvious step in the right direction... Telling people to suck it up and do it the old fashioned way is the opposite of progress

It's the same instillation process as all other mods. Hell I've installed the technic pack with out the installer (downloaded all the mods myself) this is easy to do compared to that!!!!

Well thats the thing Eternal. I have many users of my bukkit server whom I've told about the mod, and hands down, the biggest reason I've seen personally for people not trying it out, its the somewhat advanced nature of the install process. Making it easier for people to install is just an obvious step in the right direction... Telling people to suck it up and do it the old fashioned way is the opposite of progress

I suggest MultiMC to the people who think it is a little difficult to install mods. I used to manually mess with the jar file every time I wanted to play with a new mod, but once someone pointed out MultiMC it became much easier to deal with overall. You can create extra 'instances' of minecraft without altering the actual minecraft itself, and adding mods is as simple as dragging the zip files over. You don't even have to unzip them. The only real difficulty (if you can even call it that) is you have to have certain mods placed in the same order you would have to install them. If that's still a problem for them, then well bukkit users are a bit spoiled then as far as the modding community goes I guess.

I don't understand. How hard could they be finding it to install a mod (which to my knowledge all mods do the same thing) that provides a step by step list of baby steps that they need to do to install and play the mod. Other mods are harder, but still did they never even try to install it. Is the big bad process looming over them like a ten ton anvil waiting to fall? Encourage them that it is easy and that they can do it. After they do it once or twice I think you will find they think it's easy too. If they are just lazy like me, then I recomend MultiMC. It's the same process, but faster and easier.

...seriously? This mod takes me all of 2 minutes to install. Probably less.If you're so thick that you can't get 7zip and just drag-and-drop a few things, then this mod is obviously too complicated for said person in the first place

I've installed the mod multiple times correctly and i'm having issues with the latest version. The solution is not going 'that person is stupid,' the solution is to find the cause of the problem and correct it. issues can range from OS to OS, as well as different models of the same computer.An installer seems like a very viable and useful solution to the 'whole mod is broken because you forgot to drag 1 file into the ADSF folder' issue.

I agree that putting people down doesn't help anything. I also understand that there is no good way to make installing these mods any easier. If you are having trouble then I suggest http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/forum/11-support/ , if on the other hand you just want it to be faster then I suggest http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1000645-multimc-31-windows-linux-mac/ . I understand that we all don't speak the same language and translations do from time to time get confusing and for that I recomend http://www.youtube.com/ .

The support topic is little to no help as no one checks there often enough, and when they do you get a lot of 'delete META-INF.'

I've installed the mod multiple times correctly and i'm having issues with the latest version. The solution is not going 'that person is stupid,' the solution is to find the cause of the problem and correct it. issues can range from OS to OS, as well as different models of the same computer.An installer seems like a very viable and useful solution to the 'whole mod is broken because you forgot to drag 1 file into the ADSF folder' issue.

Or you could just do what I do and ctrl+A to select every file in the folder for simultaneous dragging...

Do you have ModLoader installed? If so remove it. The new version of MCForge includes it's own copy and will conflict if you install ModLoader as well.

Or you could just do what I do and ctrl+A to select every file in the folder for simultaneous dragging...

That would work except that mac replaces files instead of merging them. not knowing that your net file is being destroyed can be a pain in the ass, especially when you are following the step by step. Like i said, issues vary from OS to OS, model to model. Simply going 'well just drag everything and dump it in the .jar' simply doesn't work for some people.

That would work except that mac replaces files instead of merging them. not knowing that your net file is being destroyed can be a pain in the ass, especially when you are following the step by step. Like i said, issues vary from OS to OS, model to model. Simply going 'well just drag everything and dump it in the .jar' simply doesn't work for some people.

Well then your solution is simple - get an actual computer instead of a piece of retarded fruit.

Everyone knows games aren't meant for those odious things.

Or, you could - y'know, just install the mod.

...seriously? This mod takes me all of 2 minutes to install. Probably less.If you're so thick that you can't get 7zip and just drag-and-drop a few things, then this mod is obviously too complicated for said person in the first place

Well then your solution is simple - get an actual computer instead of a piece of retarded fruit.

Everyone knows games aren't meant for those odious things.

Eternal, I'm a little disappointed in you. While I agree some people need to bite the bullet and just try to install it, you have made 4 posts in 1 thread and have only contributed how ctrl+A can select every file in a folder. Everything else has been either talking down to others, or mocking people's choice of computer. What I said at the end of my earlier posts may not have been nice, but at least I tried to offer a possible incentive to attempt installing with MultiMC. Even you, at some point, must have had some reservations about altering files on your computer for the first time.

Usually when you occasionally make quasi on-topic comments, the results are amusing. Right now, you are just demeaning others as well as yourself.

Eternal, I'm a little disappointed in you. While I agree some people need to bite the bullet and just try to install it, you have made 4 posts in 1 thread and have only contributed how ctrl+A can select every file in a folder. Everything else has been either talking down to others, or mocking people's choice of computer. What I said at the end of my earlier posts may not have been nice, but at least I tried to offer a possible incentive to attempt installing with MultiMC. Even you, at some point, must have had some reservations about altering files on your computer for the first time.

Usually when you occasionally make quasi on-topic comments, the results are amusing. Right now, you are just demeaning others as well as yourself.

v_v sorry...

...except for the part about insulting Macs. That, I will never apologize for.

I hate to say this, well not really, but most likely nobody else will like it but whats wrong with technic. Why couldn't we just go with them we get a much larger audience support from a ton of other very successful modders and no installation process. I think I'm missing something though, why no technic?

I think I'm missing something though, why no technic?

Let's please keep in mind that this mod is either in Alpha or at the most Beta. It's not stable enough or developed enough to consider putting it in any form of pack. This is aside from my personal bais against packs, which stems from their lack of support of the modders who take the time to write them so that we don't have to. That being said, if they were to make a "technic pack" sometimes it might go a week or two without changing or it might change three to four times a day. Would you like to update it with every patch. No? I didn't think so. Please be patient this mod will eventually be finished at which point these talks might or might not be fruitful. Until then it is unreasonable to ask or expect such a pack to come out. I'm glad we all can test, play, and enjoy Bioxx's mod, but keep in mind it's still very much undeveloped and will change alot until he finishes with it.

I would suggest you go look up technic pack its rather handy really it has a launcher which is able to launch multiple packs. TFC would be an individual "pack" and would have no mods added to it. The launcher is self updating which means no work on our part just a short wait. Each pack updates on its own schedule so everything is up to date always. So yes, I would like to update with every patch because it already does that. If you ask me this should help development with more modders and a large donation audience. It's the mod just we don't need to work to update , its easily accessible as are the many other mods available with the technic pack and launcher. Your arguments are invalid. With the automatic updates some mods (forestry is the only one I know of) conflict. I was wondering if this was the problem or if there was some other technical issue I wasn't aware of.

Seconded.

On that note, I have written a working verison of this modloader / installer. I have it set up so that it can be distributed with the zip / jar files for this mod and its dependencies with no proprietary assemblies from mojang. So without violating any of the EULA contracts for MC, I have successfully written in installer. Even more, I set it up so that user can define multiple configurations for MC in this app and manage/launch them right from there. All of the configurations load indepdently of one another so they have their own Worlds, last login info, etc. Now all I need is support from the Mod developers :D. Ill try to get some screenshots uploaded.