Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
BronyPwny

Realistic chicken drops and arrow crafting

26 posts in this topic

I know this seems rather minor, but honestly, I think the fact that chickens don't drop feathers at all times is kind of annoying... They're freakin' MADE of the stuff, feathers and meat... So I suggest making feathers drop more frequently, MUCH more frequently. anywhere between 3-7 feathers per chicken

But, there's a catch, Arrows require a line of three at the bottom to make one arrow, that's right, ONE arrow. one feather should not account for four arrows, nor should one stick and one rock. An arrow has three fletchings (in this case, feathers). With the frequency of rocks and sticks, though, making a ton of arrows still wouldn't be too hard, if the feather count went up to 3-7 per chicken.

Maybe even be able to make arrows in stages. three feathers in the bottom corner can make fletching, a rock on top of a stick makes the arrow shaft, the arrow shaft on top of the fletchings makes the arrow. This way, arrows could be made without the use of a crafting table, and thus could easily be made in the field. It would help bow users out a TON if this were the case, as feathers are now, kind of, a rarity compared to the rest of the materials needed to make arrows.

Just a suggestion, maybe even have the chickens drop thighs, wings, and legs, each of which, when cooked, heal hunger a differing amount, but that would just start to add to clutter more then anything...

Interesting, very interesting. I like this idea but you are right the wings, thigh etc. would just add too much "clutter" as you put it. The arrow thing I like because it makes more sense than 1 feather, 1 rock, and 1 arrow somehow managing to make 4 arrows. The abundance of the sticks and rocks compared to the feathers makes a larger quantity of feathers per chicken a necessity.

Look at the butchering thread (either of them) they explain what everyone wants to do. Fletchings are half a feather also

In real life you have to clip chicken's wings to keep them from flying out of the yard, Chickens also moult there feathers. You dont need to kill a chicken to get its feathers.

Chickens should drop very, very large quantities of feathers. Far more than is suggested in this thread.

With animals taking so longer to give birth to new animals, arrows will become extremely scarce otherwise.

Well arrows were fairly scare as it was because they used flint, and flint was a very, very limited thing before so not much has changed in that matter other then you could hunt skeletons for a source of arrows.

But in all honestly you don't really Need feathers to make an arrow, it just helps make them more stable in long flights so they were more accurate.

That changed a while ago, arrows can be made with the rocks instead now. More feathers yes, but them being randomly dropped would cause a huge amount of lag. Feathers should be found only when you pluck them.

That changed a while ago, arrows can be made with the rocks instead now. More feathers yes, but them being randomly dropped would cause a huge amount of lag. Feathers should be found only when you pluck them.

I'm well aware, like I had stated Flint use to be the limiting factor on making a large stock pile of arrows, and now it is feathers being the limiting factor.

Because when you are making arrows not just any feather will work if you are putting the fletching on them, they normally have to be the larger feathers that are nice and stiff (AKA flight feathers)

Just went and counted, there are thirty fletching worthy feathers and that chicken. one chicken = 30 feathers on death = no longer a problem. Thats 15 to 20 arrows per chicken which aren't exactly a rare commodity.

Just went and counted, there are thirty fletching worthy feathers and that chicken. one chicken = 30 feathers on death = no longer a problem. Thats 15 to 20 arrows per chicken which aren't exactly a rare commodity.

And then harvest time at the chicken coup = melted processor.

This is where the butchery thread would have to come in. Pulling 30 feathers each out of 5 different GUIs and picking 150 loose feathers up off the ground are 2 very different animals

Yeah I talked about the butchery thread earlier i just didn't want to re-explain it

Yea, well, the initial plan was more feathers, and realistic arrow makings, though I guess "realistic" arrows would use a proper arrowhead made of some kind of metal... Which could be added to make more damaging arrows, if that's at all possible. something like stone do the least amount of damage, but the better the arrowhead, the better the damage. That could be fairly cool, though I don't know how you'd make it, as using an entire bar of metal to smith one arrowhead would be rather... wasteful. I guess you could have one bar make 5 arrowheads.

Either way, I know fletchings are only half a feather, but there really isn't a "Half-feather" item, and adding that would, again, increase clutter (though, that would mean 1.5 feathers, if feathers broke down into half-feathers, with my idea of an arrow recipe, would make an arrow... As opposed to my thought of 3 feathers)

Yea, well, the initial plan was more feathers, and realistic arrow makings, though I guess "realistic" arrows would use a proper arrowhead made of some kind of metal... Which could be added to make more damaging arrows, if that's at all possible. something like stone do the least amount of damage, but the better the arrowhead, the better the damage. That could be fairly cool, though I don't know how you'd make it, as using an entire bar of metal to smith one arrowhead would be rather... wasteful. I guess you could have one bar make 5 arrowheads.

Either way, I know fletchings are only half a feather, but there really isn't a "Half-feather" item, and adding that would, again, increase clutter (though, that would mean 1.5 feathers, if feathers broke down into half-feathers, with my idea of an arrow recipe, would make an arrow... As opposed to my thought of 3 feathers)

The improving heads mechanic has already been fleshed out in a separate thread. The consensus was that improved heads would not increase damage (which would be as broken as a sparrow in a tumble drier full of rocks), but that higher tiered heads would increase the probability that the arrow would drop as a retrievable item even after a successful hit.

Ah, so I'm now starting to suggest ideas that have already been stated... Well, at least the arrow recipe is unique, at least to my knowledge...

Sometimes its hard not to we have had a lot of ideas. I think someone may have said multiple heads per bar but look on the bright side great minds do think alike. I was thinking more along the lines of just using 2 feathers per arrow also although I suppose only two fletchings may work.

If its a good feather one should be enough (giving two "wings" for the arrow).

Or if we have a fletching tool, it can give a chance to fail = sometimes you fail or the feather wasn't good enough.

For those ****** who don't like randomness, well we can't have several types of quality of feathers giving several types of arrows.

The improving heads mechanic has already been fleshed out in a separate thread. The consensus was that improved heads would not increase damage (which would be as broken as a sparrow in a tumble drier full of rocks), but that higher tiered heads would increase the probability that the arrow would drop as a retrievable item even after a successful hit.

I think people are going to only use higher tier arrows for hunting, as opposed to combat. Perhaps higher tiered arrows could go through armor better or something like that.

I think people are going to only use higher tier arrows for hunting, as opposed to combat. Perhaps higher tiered arrows could go through armor better or something like that.

I really don't want to be seen as rattling on about this (I'm honestly not just trying to promote my own threads all the time :S)

but, if you don't like that, I did lay out an alternative in my ranged overhaul thread:

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/1072-total-ranged-overhaul/

As far as the feathers go, I'm not too happy about having to kill chickens off to get feathers. Maybe take an idea from the sheep and have a way to get feathers more efficiently? Sheep can be sheared for 1-3 wool, whereas killing them gets you one and only one piece. Perhaps for chickens a simple right click with an empty hand, only performable after a certain (probably fairly long) amount of time would be odd, but I think it would be fair as far as a game mechanic. I would want to make a tool for it, but I can't think of anything that would make taking feathers off a live chicken easier or more efficient. Unless you could communicate to the chicken to let them know the other option is death.

-snip-

I'm pretty sure there isn't a tool for plucking chickens. Just saying, if there isn't a tool for it, there is no need to invent one :P

I must admit, I'm pretty tired of the poor efficiency of gathering wool until you get *reasonably* far through the game

Ya normally you don't pluck chickens until after you kill them , mostly because their feathers do have blood vessels connected to them and that would makea bloody mess (and likely kill the poor thing)

But like all birds Chickens do drop feathers year round much like we shed old hair

-snip-

Silva is right, plucking live chickens just doesn't make sense. I can't think of a decent analogy right now, but rest assured, it's not a good idea :P

Chickens can have some feathers plucked without *dying*, but if you were to pluck any large number, they would freeze to death, or die from the shock.

That's not even mentioning the fact that it's actually far less cruel to kill a chicken and then pluck it than it is to even try and pluck it alive (If that is what is bothering you, I couldn't care less about the wellbeing of virtual animals :P)

Was just offering a simple to code alternative to having them fall off in the world and causing that lag when there are too many items floating about. I know it doesn't have a lot of logic behind it, but I was more focusing on it being an acceptable game mechanic. I'm not saying pluck the chicken naked and get 100 feathers, more like grab a loose feather every half a minecraft day or so.

I vote we just gather them at death and call it good, no problems with believably or with lag.

Also, arrows don't need arrowheads. To balance it, as was proposed before, metal arrowheads would be (almost?) always retrievable, stone arrowheads, would be retrievable only if it does not do damage (or maybe, sometimes?), and headless arrows would be always lost, as they cant withstand any kind of damage.

If the amount of feather you can get from chicken bothers you, you can think on it as a "pile" of feather.