Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Brodiggan

Stone Flakes and Arrowheads

19 posts in this topic

Instead of having the 'stone flakes' from knapping disappear when you try and place them (or disappear when you pick them up if you drop them in the world), make them into a resource for making stone arrowheads (Either 1 to 1 flake to arrowhead, or three flakes per arrowhead arranged in a V pattern).

... Firstly, how you manage to join those flakes in the form of an arrow head? They are just magicaly attracted to each other?

Also, Taking in count the size of the rocks, those flakes would be almost dust...

... Firstly, how the f+ck you manage to join those flakes in the form of an arrow head? They are just magicaly attracted to each other?

There's no need to be rude. Critique is welcome, but there's no need to pepper it with insults. Now as to the actual constructive parts of what you said...

Joining multiple flakes isn't realistic at all, no, it would simply be an abstraction for balance sake, to avoid one piece of stone producing too many arrowheads. Another option to accomplish the same goal would be to have chipping off a flake produce a piece you could use to make arrows some percentage of the time, 1 in 3, 1 in 4, whatever was best for balance.

The overall idea was just to give the 'stone flakes' in the knapping interface some use (so they don't feel like such a kludge when they mysteriously vanish) and to more closely model the way real stone arrowheads would be made (i.e., by shaping all the smaller flakes you sheer off when knapping).

Also, Taking in count the size of the rocks, those flakes would be almost dust...

The size of rocks (and a lot of other things in Minecraft/TFC) is a bit iffy. In some situations (and in the sprite) they look small, but then you can also place them to form large cobblestone blocks, or make stone bricks out of them... so I'm not sure size consistency is a concern here, really.

Why not just knap rocks into arrowheads?

I think the rocks are going to get a model soon, considering that it's currently programmer art.

Why not just knap rocks into arrowheads?

That would be fine too, I was just coming at this from "Is there something better that could be done with the 'stone flakes' from knapping, that didn't make it feel like such a kludge?" and arrowheads were the first thing that sprang to mind, especially considering the number of arrows you tend to go through if you are doing any archery, and how expensive metal arrowheads can be in terms of materials.

That would be fine too, I was just coming at this from "Is there something better that could be done with the 'stone flakes' from knapping, that didn't make it feel like such a kludge?" and arrowheads were the first thing that sprang to mind, especially considering the number of arrows you tend to go through if you are doing any archery, and how expensive metal arrowheads can be in terms of materials.

What would you do with tiny flakes of stone?

Maybe, depending on the stone, you could get some flux from the chips, but there's not a lot else I can see you doing with a pebble.

• Stone tools are now made via knapping. Place two rocks in a crafting grid and pickup the result. This will launch a knapping gui. Use the mouse to remove bits of rock until you form the shape of the desired tool. Recipes are the same as Plans for the various stone tools. It is recommended that you use shift click to remove the rock. Do not toss the items out of the gui into the world as unknown issues may occur. You’ve been warned.

ehhhh

• Stone tools are now made via knapping. Place two rocks in a crafting grid and pickup the result. This will launch a knapping gui. Use the mouse to remove bits of rock until you form the shape of the desired tool. Recipes are the same as Plans for the various stone tools. It is recommended that you use shift click to remove the rock. Do not toss the items out of the gui into the world as unknown issues may occur. You’ve been warned.
ehhhh

He's not talking about the rock... he's talking about the rock chunks you remove from the rock in the knapping GUI to make the tool ._.

What would you do with tiny flakes of stone?

Maybe, depending on the stone, you could get some flux from the chips, but there's not a lot else I can see you doing with a pebble.

sling shots anyone?

He's not talking about the rock... he's talking about the rock chunks you remove from the rock in the knapping GUI to make the tool ._.

Exactly

While I'm not particularly for combining pebbles into small rocks, I would like to see some efficiency options at some point. Steve could easily break a rock in half, then knap the two parts.

Such as

011101000100000  -> 2 Pickaxe Heads0111010001010011101111011  -> 2 Knife Blades1101111011111110001100000  -> 2 Hoe Heads1111100011101011010110101  -> 3 Chisel Heads10101		 (If this gets brought to anvils, and chisels lose durability from right-clicking)10101

It could even be possible to split an ingot into two, or even three parts (as above) to create multiple tool heads.

Why its not as if we have a shortage of rock.

Why its not as if we have a shortage of rock.

Mostly because it's faster.

I only disagree with how unreal it is to split a (presumably) fist-sized rock into multiple tool heads.

On a semi-related note...instead of ingots and 2x ingots, couldn't we have small, medium, and large ingots? Mostly to price item costs a little more finely. Huge ingots, and other sizes could be created if we wanted even more granular price tweaking.

... Firstly, how you manage to join those flakes in the form of an arrow head? They are just magicaly attracted to each other?

then how in the hell are you getting a hammer/knife/pickaxe out of it?

Stone Arrowheads Wouldn't be all that big, hell neither are the metal tips on modern ones.

then how in the hell are you getting a hammer/knife/pickaxe out of it?

Stone Arrowheads Wouldn't be all that big, hell neither are the metal tips on modern ones.

You get it because the stone flakes you left are still joined, while those that you take away for making the tool head aren't joined any more.

And i agree they wouldn't be that big, but a stone chunk isn't -for me- enaff to make a stone arrow head.

And i agree they wouldn't be that big, but a stone chunk isn't -for me- enaff to make a stone arrow head.

This is exactly how actual stone arrowheads were made (which was why I chose that as something reasonable the flakes could be used for instead of just disappearing).

Flaking would produce stones of varying size, many of which would be TOO LARGE to make an arrowhead.

You only really need a thin piece of stone about 1 inch long with sufficient width to make a small arrowhead, and they can go bigger.