Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.

12 posts in this topic

Hey,

Just wondering if bones and / or bone meal had any usages with this mod.

Have you not looked at either the wiki or the changelog?

To answer your question -

Bones can be used to tame wolves as normal, or as a replacement for a stick in any stone tool recipes. Bone meal no longer acts as fertiliser for plants, so its only use is as dye. Hope that helps. :)

Yes, Biodigious, I have looked at the wiki, the pages for bone axes and such were blank the last time I checked, not really the kind of help I was looking for from the wiki...

No problem man. The mod is still in beta, so sometimes stuff gets left behind or is subject to change I suppose.

i've been wondering about using bones to make tools with too, basically.

1. how do they compare durability wise to using sticks? NOT asking for a numeric answer here, just in general does it make the tool more or less durable? i'm under the impression it should be more durable, but i'd like to know for sure.

2. are they only usable in stone tool recipes?

thanks.

Bone tools doesn't use the bone handdle sprite, :(

yeah i wondered what was up with that too since i noticed the sprites are still there and you can even give yourself the bone tools that use them with NEI.

There is no change in durabilty, only the stone type used affects that

ah ok, thanks for the info, i couldn't tell one way or the other, frankly i'd think bone handles would be stronger, but not an issue.

I would hope that in the future bones would be put to more use as hilts/handles. I would think that bones break pretty easily though, compared to strong wood.

IRL, It does depend on the bone used, I think the older a bone gets, the more likely it would be to splinter than wood. Wood is comprised primarily of cellulose of plant cell walls, so its basically a honeycomb structure at the lowest level organized into sheets of growth rings (cells of differing size and density affected by seasonal differences in sunlight and water availability affecting tree growth rates) that form the "grain" that you hear people talk about so much in woodworking. (its actually slightly more complex than that, due to the water and sugar transport tissues that plants form in their stems, but still, its a fibrous material, that gives it both strength and some amount of flexibility.)

Bones actually have a sort of growth pattern themselves, but they're mineralized and as such are much harder than wood is, so if they take a strong shock at the wrong angle, they'd probably shatter and crack when would would bend a bit to take the impact.

It also depends whether you're dealing with a rib vs a long-bone like a femur or ulna, where in this game all bones are the same. Also the organism it was taken from, human bones are quite brittle, but some animal bones are VERY resistant to breaking.

I think it would be nice if we could get mobs that would give us ivory or some other material that we could use for stronger or more decorative handles. (could maybe carve the handle to fit a gem, and give some use to the gems.)