Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
The Shadow

46c Experimentation: Ores

115 posts in this topic

I would like it to be harder to get to low depths, like you really really need to stut your caves or otherwise guaranteed collapse. and that you get like stronger mobs or a tough challenge at those depths.

Back with hard data! Took a bit of editing to get MCEdit to read the new TFC block types

How would one go about doing this?

I'm interested to find out if the multiplayer world I genned for some friends is as ore-devoid as it appears to be after carving a 30 block diameter tunnel down to bedrock with TNT and not finding any.

How would one go about doing this?

I'm interested to find out if the multiplayer world I genned for some friends is as ore-devoid as it appears to be after carving a 30 block diameter tunnel down to bedrock with TNT and not finding any.

go looking through this thread to page 3 and find Brodiggan's post (post #55)

than go through the next couple pages to find my questions on how to install what you just downloaded

if your new to this you will also require MCedit (a world editing program)

hope this helps :)

go looking through this thread to page 3 and find Brodiggan's post (post #55)

than go through the next couple pages to find my questions on how to install what you just downloaded

if your new to this you will also require MCedit (a world editing program)

hope this helps :)

Ah sweet, thanks.

Edit:

Woo, our world was practically devoid of nearby minerals. Didn't check very far out, just the 100x100 area in which the sluices were scanning (all the way down to bedrock).

Results? A medium pocket of sphalerite, a massive chuck of olivine, and a large sample of jet.

The sphalerite doesn't even qualify as "near surface" even under the loose definition of "y=119 and up." It was sitting at y=115 and down (was about 6 blocks thick, highest was 115).

Side note: despite the yaml file, I still had unknown blocks. Mostly dirt, but also some stone types.

Ah sweet, thanks.

Edit:

Woo, our world was practically devoid of nearby minerals. Didn't check very far out, just the 100x100 area in which the sluices were scanning (all the way down to bedrock).

Results? A medium pocket of sphalerite, a massive chuck of olivine, and a large sample of jet.

The sphalerite doesn't even qualify as "near surface" even under the loose definition of "y=119 and up." It was sitting at y=115 and down (was about 6 blocks thick, highest was 115).

Side note: despite the yaml file, I still had unknown blocks. Mostly dirt, but also some stone types.

the unknown blocks is to be expected

as an idea, in MCedit scan your hole word from one end to another.

than live in the general area with the highest ore count

its cheating but in your case it might be needed

the unknown blocks is to be expected

Understandable. I edited the yaml file to include dirt and grass (or at least, one variation) as it was easy.

as an idea, in MCedit scan your hole word from one end to another.

than live in the general area with the highest ore count

its cheating but in your case it might be needed

"whole" and "then"

But in any case, doing that shouldn't be neccessary.

Ah sweet, thanks.

Edit:

that's a pretty abnormal spawn by my tests.

Sphalerite is usually the most common ore spawned (on larger maps, cassiterite and the 2 coals will win out), and is nearly always the ore with the highest number of above-sea-level spawns, followed by cassiterite, bismuthinite and native copper...

i haven't run into a map yet without any y>=144 spawns yet.

that's a pretty abnormal spawn by my tests.

Sphalerite is usually the most common ore spawned (on larger maps, cassiterite and the 2 coals will win out), and is nearly always the ore with the highest number of above-sea-level spawns, followed by cassiterite, bismuthinite and native copper...

i haven't run into a map yet without any y>=144 spawns yet.

If you've got, or can point me to, a script I can run to determine ore distribution without having to manually go in and strip mine all of the stone with MCEdit, that'd be awesome.

Then I can tell you for sure how abnormal the world is.

Edit:

In other news, I broke 8 chunks of my single player game. Derp, derp, forgot to go back to TFC-only jar and configs, caused some kind of block data error that deleted all blocks from ground (leaving grass and dirt) all the way to bedrock. Left a giant hunk of sphalerite and a layer of quartz.

If you've got, or can point me to, a script I can run to determine ore distribution without having to manually go in and strip mine all of the stone with MCEdit, that'd be awesome.

Then I can tell you for sure how abnormal the world is.

Edit:

In other news, I broke 8 chunks of my single player game. Derp, derp, forgot to go back to TFC-only jar and configs, caused some kind of block data error that deleted all blocks from ground (leaving grass and dirt) all the way to bedrock. Left a giant hunk of sphalerite and a layer of quartz.

in mcedit theres a tool called analyze

select an area you wish to analyze and a list of blocks and entitys will be generated

this is rather useful for large area scanning but can be abit of a ram hog on some computers

in mcedit theres a tool called analyze

select an area you wish to analyze and a list of blocks and entitys will be generated

this is rather useful for large area scanning but can be abit of a ram hog on some computers

Yeah, but that doesn't tell me how deep, plus I have to already know the ID numbers, particularly if the ore isn't recognized in the yaml file.

Yeah, but that doesn't tell me how deep, plus I have to already know the ID numbers, particularly if the ore isn't recognized in the yaml file.

hmm

your mcedit doesn't tell you the ore amount of that region by name ? odd

hmm

your mcedit doesn't tell you the ore amount of that region by name ? odd

I didn't check for ores specifically when I had it open.

All I know is that a fair number of blocks were unrecognized.

But even if all of the ore is listed by name, that still leaves the issue of it's min, max, and average depth.

Instead of using worldedit this time, I used an external program to strip all the non-ore/non-bedrock blocks out of a world I'd been playing in previously. I then flew a wide circuit along the edges of the space that created (forcing more chunks to generate), and repeated the process. When I was done, I had an area roughly 25 chunks wide by 30 long in which every deposit of ore, even a single block, was exposed.

Thread necromancy for current version.

Firstly, does anyone have data for the current version? If not will the posted yaml file work or will it need to be updated?

Second, Brodiggan what 'external program' did you use and where can I get it?

The download links no longer work.  Anyone have an updated yaml file?

The download links no longer work.  Anyone have an updated yaml file?

You do realize the last post before yours was about 3 years ago right?

This thread has been locked to prevent further necro.