Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jed1314

Thoughts on B47 ?

117 posts in this topic

Useful Link:

http://www.terrafirmacraft.com/change-log/

• Stone anvils are now incredibly simple. With a hammer in your hand right click on the top of a block of raw stone anywhere. It will be turned into a temporary stone anvil. Once you close the gui, the anvil will revert to raw stone. I’ll work on making the anvil continue to look like raw stone later. For now it turns into an anvil model.

Worth noting that the requirement on using igneous has not been lifted, and there are protections in place to stop you from hauling back a block of smoothstone once you do have a pick. You'll probably want to set up a temporary shelter in the nearest igneous biome once you find a likely anvil.

So I've got ore chunks off the surface (bismuthite) which I can smelt into unshaped ingots ...

Now how exactly do I get the stone blocks for an anvil as I don't have a pick because I can't shape the unshaped ingots for which I need a stone anvil ...

make and use an anvil in the field and bring the pick plans with you is what i wound up doing, personally.

i made a little dugout anvil room as near the base as i could and then used the pick to transplant it indoors when i could.

My quick 2 cents worth on b47 is: " AWESOME ". B47 did so much right that it got be caught back in!

It still has its quirks and bits but in general the whole look and feel of the mod goes in the absolute right direction.

Altho the entry seems a bit harder to me its more belivable ( " as in it feels realistic " ) and hard work pays off!

Useful Link:

http://www.terrafirm...com/change-log/

• Stone anvils are now incredibly simple. With a hammer in your hand right click on the top of a block of raw stone anywhere. It will be turned into a temporary stone anvil. Once you close the gui, the anvil will revert to raw stone. I’ll work on making the anvil continue to look like raw stone later. For now it turns into an anvil model.

wait, does this mean that anvils are meant to revert back to a stone block? i'd thought that was a bug and honestly was hoping to see it fixed soon.

So are the ores from the surface rocks supposed to indicate what ore are nearby underground? That was my understanding from the change-log, but not what I've observed.

I found a spot with two cassiterite, and set up triple sluice boxes there. I've gone through 2, maybe 2.5 stacks of gravel without getting any cassiterite from the sluices. However, I have gotten 10 native copper nuggets. The only native copper I found in rocks was a bit over 100 meters away, so I found this pretty surprising. (The sluice boxes are only a couple meters from where I found the cassiterite.)

Approximately how much gravel should I have to go through before I can say with confidence what is/isn't nearby?

Also, it doesn't matter where the gravel comes from, right? It all stacks together, so it seems like it has no data tucked away inside.

Does flint have any use currently? It's odd transitioning from normal minecraft where gravel is my preferred scaffolding/pillaring block since that turns it into the much more useful flint, to now being very careful to not place any gravel and trying to figure out if I can torch-harvest some of it from below to prevent it from becoming flint.

wait, does this mean that anvils are meant to revert back to a stone block? i'd thought that was a bug and honestly was hoping to see it fixed soon.

Yup, that's what it seems like and how I interpreted it. You're just using the stone's surface to resist the metal as you hit it with the hammer, you're not turning the raw stone into an actual anvil. Anyways, with the annoyance of it turning back and being unable to store your hammer, plans and flux in a rock, it gives you more incentive to try and make an actual anvil ASAP.

I'd say 47 is definitely a step up from the previous versions. I just wish there was a better way to figure out where clay is.

What are the requirements for a firepit to count as a charcoal pit now? I placed 144 logs around/over a firepit, covered the thing with dirt, lit it, and blocked off the entrance. 18 hours later (plus a bit of fudge factor) I open it up, and all the logs are still there, with the firepit in the middle. Concerned that maybe I had gotten far enough away for the chunk to unload, I built a shack right next to my charcoal pit and started it up again. I idled in the shack, checking the smoke every now and then. I noticed that the smoke coming through the dirt stopped at maybe 12 hours in. Around 20 hours after start time, I opened it up and found that once again everything was still there. (Except the 4 fuel logs, of course.)

Do I not have enough logs? In the last build I tried, I used the maximum (464?) logs, but this time I was only trying to get a single stack of charcoal, since any more is just overkill until I've found a good place to set up a permanent base. I think my fire must be hot enough, I built it in a desert and am using 4x Hickory for the fuel.

I think you have to have logs directly over the firepit to start it, and then from there that log square has to be touching the other logs.

I noticed on SSP only that starter log will smoke, and in SMP none of the logs smoke.

—

When I break a stone and it gives me ore I mark it some how (usually just cobble stone) then later I dig down in an area that gave alot of that ore.

So far its been pretty accurate as showing ore deposits tho some times it is a bit deeper than 12 squares so the propick wont pick it up until a few blocks down.

Yeah, I had logs directly over the firepit, and some of the other logs were touching that one.

Once I got up to 16 nuggets of copper, I decided to try smelting that, since the wiki says that copper can be smelted in the firepit. Is that still accurate? Desert biome (43 celsius), hickory for fuel, spamming the bellows as fast as I can, I got the copper as hot as "Orange****" but no hotter. The firepit's temperature bar is still only a little over halfway up. Based on some old videos I think you need to get the temperature bar to about 90% to smelt copper. If so, how do I do that? I tried making a second bellows and alternating between them, but that didn't seem to help.

(Also, is having a fired ceramic mold in one of the output slots the right way to try to catch the liquid metal? This is the first time I've actually had metal to smelt, never found any in 44b.)

Yup, that's what it seems like and how I interpreted it. You're just using the stone's surface to resist the metal as you hit it with the hammer, you're not turning the raw stone into an actual anvil. Anyways, with the annoyance of it turning back and being unable to store your hammer, plans and flux in a rock, it gives you more incentive to try and make an actual anvil ASAP.

fair enough, i thought it was unintended, it really seems like a silly change honestly no matter which way i look at it, harvesting anvils like fruit, seriously?

but you have a very good point with metal anvils.

So are the ores from the surface rocks supposed to indicate what ore are nearby underground? That was my understanding from the change-log, but not what I've observed.

I found a spot with two cassiterite, and set up triple sluice boxes there. I've gone through 2, maybe 2.5 stacks of gravel without getting any cassiterite from the sluices. However, I have gotten 10 native copper nuggets. The only native copper I found in rocks was a bit over 100 meters away, so I found this pretty surprising. (The sluice boxes are only a couple meters from where I found the cassiterite.)

Approximately how much gravel should I have to go through before I can say with confidence what is/isn't nearby?

Also, it doesn't matter where the gravel comes from, right? It all stacks together, so it seems like it has no data tucked away inside.

This was my biggest confusion point so far with the new changes. Keep getting weird small ores from the little rocks that dont corrispond at all with the rock strata underneith. Also how long will a sluice in one spot work? does it draw the ore out..do you get 5 pieces and then your done? Or can you keep going indefinetetly if your lazy enough not to go looking for it?

On a side not been playing this mod for about 3 weeks or so, back in B45/46 with the really lack of findable ores. This is a huge improvment and just want to say thanks for this mod.

So metal ores appear to be sorta fixed .. other than finding nuggets on the surface is no guarentee that any of that ore is actaully withinrange of a pro-pick.

The next question is how the heck fo you find coal? anyone found any coal nuggets?

There's no way to refine coal into coke (yet?) so coal's sort of a waste of time anyway, since it won't work at a bloomery. Just make charcoal.

---

(Also, is having a fired ceramic mold in one of the output slots the right way to try to catch the liquid metal? This is the first time I've actually had metal to smelt, never found any in 44b.)

YES, you need the ceramic molds in the output slot, if you're trying to melt down ore. Unless of course, you want Steve to dig into the fire pit and scoop of the liquefied metal :).

And yah, finding any ore in the last few versions was nearly torturous. But now starter metals galore.

Apparently all I needed to do to get the copper nugget to melt was quit minecraft and reopen it. Since doing so, getting a copper nugget to "Orange****" causes it to melt.

Using a forest of hickory I got all 16 nuggets melted into a single bar, and then shaped into an ingot -- only to realize that I can't do anything with a copper ingot unless I also have a copper anvil. 14 copper ingots from sluicing alone just isn't going to happen, even aside from the amount of time it would take to melt all those nuggets. I guess it's time to relocate my sluices -- I'm definitely not getting any Cassiterite from the area where I found two surface bits.

I had something similar - I found native copper on the surface, set up loads of sluices, and got only limonite. Lots of limonite, and not a bit of copper. Then I went mining in that area, and found the copper vein without much trouble. I got nothing.

I wondered the same thing, but like you say, if it has data it shouldn't stack.

There's no way to refine coal into coke (yet?) so coal's sort of a waste of time anyway, since it won't work at a bloomery. Just make charcoal.

So the forge has been changed to use charcoal then? must have missed that in the change log .......

the forge is allowed to use coal, coal is NOT a waste of time, it allows you to conserve charcoal (not use it in the forge)

Does being placed in an Ocean biome disqualify a sluice from finding ore?

My second cassiterite find was about 7 blocks inland and 8 blocks above sea level. Since the shore is so steep there, stone prevents me from getting the water flow far enough inland to actually count as being in the "Hills3 Edge" biome rather than the Ocean biome. I set up a sluice right along the shoreline, thinking it would be close enough to the deposit, but I've found no ore from tossing in I-don't-even-know-how-much gravel.

If being in the Ocean biome does disqualify a sluice... would it be realistic to have pumps or water screws made entirely out of wood? I've only ever seen them made of metal, but I can't think of why they'd have to be, other than perhaps durability.

Does being placed in an Ocean biome disqualify a sluice from finding ore?

My second cassiterite find was about 7 blocks inland and 8 blocks above sea level. Since the shore is so steep there, stone prevents me from getting the water flow far enough inland to actually count as being in the "Hills3 Edge" biome rather than the Ocean biome. I set up a sluice right along the shoreline, thinking it would be close enough to the deposit, but I've found no ore from tossing in I-don't-even-know-how-much gravel.

If being in the Ocean biome does disqualify a sluice... would it be realistic to have pumps or water screws made entirely out of wood? I've only ever seen them made of metal, but I can't think of why they'd have to be, other than perhaps durability.

As far as I know, sluices can only be used in the River biome (multiple types of river biomes - river hills, etc.). So I suggest just finding one of those. When you're looking for one be sure to check out the little lakes scattered around (those are usually river biomes, just look a bit silly).

I did eventually get a pair of copper nuggets from the sluice, so I think having it in the Ocean biome is allowed, and I'm just having bad luck.

Yeah, I think I should pack up everything and go traveling until I find either a nice river, or at least a forest biome with ponds above sea level.

I am having a hell of a time finding iron, been searching for a couple days now in sedimentary layers. The server I'm playing on has reached the bronze age, so quite a few of us have gone looking for iron with no success. Still, there's so much to do above ground that it's totally fun still!

All the people in this post crying for balance in the meat from animals in a beta mod do realise that the 15 steaks dropping off a cow is a TEMPORARY feature until the animal and butchery system is finnished right?

Everything doesn't have to be balanced every time something is changed in the progression to a finnished mod, give the team a chance to finalize the system before you complain about the temporary stuff.

As for the no stone pick and stuff. I like it, gives a reason to search for other means such as panning and such.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0