Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flamestrider

No Nonsense, a stone-age guide; Construction

13 posts in this topic

Hi there all TFC:ers

I thought that I should advertise a little about my two guides that I'm working on at the wiki pages.

The "No nonsense" is a bareboned guide on how to get started in the world of Terrafirma. It currently covers all parts of the early game into the creation of anvils and the buildings needed to progress past the stone age. As it it the most up to date guide I have also added a few tips about the later game but I will add no more gameplay from the mid-lategame. If another guide is made for mid/lategame I will remove the tips that extend beyond the stone age.

The "Construction" is a suplementary guide about the new additions that Bioxx is making to the construction of items and blocks. It currently, build 47f, stands mostly as a collectionpoint for the new plank and ingot recipies.

I was feeling like the big "Blocks" thing at the bottom of the main page was getting a bit unwieldly, so for readability I made this 'guide'. Think of it like a resource page untill we have more elements of gameplay added to the construction part of Terrafirma.

To find these pages just go to the wiki and look under the "Gameplay" Heading

Edited by flamestrider

Wiki-update

The "No Nonsense" guide is now complete to the original design plan I had for it, it covers most, if not all, aspects of the early-game that a beginner should know about.

I will continue to update it as the mod progresses and if I find that improvements can be made to the guide.

/Edit Sep 12

Added updates so that the guide holds most tech-based info for build49j

Updated no nonsense to contain all the changes introduced between build 49j and build52e.

Can I recommend some updates?

1) In the knapping section, you don't actually specify that the tool head needs to be combined with a stick to make the actual tool. Maybe this is obvious, but someone completely new may not realize it.

2) In the firepit section, you can recommend digging a hole in the dirt and throwing the sticks in there, to make sure they're all actually on the same square. I know for me it's hard to throw accurately.

3) For the log cabin, it would help to specify that right-click with logs places wood blocks now, and shift-right-click creates the log piles.

Thanks for this guide, it's the one I used to learn my way around back in 48 or 49.

Thank you!

Can I recommend some updates?

1) In the knapping section, you don't actually specify that the tool head needs to be combined with a stick to make the actual tool. Maybe this is obvious, but someone completely new may not realize it.

2) In the firepit section, you can recommend digging a hole in the dirt and throwing the sticks in there, to make sure they're all actually on the same square. I know for me it's hard to throw accurately.

3) For the log cabin, it would help to specify that right-click with logs places wood blocks now, and shift-right-click creates the log piles.

Thanks for this guide, it's the one I used to learn my way around back in 48 or 49.

Appreciate the feedback, updated the guide with the suggestions you had, as-well as some other minor changes.

Signed on these forums to say thanks. Excellent guide!

The mod is incredibly detailed and any expectations you may have or experience with regular MC simply won't cut it... I tried punching a tree thinking i will figure it all out as i go, got a rock and tried punching the tree with the rock... Then i started reading your guide. ;)

The one part i had problems with though was the transition to metal tools. It got confusing with the sluisses and damn near impossible to find the right stone to work the metal on.

I walked and walked and walked and found only the lower tier rock types.

LATE EDIT:

What i mean is, there should be some kind of guide on how to find the right kind of stone. Now i know to just pick up the rocks on the ground and see what they are but more like, what colors of the ground to look for. How to tell the rock textures apart etc.

What i mean is, there should be some kind of guide on how to find the right kind of stone. Now i know to just pick up the rocks on the ground and see what they are but more like, what colors of the ground to look for. How to tell the rock textures apart etc.

Thank you for the comment.

I'm guessing you mean something more in-depth than the http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Stone page? Been thinking about doing something like that now that the NN-guide is more of upkeep rather than flesh out. I know that the part about metals are confusing especially for someone totally new to this mod, still trying to experiment on what would help the most...

Basically though, for the low tier metals you don't really need to look for specific stone since they are quite prevalent in many types, it's more of a later tier thing to look for specific stone-layers to get that elusive special ores :)

Updated the no nonsense guide to build 60, I am thinking about doing a bigger rewrite but I'm unsure of how to approach it for now, any comments or suggestions are welcome, as always :)

Edits and Suggestions

Starting Out:

• "boulder-like things" - change to "rocks" or "rectangular rocks", they're a bit small to be called boulders

• Suggest marking the locations of ore rocks with cobblestone, also explaining that you can place cobblestone by right-clicking with rocks.

Hunting:

• Advise to check the gender of animals before killing them. Leave at least 1 male and 1 female.

• Kill 3 sheep to get wool for a bed.

Agriculture:

• Mention that wild crops can be found.

House:

• Cobblestone makes good walls. You just won't be able to get rid of it for a while.

• The base of a cliff is a good place to start.

• With a bed, you don't need more than a couple walls and some light.

Did an update of the guide to contain the build 66 changes, sorry for being lazy ;) Included some of the suggestions you had Ditto.

Updated the guide to build 75, no big changes, only some rewrites since the wiki had gone mad over the templates.

Just going to chime in here to say thanks, once more, for the work on these guides. The no-nonsense guide (and more generically, the rest of the wiki) is the only reason I ever figured out enough of this game to play and enjoy. You're doing ka's work, sai.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0