Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
ximeeen

Larger Biomes - Realistic Biome Transition

86 posts in this topic

I've made another topic about exactly this quite some time ago, but sadly it went off-topic.

What I would like to see is literally, larger biomes with Realistic Biome Transitions.

Or atleast it's what I suggest could be added as an option.

Or

Simply the option to generate different types of worlds, example; [ Taiga / Mountain / Cold ] World.

Or

The option to exclude biomes from the Terrain Gen, which would let users generate whatever world they would want.

Option Template:

Z------------------------------------------------------------------------Z

|Northern - [Taiga - Mountains - Cold Biomes - Ocean]

| |

|Humid - [Ocean - Jungle(s) - Swamp]

| |

|Arid - [Desert - (Desert Hills?) - (Oasis?)]

| |

|Normal - [Just the usual silly Gen]

Z-------------------------------------------------------------------------Z

--More to come...

Edit: An example on a mod that got this option is ExtraBiomesXL.

Example: http://www.minecraft...biome-selector/

You could ask the creator how it is done, if you don't know how to do it yourself (Which I doubt).

-Ximeeen

already confirmed for future updates

/thread

perhaps as a suggestion with better biomes

could we make the different layers of bedrock fold and warp over each other?

this would create very interesting rock formations and could contribute to how ore veins spawn

ie: ores could spawn in dikes and fissure faults

Oh, is it confirmed?

I think I remember reading about transitions, but not the options of generating different worlds.

The larger biomes section, along with the "believable" -changing the word here :x- biome transition, are either not gonna be necesary -i think Dunk said somewhere they were completely removing biomes and implementing a completely different world gen system...?- or being already implemented.

The later section... i'm not a fan : as i said somewhere else, if i could have chosen the place in the world where i wanted to be born, i would be australian, rather than argentinean. You didn't had a choice about where to born in real life, neither today or back in the stone age. In both cases, you had to survive in the given conditions and place, no excuses -Although the "survival" in the town is not nearly as hard as it was in the stone age :P-. We are talking about a game in which the only goal is to survive. I think that the ability to choose where to spawn would take part of the inmersion in the survival, 'cause you're choosing the conditions -climate, fauna, flora, geology- in which you have to survive. My idea of a game about survival, is a game in which every single save is a completely different challenge with completely different solutions. Now, what's the difference if you choose to have 5 worlds generate in a "Northen" -as you call it- style?

However, i must admit that's only my opinion, and that i have nothing more than that to say no to the idea. So... until i find good argument, i will stay quiet :. If they do add that option, that will be the first TFC feature i will NEVER use. EVER.

Oh, is it confirmed?

I think I remember reading about transitions, but not the options of generating different worlds.

all the 'worlds' you listed will generate, at different latitudes. There will be poles and an equator, if they can code it, and the 'biome' distribution will occur as you described

The larger biomes section, along with the "believable" -changing the word here :x- biome transition, are either not gonna be necesary -i think Dunk said somewhere they were completely removing biomes and implementing a completely different world gen system...?- or being already implemented.

The later section... i'm not a fan : as i said somewhere else, if i could have chosen the place in the world where i wanted to be born, i would be australian, rather than argentinean. You didn't had a choice about where to born in real life, neither today or back in the stone age. In both cases, you had to survive in the given conditions and place, no excuses -Although the "survival" in the town is not nearly as hard as it was in the stone age :P-. We are talking about a game in which the only goal is to survive. I think that the ability to choose where to spawn would take part of the inmersion in the survival, 'cause you're choosing the conditions -climate, fauna, flora, geology- in which you have to survive. My idea of a game about survival, is a game in which every single save is a completely different challenge with completely different solutions. Now, what's the difference if you choose to have 5 worlds generate in a "Northen" -as you call it- style?

However, i must admit that's only my opinion, and that i have nothing more than that to say no to the idea. So... until i find good argument, i will stay quiet :. If they do add that option, that will be the first TFC feature i will NEVER use. EVER.

i had an idea on how to allow for some SMALL choice in what sort of world you will spawn in

the biome slide bar

on the "new world" section at the starting screen of minecraft, why not have a slider bar similar to the ones for volume and brightness

at either end of the slider would be opposite poles

the left being hotter and the right being colder

selecting different areas along this slider will help the game determine what form of terrain and temperature of that terrain

for example, if i selected half way to the right end (the cold end) i could have a better chance at getting a cold mountainous landscape

and if i did the opposite i would have a better chance at spawning in a hotter mountainous area

just a thought

take it as you will

all the 'worlds' you listed will generate, at different latitudes. There will be poles and an equator, if they can code it, and the 'biome' distribution will occur as you described

Yes sir. This was all in a huge post i did a few days ago.

I want to see biomes spanning from 10kilometers to 10meters. I know some can be small but normally it's because they get cut off.

I want to see biomes spanning from 10kilometers to 10meters. I know some can be small but normally it's because they get cut off.

now that would come in handy for mountain area exploration :)

i had an idea on how to allow for some SMALL choice in what sort of world you will spawn in

the biome slide bar

on the "new world" section at the starting screen of minecraft, why not have a slider bar similar to the ones for volume and brightness

at either end of the slider would be opposite poles

the left being hotter and the right being colder

selecting different areas along this slider will help the game determine what form of terrain and temperature of that terrain

for example, if i selected half way to the right end (the cold end) i could have a better chance at getting a cold mountainous landscape

and if i did the opposite i would have a better chance at spawning in a hotter mountainous area

just a thought

take it as you will

... Fair enough : i always can close the eyes, clikc the slider, move the mouse randomly and click in generate world.

Just Another Guy, can't you see it's purely an option from the default gen?

Let us who want it this way choose, you can still have your silly normal gen which is just an random algorithm.

All I want to see is the possibility to CHOOSE a more realistic world gen, hence why I used ExtraBiomesXL as an example.

-Ximeeen

Will this make the world finite in the north and south directions? Would be kinda cool if you get to like 50,000 north or something and its so cold there's now way to survive or progress further.

Will this make the world finite in the north and south directions? Would be kinda cool if you get to like 50,000 north or something and its so cold there's now way to survive or progress further.

Minecraft worlds have an end. Just go in 1 direction about the same distance from the north to south pole irl, do this 8 times and you will crash. Load your world again you will be staring at a cliff, the end.

Yes there will technically be finite worlds, but if you consider how long it would take you to get there, you don't have to worry. (and there will be a point where it gets too cold)

Yes there will technically be finite worlds, but if you consider how long it would take you to get there, you don't have to worry. (and there will be a point where it gets too cold)

Will it be ~160300km from spawn? that might be the easiest place to code it in. Will it be somewhere in a ~26312796160000000000block rectangular prism? If a minecraft world were exactly 8x the size, sadly nobody counted.

The problem is that world wraps can't be spherical without a lot of glitches at the poles or an uncrossable border. Torodial wrap on the other hand is possible however but our worlds would be shaped like donuts.

The problem is that world wraps can't be spherical without a lot of glitches at the poles or an uncrossable border. Torodial wrap on the other hand is possible however but our worlds would be shaped like donuts.

You could have a flat square, where crossing the border puts you on the other surface in a corresponding location.

You could have a flat square, where crossing the border puts you on the other surface in a corresponding location.

I hope not a flat square. It would be a rectangular prism, it is an area allowing full world height and a length and width the same size as each other. It will not be a cube because 256l and w would suck and I guarantee the world l and w will be longer than 1km, 1km world height is laggy for most people. Chunks would have to be rewritten, and still you get lag because there are more chunks.

That's torodial/donut shaped.

As much as I like doughnuts, I don't want my world to be a doughnut. God might eat it.

Just Another Guy, can't you see it's purely an option from the default gen?

Let us who want it this way choose, you can still have your silly normal gen which is just an random algorithm.

All I want to see is the possibility to CHOOSE a more realistic world gen, hence why I used ExtraBiomesXL as an example.

-Ximeeen

Just bumping in this thread i haven't seen for a while to answer you... feel great about it :

I'm not against realistic world gen, i don't think it's even neccesary to say that if we are in this forum is because we all want something like this. I'm against choosing the place in that realistically generated world where you would like to spawn, or the biomes there will be in the realistically generated world -which, if it was really realistically generated, probably wouldn't have just 3-4 biomes in it...-.

Wait... i'm confused as to how it is torodial if it wraps x and y, wouldn't it be spherical? As going to one pole of a sphere leads to the opposite pole, and the same for the edges of latitude.

Wait... i'm confused as to how it is torodial if it wraps x and y, wouldn't it be spherical? As going to one pole of a sphere leads to the opposite pole, and the same for the edges of latitude.

Very true, so we don't have to be scared of getting eaten ;) or bugged by silly shapes.

Either wrap is possible however on a sphere all the edges will meet at a point if you go to this point or near it will freak out because it will try to see a million places at once. Think about the top of a rectangle in order for that to become sphere that whole edge has to be compressed into a single point, same with the bottom. Torodial on the other hand is different first the north edge is wraped to meet the south edge so now there is a cylinder then the west and east edges are wrapped together thus making a torus/donut now there are random edges or compressed points.