Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sloot

Sluices and distance?

4 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone

I have a question about the sluices. Me and a friend have been playing TFC for quite some time now, but we have always had a bit of a problem finding the tier 3/4 ores to start make iron. My plan is now to experiment a bit more with sluices and make them underground if possible to drag water down from a lake above.

http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Sluice

To quote the wiki.

The sluice aids in prospecting by scanning an area roughly 100m around itself and 60m deep

I take it that 1 block is equals 1 meter? Then i wonder, "100m around itself", that would be a radius of 100 blocks from the center of the sluice ?

thx.

Sorry, just realized that i probably posted the thread under the wrong forum.

From the build 47 change log with my own added emphasis:

The sluice has been rebuilt and is now a powerful tool in aiding the player as a form of prospecting. It also still functions similarly to before, however it now can yield small pieces of ore that yield 1/4 of the metal that a mined piece of ore would give. The sluice aids in prospecting by scanning an area roughly 100m around itself and 60m deep. It will only provide ore that it can find in that area as well as any assortment of gems just as before. Feeding sand to a sluice box will have a higher chance to find gems and gravel increases the chances that you’ll find ore. Soil can be provided by emptying the contents a gold pan into the sluice by right clicking with the gold pan in your hand on the sluice(adds 7 soil, max 50). Alternatively you may throw individual blocks of gravel or sand into the water feed that flows into the sluice. Upon reaching the sluice, if able, it will be auto consumed providing 20 soil.

Going by that, I think it's safe to assume that you're looking at a 100x100x60 area centered around the sluice, though that "roughly" bit makes this less than certain.

I don't want to tell you how to play your game, but if you are at the point that you need iron, you should consider doing some real mining with the prospector pick and the mine shafts and all that jazz. I tend to do the real mining as soon as I can make a prospector pick and pickaxe, with the sluices on standby if I don't find any decent ore veins before they kick the bucket. There's a decent amount of guides around if you wish to learn more about how to do that. Just check the wiki and the guides subsection of the forums.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, we are normally using the prospecting pickaxes to find the metals and in my oppinion its working quite well to find ores that are more shallow. Problem is, since the prospecting pickaxe isnt really covering that large area, the general idea was to try to setup some sluices underground to more or less use for the larger scanning area.

I started to wonder a little bit what the ore generation looks like so i used MCEdit to analyze a newly generated world to take a closer look on what the distribution looks like, and i realized that it would be hard to find the veins just by using a prospecting pickaxe. Using a sluice underground would atleast give an indication to if there is anything within 100 blocks.

From the build 47 change log with my own added emphasis: Going by that, I think it's safe to assume that you're looking at a 100x100x60 area centered around the sluice, though that "roughly" bit makes this less than certain. I don't want to tell you how to play your game, but if you are at the point that you need iron, you should consider doing some real mining with the prospector pick and the mine shafts and all that jazz. I tend to do the real mining as soon as I can make a prospector pick and pickaxe, with the sluices on standby if I don't find any decent ore veins before they kick the bucket. There's a decent amount of guides around if you wish to learn more about how to do that. Just check the wiki and the guides subsection of the forums.

I was doing tests for the sluices but I was interrupted before goin into the vertical scanning range of them. So when I get back to it, I will report what happened. Or Bioxx can just clarify it...