Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
DarkLadyPhoenix

Discussion: What is your first tool? :)

30 posts in this topic

It used to be that chisel was first and foremost and the only way to start the game.

Now that the game has changed, what tool do YOU make from that precious first piece of metal and why?

A pick so you can start getting more than pieces?

A chisel so you can smelt faster and create a more durable home?

A sword so you can defend yourself?

A hammer so you can make that copper anvil as soon as possible?

Chisel. I like to get out of the age of firepit as quickly as possible. Waiting through each cycle of the firepit to smelt a single ingot is mind-numbing for me.

I go for the pick, to try and get more ore.

The Pickaxe. Being able to collet stones and to modify the landscape at will to plant the sluices is very important

I agree with most of the response here. The Pickaxe. when you comes across a Huge Mountain side of copper, you got to say to yourself, Jess wess- Sure could use a Pick about now.

I'm I the only one who made a propick? Can't mine the ores until you find them. And when you find em you can sluice em. Much more reliable!

Chisel. Once I have a bloomery, I spam sluices until I have enough materials to make several more tools. Then the digging commences.

I usually go for the chisel first to get that bloomery started.

I agree with the chisel camp. With how long it takes to make ingots in the firepit using small ores, it's worth it to me. Next tool is the pickaxe though. Third is pro-pick.

Yep. Chisel first to make the bloomery. Smelting ore from the firepit sucks.

Chisel, to help smelt all the ore I scrape off the surface.

Seriously, I hardly ever use sluices. There always seems to be plenty of ore among the small rocks.

Also, why does the bloomery treat small ores and regular ores like they were the same size? I should be able to pack a lot more nuggets than ores in a bloomery.

Depends: If i have a surface deposit of ore i see, 100% pick. If i have no surface deposit, what do i want to do with the pick alone? Dig usless around in the stone to loose the pick and start off again or be able to melt my next ores a lot faster? Though if i had 2 ingots, it would be a hard decision, pick and propick or chisel and pick.

Well, one could argue you can make a metallurgy table with the pick alone, or place your first smithing equipment favorably, or test your luck...

I delay the chisel, even though I want bloomeries ASAP. A pickaxe will give me a bit more freedom to build, but a propick can motivate! You don't have a pickaxe yet, but you already know where to dig!

I agree, it depends on whether you've got ready surface ore, but I usually go with a chisel first. The bloomery also helps with making torches and food more easily.

I must be overlooking something. You can make food and torches in the bloomery? Or do you mean you have more time in your firepit because you can smelt ores in parallel? But you can make a forge without any tools if I'm not mistaken right now...

I must be overlooking something. You can make food and torches in the bloomery? Or do you mean you have more time in your firepit because you can smelt ores in parallel? But you can make a forge without any tools if I'm not mistaken right now...

no it is impossible. I think mead just wasn't paying much attention to what he was typing :P

First tool for me is always a saw. Need to get planks and everything to start building my houses efficiently as well as start my storage base.

It depends on what i need. I have choosen a rather mobs-ful area to live in? i go for the sword; i have found some surface ore? the pick will do; I have plenty of small ores and no chest space to hold them all? The chisel. I ususally have the hammer as my thrid tool, anyways :

It depends on what i need. I have choosen a rather mobs-ful area to live in? i go for the sword; i have found some surface ore? the pick will do; I have plenty of small ores and no chest space to hold them all? The chisel. I ususally have the hammer as my thrid tool, anyways :

would you really just waste all those "small (input starter metal)" to make 2 ingots which you will be using for a sword (that could become both a pickaxe and a propick to help you find other metals)

i don't think anyone would actually spend hours using only javelins for protection and trying to find small ores to make a sword... i mean you've been protecting yourself with javelins for a few hours... why not just put a damn door in front of your mine for protection and just get a lot more ore before making a sword xP

a sword is actually the last thing i'd make, i prefer the javelin anyways, i like ranged attacks xP

Chisel, to help smelt all the ore I scrape off the surface.

Seriously, I hardly ever use sluices. There always seems to be plenty of ore among the small rocks.

You must be playing a different game than me. I've wandered all over a square almost 1000 blocks wide, and I just finally found my first surface ore. It was just 3 nuggets. I gave up on that a while ago, and built sluices (up to 10 now) that I can keep busy.

About the only biome I haven't explored is a desert. Maybe surface ore is more prevalent there?

Heh, nope, I always get the forge and the bloomery mixed up, esp when I'm just waking up :P

Would still be a chisel, the bloomery makes for faster ore processing, whether small or regular

is it just me, or am i the only one who gets a hammer first just to get it over with?

is it just me, or am i the only one who gets a hammer first just to get it over with?

definitely only you. Metal hammers are only useful to make the next stage of anvil, or swords. (and if you can find one of the minerals that crafts directly to flux, you don't even need it)

I join the chisel camp(which seems to be winning right now...)followed by propick(I've seen visible ore ONCE since I started playing SP)and then the pickax.