Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Deez

Bioxx should add Bukkit support

22 posts in this topic

I don't think we should rely on someone else to do it. While I don't know anything about the languages of both minecraft and bukkit, I think Bioxx or someone else on the dev team should release a SMP version that is compatible.

I still don't know what Bukkit is, :P

Smae problem :P

Bukkit is an alternative SMP based API for minecraft mods...

I don't think we should rely on someone else to do it. While I don't know anything about the languages of both minecraft and bukkit, I think Bioxx or someone else on the dev team should release a SMP version that is compatible.

I dont honestly see the point since mojang hired the bukkit team to develop their built-in mod API as well as convert the dual server/client system to one codebase, and manage bug fixes and general code improvement.

Anyway the end result is the new mod API is likely to be somewhat similar in spirit to bukkit, but different since they have internal knowledge of the REAL codebase and not just its decompiled version, and are restricted by what mojang approves. They may still end up releasing a new version of bukkit to acccomplish whatever they're not allowed to release IN the vanilla, but things will be changing, so whats the point of trying to support bukkit as it is now?

Vanilla Minecraft is having Bukkit incorperated and there would be no point to putting out an SMP version for Bukkit support because:

1. There is no SSP or SMP anymore (once we are updated to 1.3.2)

2. Bukkit is likely to merge completely with Vanilla Minecraft as the new API comes out

3. Bukkit won't stop existing as a Plugin site; however as an API site it likely will

4. Plugins differ from Mods

5. TFC is a mod and likely will never be called a plugin because it changes core files and doesn't merely add content

6. In order to make TFC even slightly compatible with plugins you would have to use a library (which may or may not be coming out) to code TFC specific blocks and entities into catagories (that they might not fit into) just so that other plugins or mods can recognize what they are and how to treat them (very simular to how TFC already works with MCForge compatible mods)

In conclusion, there is no SSP or SMP anymore and we should wait on making things compatible until we know how the library Mojang is going to use works and what functions it gives coders to work with. It very well could be that MCForge will be a thing off the past and we will have a universal library to code under or it could be that Vanilla becomes Bukkit and MCForge is still needed for mods even though Vanilla supports plugins.

stuff

yeah seeing as bukkit is going to be incorperated into vanilla, in several years knowing the infinite wisdom of mojang,

but yeah theres really no use for adding bukkit support seperately, theres more important things to work on

Vanilla Minecraft is having Bukkit incorperated and there would be no point to putting out an SMP version for Bukkit support because:

1. There is no SSP or SMP anymore (once we are updated to 1.3.2)

2. Bukkit is likely to merge completely with Vanilla Minecraft as the new API comes out

3. Bukkit won't stop existing as a Plugin site; however as an API site it likely will

4. Plugins differ from Mods

5. TFC is a mod and likely will never be called a plugin because it changes core files and doesn't merely add content

6. In order to make TFC even slightly compatible with plugins you would have to use a library (which may or may not be coming out) to code TFC specific blocks and entities into catagories (that they might not fit into) just so that other plugins or mods can recognize what they are and how to treat them (very simular to how TFC already works with MCForge compatible mods)

In conclusion, there is no SSP or SMP anymore and we should wait on making things compatible until we know how the library Mojang is going to use works and what functions it gives coders to work with. It very well could be that MCForge will be a thing off the past and we will have a universal library to code under or it could be that Vanilla becomes Bukkit and MCForge is still needed for mods even though Vanilla supports plugins.

Yes, there issingle and multi player. All was added was LAN support, you still can't make a server out of single player is they are not on your LAN.

Also sad news with the latest snapshot. Some parts of mod API dealing with rendering have to be rebuilt from the ground up, so even more delay, huzzah!

Yes, there issingle and multi player. All was added was LAN support, you still can't make a server out of single player is they are not on your LAN.

Also sad news with the latest snapshot. Some parts of mod API dealing with rendering have to be rebuilt from the ground up, so even more delay, huzzah!

The change is more for the developers.. In 1.2.5 and previous versions the server and the client used entirely different sets of code for everything and you had to mirror everything to get SMP to work. They removed that. You now always just run the server code and the client code just displays the game. That is what is meant by them being the same thing now. Yes there is still single player and multi player, but code/development wise we no longer have to do things twice and keep things in sync to get them to work properly.

The change is more for the developers.. In 1.2.5 and previous versions the server and the client used entirely different sets of code for everything and you had to mirror everything to get SMP to work. They removed that. You now always just run the server code and the client code just displays the game. That is what is meant by them being the same thing now. Yes there is still single player and multi player, but code/development wise we no longer have to do things twice and keep things in sync to get them to work properly.

Apologies if this sounds naive, I know nothing about coding. Does that mean all mods are now smp compatible ? (or at least they will be)

Apologies if this sounds naive, I know nothing about coding. Does that mean all mods are now smp compatible ? (or at least they will be)

It's not automagic, but it's definitely much easier. Modders still have to do extra work, but I think they'll have a much harder time making excuses about why they're not SMP-compatible.

I'm the only other TFC dev .____. (officially)

As the other person states its not automagically done. But it is the reason why most of the mods out there are taking so long to update 1.3 if they were not already SMP compatible. What it does mean is that most of the mods, when upgraded, will become SMP compatible but it will also be easier to maintain this as you will not have to maintain the same code in two different locations. It does make it a bit harder now having to include the networking component of it all regardless of it being SP or MP though.

In either case, with the Bukkit team being hired to do the API for Minecraft in general it may be a moot point to also support a bukkit version of TFCraft as I would wager that most bukkit mods are going to become compatible with just regular old minecraft anyways :)

As the other person states its not automagically done. But it is the reason why most of the mods out there are taking so long to update 1.3 if they were not already SMP compatible. What it does mean is that most of the mods, when upgraded, will become SMP compatible but it will also be easier to maintain this as you will not have to maintain the same code in two different locations. It does make it a bit harder now having to include the networking component of it all regardless of it being SP or MP though.

In either case, with the Bukkit team being hired to do the API for Minecraft in general it may be a moot point to also support a bukkit version of TFCraft as I would wager that most bukkit mods are going to become compatible with just regular old minecraft anyways :)

This... would make TFC servers about 10 billion times easier to manage, my god....

This... would make TFC servers about 10 billion times easier to manage, my god....

I'm painfully excited :D

The significant problem with bukkit as it stands is that a plugin has to be specifically written to handle specific mods, on bukkit plugins work for vanilla stuff because its all written as such. This is more of an issue with forge mods with the damage values of sub items, such as all ores are 213:1 213:2 213:3 and so on with tfc. Things such as world guard for protection, though probably not needed in the future, would have to have special changes to protect tfc blocks. This is likly to be the same issue when the mod api is finished, depending on how the api and its libraries are handled. Speculation is great but in the end its a see how it turns out situation at this point.

The other thing to note is that the mojang mod api will be almost totally different than bukkit as it stands currently, and probably very different than anything else that currently exists. Basically everything will have to be written from the ground up plugin wise, and mods will have to be rewritten to use the hooks provided by the mod api.

Certainly uncertain but exciting times ahead.

I question all of this lack of distinction between the server and client code. I've set up vanilla servers on 1.3.2 and then modded them, and the mods which I've tested out on 1.3.2 are still seperated into two categories (Server and Client). Its assinine to claim that in 1.2.5 the 'client' and 'server' versions used entirely different code bases. Any developer who doesnt understand and actually implement the reuse concept isnt writing much other than hello world programs. Most of this code was undoubtably reused, and the actual implementation of the underlying classes would be different. Regardless, because of the NEED for stand alone servers, Mohjang is still providing them, even for 1.3.2 because, simply put, people dont want to, and shouldnt have to run what is techinically a client version, because you have to be logged in in order to host a server, and that susequently means that the stand alone server implemention is STILL different from the client version, even is only slightly.

I question all of this lack of distinction between the server and client code. I've set up vanilla servers on 1.3.2 and then modded them, and the mods which I've tested out on 1.3.2 are still seperated into two categories (Server and Client). Its assinine to claim that in 1.2.5 the 'client' and 'server' versions used entirely different code bases. Any developer who doesnt understand and actually implement the reuse concept isnt writing much other than hello world programs. Most of this code was undoubtably reused, and the actual implementation of the underlying classes would be different. Regardless, because of the NEED for stand alone servers, Mohjang is still providing them, even for 1.3.2 because, simply put, people dont want to, and shouldnt have to run what is techinically a client version, because you have to be logged in in order to host a server, and that susequently means that the stand alone server implemention is STILL different from the client version, even is only slightly.

oi. Stop putting down the developers.

Smae problem :P

-looks at signature-hah i'm totally the same way

/cast Ressurect

I would also like the ability to run a bukkit server with TFC.  If not possible is there any other way to incoperate anti-griefing etc into a TFC server?

The problem between Bukkit and TFC exists on the Bukkit side. There is nothing that TFC can do to fix this issue. We have informed Bukkit, but they have not responded with any attempt of a fix.

I suppose you might be able to work some magic with forgebukkit.

Or was it bukkitforge?