Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Theruinsage

Buildcraft

17 posts in this topic

Id like to see this mod be compatible with buildcraft. The automated diggers would be an excellent way to prospect an area before digging, and would only be available at the iron age anyways. If automated worktables could be tweaked to also make stuff like clay molds and then burn them in an automated fireplace (which would need to be either a separate recipe or a unique building like the forge and bloomery). This could take some of the more annoying work out of the equation when you are at the point where you can make the more advanced alloys anyways. Could be it's just me, but i could see something like this working quite well.

And maybe quarries could be tweaked to work more like actual quarries, as in strip mining, not just dig a huge hole in the ground.

Firstly, the mod is compatible... it's just that you won't be able to make some of the recipes.

On the other hand, it looks like you never actually understood the goal of TFC. It's not a "realism" mod; it is about making survival mode harder, and yet enjoyable, as it should have been in vanilla. Buildcraft is, instead, a tecnologic mod used for making easier some tasks that are already pretty easy in vanilla, like mining. I personally think that adding in Buildcraft to TFC beats up the objective to make the game harder : it's like playing Amnesia and using a mod that let's you insta-kill all the monsters by touching them. What's the point?

i only use buildcraft with TFcraft when constructing large underground mines.

i wouldn't agree with the automated systems themselves being part of TFcraft though as they don't fit

as stated above TFcraft is meant to make the game harder.

that being said, soon the trains and zepplins mod will have a steam shovel so a guess open pit mining will be incoming ..

I'd love to see compatibility, but not with vanilla BC.

A better than buildcraft type integration mod that made the buildcraft objects much more advanced and expensive would be awesome.

No. No. No. No. No.

If you want to use these two mods together, then you are missing the point of TFC completely, and should go automate your way back to tekkit

better than buildcraft

...Idk if I want it used with TFC or not, but this should be a thing. This should DEFINITELY be a thing.

...Idk if I want it used with TFC or not, but this should be a thing. This should DEFINITELY be a thing.

It used to be a thing with Better Than Wolves (hence the name of the addon).

If you want to use these two mods together, then you are missing the point of TFC completely

You know, I hear talk about 'The point of TFC' getting thrown around a lot, and it always kind of bothered me because that's not why I'm playing.

I like TFCraft not just because it's more realistic or believable, but because the new gameplay mechanics are more interesting and challenging than vanilla MC.

I guess that's why I'm more comfortable with the idea of enchanting, or vanilla mobs, or industry, as long as we have Dunk and Bioxx to make it fit in with the style of TFCraft.

It used to be a thing with Better Than Wolves (hence the name of the addon).

You know, I hear talk about 'The point of TFC' getting thrown around a lot, and it always kind of bothered me because that's not why I'm playing.

I like TFCraft not just because it's more realistic or believable, but because the new gameplay mechanics are more interesting and challenging than vanilla MC.

I guess that's why I'm more comfortable with the idea of enchanting, or vanilla mobs, or industry, as long as we have Dunk and Bioxx to make it fit in with the style of TFCraft.

I definitely see your point, but that's exactly what I mean - the feel of TFC pretty much IS the point of TFC, and I just don't see it being possible to add anything even remotely resembling buildcraft that doesn't break the TFC feel over its knee and toss it into a river

I made a thread about red power I while back and before everyone hates on me this is my humble opinion. So,

It strikes me that buildcraft is about very specifically automating the processes of mining building and resource management. Since these things have new meanings in tfc I don't think buildcraft is the right choice. I prefer red power in general because it suits my style better, but specifically for tfc red power seems like it would integrate better. Most of the tech in red power is fairly low level (a block breaker as opposedo a fully fledged quarry a la buildcraft) so it more easily adapts to tfc.

But yes, I think there is something to be had here.

Also steam punk. Just steam punk.

How you want to play your game is of no concern of mine. If you want to use buildcraft with TFCraft, two mods that really are on opposite ends of the spectrum, so be it. That said, what is it that you're asking for exactly? It sounds to me like a mod that allows 2 mods to work together like the IC2-BC2 crossover mod or Better Than Buildcraft mod that allows better than wolves and buildcraft compatability. My point is what you're asking for doesn't seem like something the devs should be worried about. Like everyone has been more than clear about, tfcraft at its core is all about you doing the work. Buildcraft is all about the machines doing the work. To expect either development team to cater to the other when their gameplay designs don't align seems far from likely.

If you want TFC and BC compatability, I think that's on you. Don't assume you're the only one that wants this (though do assume it's not common). For this idea, I recommend you consider making a "Buildcraft-TFCraft Crossover mod" yourself and release it for those who want it to enjoy (always get permission before distribution!). Native support in TFCraft seems unlikely to me.

Already working on RP-TFC compatibility. BC shouldn't be that hard.

How you want to play your game is of no concern of mine. If you want to use buildcraft with TFCraft, two mods that really are on opposite ends of the spectrum, so be it. That said, what is it that you're asking for exactly? It sounds to me like a mod that allows 2 mods to work together like the IC2-BC2 crossover mod or Better Than Buildcraft mod that allows better than wolves and buildcraft compatability. My point is what you're asking for doesn't seem like something the devs should be worried about. Like everyone has been more than clear about, tfcraft at its core is all about you doing the work. Buildcraft is all about the machines doing the work. To expect either development team to cater to the other when their gameplay designs don't align seems far from likely.

If you want TFC and BC compatability, I think that's on you. Don't assume you're the only one that wants this (though do assume it's not common). For this idea, I recommend you consider making a "Buildcraft-TFCraft Crossover mod" yourself and release it for those who want it to enjoy (always get permission before distribution!). Native support in TFCraft seems unlikely to me.

What i want is the satisfaction of building a fully operating factory in terrafirmacraft, which would require endless effort, as i often run out of motivation for standard builds, and mining just to get a better pickaxe seems pointless. I see alot of posts here saying that i don't get that the point of terrafirmacraft is to make it harder, or a more believable survival situation

I get that, i really do.

But most of buildcraft is centered around iron, gold and diamonds, which are all endgame'ish in terrafirmacraft. And i somehow want to combine my experience from terrafirmacraft with my experiences from buildcraft, and as the only thing holding the two apart are iron/ gold ingots and diamons plus lapuz lazuli. The only reason why i want automated fireplaces and stuff, is that it take forever to make torches (i appreciate looking for ore for hours on end, but clicking 64 times with a 2 sec interval to make two stacks of torches bugs me).

Also, glass is pretty important in buildcraft, and takes a lot of time and effort to make in terrafirmacraft.

Already working on RP-TFC compatibility. BC shouldn't be that hard.

It's mostly that they don's use the same id's for iron, gold, diamons and lapus lazuli.

But most of buildcraft is centered around iron, gold and diamonds, which are all endgame'ish in terrafirmacraft. And i somehow want to combine my experience from terrafirmacraft with my experiences from buildcraft, and as the only thing holding the two apart are iron/ gold ingots and diamons plus lapuz lazuli. The only reason why i want automated fireplaces and stuff, is that it take forever to make torches (i appreciate looking for ore for hours on end, but clicking 64 times with a 2 sec interval to make two stacks of torches bugs me).

This is sort of off-topic, but have you tried using a forge to make torches and glass? Glass still takes forever, but you can knock out torches pretty fast in it. A forge that can accept buildcraft pipes seems more useful than a firepit, but I can't imagine how it'd work with the multiple input slots.

I'm not saying buildcraft + tfcraft is sin. As someone who played IC2/BC2/RP2 (minus world gen and machines) constantly until I found TFCraft, I get how much fun it is to make those systems and how much work having machines do the work is. My point was that I can't see the devs working on it themselves. Buildcraft has a mod API, which I know nothing about, but that should make it possible (or at least easier) to do what is necessary to make them work together.

In my opinion, you could make a buildcraft lookalike mod that fits into TFC under one condition: You drop the "it stops at medieval" thought. Then, it'd need the same grade of complexity up to contemporary technology to create pneumatic tubing and the like. If you continue this thought experiment, getting to a simple mechanism will take hundreds of hours. By then, you won't need automation anymore. So we could only lose the much praised belivability.

I could, however, imagine a completely different approach to achieving what Buildcraft achieves by using NPCs. If we had NPCs that needed food, a place to live, knowledge and money, they could do all the things you can do with Buildcraft. Want a quarry? Get a team of NPCs and program them to mine! Want an item transport? Get an NPC and a mule and tell them what to do!

NPCs would have to be very dumb, though. Unless you show them, with painful precision, what routes they are to walk, they'd fail. They'd have to be too dumb to prospect, make tools, and the like. This could even give books a new purpose: The more bookshelves are present in a building, the more intelligence is spread among the population. A very intelligent NPC could even build a straight wall, spend the day knapping, do as an autocrafting table would or even keep track of all citizens, knowing their values and telling you about them.

You guys know... this post kind of started as a half-jokingly attempt of thought experiment cynicism, but... I actually like the NPC idea. Players shouldn't be able to create NPCs if they needed 14 ingame years to become useful, though. You could find nomads and tribes, or they could find you. Yes, it's very, very, very Millenaire, but, as long as you have the option to disable them during world generation...

How about a very intelligent class of NPC, like a storage master/accountant/bookkeeper, who, if supplied with a bookshelf every 3 double chests, can pull from a large inventory, for a fee? Suppose you had hundreds of chests and this guy, surrounded by his own library full of books that only say what's stored where and how these books are indexed. Right-click him, he'll say "What can I get you?". You can then type "134 Cobblestone", he deducts the money and immediately, you get the cobblestone and it is deleted from a chest. This would make huge inventories easily manageable.

I'm sure there are lots of possible NPC classes that mimic the function of Buildcraft and Redpower machines. Still, it should be quite endgame. Weaker tribes may sell you their slaves for food if they arent self-sufficient, but if you were to conquer a multi-village clan, you would need good equipment to pull it off.

Sorry, guys. I like it.

~snip~

But they would have to work independently of the player. If I have to be constantly telling them to repeat a task then it doesn't help me any. There should at least be a way to set them on repeat mode.

lol. you guys are trying to cheat. NOPENOPENOPE