Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joey

The Craft.

142 posts in this topic

For a long time now, me and my friends have called minecraft the simple, cool name of "The Craft." However, minecraft hardly stands up to this name, as crafting is unrealistic and quite limited. So far in terrafirmacraft, bioxx and friends have implemented one big element that I consider the one true Craft, and that is smithing. However, I have not come here today to talk about how fantastic smithing is. For this game to truly live up to the name of "The Craft" all sorts of crafts must be expanded upon and improved. And I'm not talking about the sissy arts & crafts class your mommy signed you up for at summer camp. I am talking about the manliest of the manly crafts (no gender isolation intended), Carpentry and tanning.

Part I: Carpentry

I've noticed a big issue with tools, and that's the woodworking around it. Even your finest red steel tools require nothing more than a twig you pulled out of a tree. Pretty silly if you ask me. Just as new metals are required to make better tools in later tiers, so should new handles. The first form of handle is the tree branch, which you easily fashion from some wood you snapped off a tree branch (leaves). This is the worst of tool handle, and contributes to a low durability and tool efficiency. You'll only be using these crap handles for stone tools. The sticks we love and know that somehow magically fall out of trees perfectly smooth and round will have to be renamed to "crude stick" or "tree branch" and need a rougher looking texture. (If you are good with art and you're interested, please do make a concept picture!)

Tier One Woodwork

If you ever want to get past the days of stone tools, you will need to catch up on your woodshop skills. To do some basic woodwork, you'll need your first woodworking table. (Kinda like a stone anvil.) This is made by plopping down a 2 x 1 "desk" made of wooden planks. You then must use your stone knife and axe to convert it into a proper workspace, in the same way one uses a stone hammer to turn a piece of raw stone into an anvil. In the interface for a basic woodwork table, to the right there is a slot for inserting a knife, and to the left a slot for inserting a an axe. On the axe side of the interface is a vertical meter, that sorta looks like a stick. On the stick is a bioxx (synonamous to a notch, or indent on a surface) which indicates how far one must chop with his axe to get a proper length stick. To chop the stick, you use action buttons similar to hit, punch, draw, etc in an anvil. The woodworking actions are much simpler, however, like, long chop and short chop as the two core actions. On the other side of the interface, the knife side, is where you smooth and debark the stick, to make it a proper handle. Just like the axe side, you use action buttons (shave, chip, slice to name a few) to meet the required amount of cutting on the stick-meter. Just like in the anvil, using action keys moves one arrow in order to line up with another one. Once both requirements are met, out pops a lovely wooden handle.

(TO BE CONTINUED. I can edit this later, right?)

I certainly hope you continue this.

I do hope that some element of grid-based crafting remains, though, that feels like a staple of minecraft to me.

Construction is planned. Also, it should be "Bioxx and friend". I'm the only other official developer.

From your name and the wording of your suggestion, I take it that you are in the neighborhood of 14?

Regardless, construction is already a thing like Dunk said, and it was already confirmed in another thread that furs and wool items will be implemented, as well as a way to turn them into clothing. Considering the additional implementation of butchery, which I believe is confirmed, tanning should definitely be at least on the planning table (ha pun)

Construction is planned. Also, it should be "Bioxx and friend". I'm the only other official developer.

Wish I knew how to code in Java. I'd totally help.

I indeed am Eternal. Thanks for the additional info cap'n.

I indeed am Eternal. Thanks for the additional info cap'n.

Holy crap I hit that spot on

I think I need to take a vacation from the internet...

Holy crap I hit that spot on

I think I need to take a vacation from the internet...

As do I man. Please do not open your comments/follow up with a slant against the person you are going to respond to.. There is no need for that.

As do I man. Please do not open your comments/follow up with a slant against the person you are going to respond to.. There is no need for that.

Wasn't a slant, it was an honest guess. Hell, I even guessed right

I don't really mind, I get that condescending attitude from a lot of people. Especially people like Eternal.

I don't really mind, I get that condescending attitude from a lot of people. Especially people like Eternal.

Look. 14 year olds aren't the most mature humans on the planet. I think you're being rather unfair here.

I hate when people make assumptions about your age just because of the way you type a post.

I once got tagged as a 9-year old for getting pissed at a troll. Granted, it was youtube, where the stupid levels are off the charts, but it still stung.

(Just to point this out, making an example out of Eternal probably isn't going to help his attitude towards you.)

Look. 14 year olds aren't the most mature humans on the planet. I think you're being rather unfair here.

Yeah, 14 year olds are pretty bad, but still it is sort of annoying to be repetitively labeled as "stupid" or more immature than I am just because of common stereotypes. Anyways, what do you think of woodworking?

I hate when people make assumptions about your age just because of the way you type a post.

I once got tagged as a 9-year old for getting pissed at a troll. Granted, it was youtube, where the stupid levels are off the charts, but it still stung.

(Just to point this out, making an example out of Eternal probably isn't going to help his attitude towards you.)

Nah, the people on Youtube just got butthurt and wanted to make you feel bad, they didn't actually think you were nine. You can't deny that maturity comes with knowledge and life experience, things that 14 year olds are usually lacking in. (No offense to OP, just something in general)

Yeah, 14 year olds are pretty bad, but still it is sort of annoying to be repetitively labeled as "stupid" or more immature than I am just because of common stereotypes. Anyways, what do you think of woodworking?

We are well underway in implementing this. :)

Right! On topic:

I love the idea, but whenever I see a thread about a new crafting system, it's always a reskinned version of smithing and the anvil.

You put a tool in a slot, you put some material in another slot, and then you hit different buttons to line up some arrows.

We are well underway in implementing this. :)

yaaaaaay! By Build 50 AT LEAST I expect giant cool carpentry desks, and the ability to carve wood like you can carve stone. I guess I will close this topic if this stuff is nothing new.

Right! On topic:

I love the idea, but whenever I see a thread about a new crafting system, it's always a reskinned version of smithing and the anvil.

You put a tool in a slot, you put some material in another slot, and then you hit different buttons to line up some arrows.

I suggested it to work like an anvil oriented differently is because I really like the way it works and it would help players get used to woodworking. But if there are more creative ways, I would really like to hear em

Nah, the people on Youtube just got butthurt and wanted to make you feel bad, they didn't actually think you were nine. You can't deny that maturity comes with knowledge and life experience, things that 14 year olds are usually lacking in. (No offense to OP, just something in general)

No, here's the sad thing: Under immense exposure to internet stupidity and trolling, people (mostly children)... can change.

They develop trollish characteristics, become immersed in their world of 'troll fighting', and will become just as agressive and utterly stupid as some trolls would make themselves out to be.

Some trolls... actually believe in what they say!

Oh, the humanity!

Well, that's a lovely idea. Add durability loss to both the knife and the axe when doing this, and we have a deal :3 (although it would be very little durability loss, but still...)

EDIT:

No, here's the sad thing: Under immense exposure to internet stupidity and trolling, people (mostly children)... can change.

They develop trollish characteristics, become immersed in their world of 'troll fighting', and will become just as agressive and utterly stupid as some trolls would make themselves out to be.

Some trolls... actually believe in what they say!

Oh, the humanity!

That's why the psychologits of nowdays receibe thousands of dolars each day. The world is crazy, bro :

*Flees in a winged unicorn, eating golden bananas(?)*

Wish I knew how to code in Java. I'd totally help.

Ooh ooh I can do that!

But back on topic,

I think most of this stuff is either confirmed or already suggested. Good to have it at the top of the thread list though.

Right! On topic:

That is a good point and brings up another issue: The goal is to make the player's skill important which from my understanding means that there need to be small "minigames" like smithing with the anvil for a lot of these things. But what options are available? How could minigames like these work to make each fairly unique as to require its own "skill" from the player?

I think having a discussion about this and collecting ideas could help the devs a great way. Probably better to have in a separate thread, though.

sigh... I have so many ideas for smithing... but they are too resource intensive (and frankly beyond the skills of either Bioxx or I) so what I am about to describe will likely NEVER be implemented...

Imagine a 3D real time rendering of the chunk of metal as you bang and shape it into your tool. This allows for totally dynamic tool making, as each manufactured tool could be quite different. It would also open so many opportunities for armour smithing... but oh well...

Once again,

THIS WILL NEVER BE IMPLEMENTED.

Dunkleo, could you make a 2D version of that? That effects the 2d sprite somehow? A 2d rendering of a meldable metal chunk?

sigh... I have so many ideas for smithing... but they are too resource intensive (and frankly beyond the skills of either Bioxx or I) so what I am about to describe will likely NEVER be implemented...

Imagine a 3D real time rendering of the chunk of metal as you bang and shape it into your tool. This allows for totally dynamic tool making, as each manufactured tool could be quite different. It would also open so many opportunities for armour smithing... but oh well...

Once again,

THIS WILL NEVER BE IMPLEMENTED.

umm, do you not see that giant thingy right up there?

umm, do you not see that giant thingy right up there?

He said THREE DIMENSIONAL. Not a simple 2-d picture on a GUI.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0