Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Scooterdanny

Direct use of all metals for tools etc

106 posts in this topic

basically, my idea is, if we can use rose gold for armor, and weapons, why cannot we use say brass, or sterling silver? i would like to be able to use any metal i choose for these tasks, as i have loads of metals like zinc that have little use outside of making chisels, because brass is currently useless, (i believe this was roughly discussed in a different thread a while ago, so don't yell at me XD) Also, having silver armor would look Kick-ass. Or flaunt your excess with pure nickel tools, this also makes sense historically, as people would make tools, weapons, and armor out of materials that were very unfit, solely for shock value, and ostentatiousness of it.

basically, my idea is, if we can use rose gold for armor, and weapons, why cannot we use say brass, or sterling silver? i would like to be able to use any metal i choose for these tasks, as i have loads of metals like zinc that have little use outside of making chisels, because brass is currently useless, (i believe this was roughly discussed in a different thread a while ago, so don't yell at me XD) Also, having silver armor would look Kick-ass. Or flaunt your excess with pure nickel tools, this also makes sense historically, as people would make tools, weapons, and armor out of materials that were very unfit, solely for shock value, and ostentatiousness of it.

hmm i like it, that way there would be many different tech trees

instead of going tin-bronze-iron you would have different metals in your area so you would start with

zinc-brass-rose gold

that way people wouldnt have to go searching for ages to find tin so they can start with metallurgey

Please, tell me all about your lead armor

If you can still talk

Well now

density gold = 19.3 g / cm³

density lead = 11.3 g / cm³

density copper = 8.96 g / cm³

Therefore rose gold should be about 16.715 g / cm³

If you are going to pull that argument remember how effing heavy gold is. And that it is usable as armor XD

Well now

density gold = 19.3 g / cm³

density lead = 11.3 g / cm³

density copper = 8.96 g / cm³

Therefore rose gold should be about 16.715 g / cm³

If you are going to pull that argument remember how effing heavy gold is. And that it is usable as armor XD

erhm i think there would be well...adverse side effects to having solid lead armor

Well first off, lead was not the focal point of my suggestion, things like brass which are viable alloys were, and secondly, well unless you are putting it right against cuts, aside from the ungodly weight, it should be fine.

Well first off, lead was not the focal point of my suggestion, things like brass which are viable alloys were, and secondly, well unless you are putting it right against cuts, aside from the ungodly weight, it should be fine.

Posted Image

Heavy metal absorption through skin is a thing, brah. Don't believe me? Go play with some liquid mercury for a bit

yeah i know we were just messin with ya

and speaking of ungodly weight, gold/rose gold armor anyone?

ps. is it sad that i've probably written more words here than on the project im supposed to be finishing tonight?

edit: eternal, yo picture is borked

yeah i know we were just messin with ya

and speaking of ungodly weight, gold/rose gold armor anyone?

ps. is it sad that i've probably written more words here than on the project im supposed to be finishing tonight?

edit: eternal, yo picture is borked

I see it just fine

I think these forums are borked

I see it just fine

I think these forums are borked

eh same reason i can't seem to be able to post any pictures, it just ends up showing the raw url

I understand heavy metal absorption, let me rephrase what i said "unless you are putting it right against YOUR SKIN, you should be fine". Most people didn't just plop plate mail on their bare skin lol, and yeah i know you guys are just playin XD

PS i see chuck testa just fine

I understand heavy metal absorption, let me rephrase what i said "unless you are putting it right against YOUR SKIN, you should be fine". Most people didn't just plop plate mail on their bare skin lol, and yeah i know you guys are just playin XD

PS i see chuck testa just fine

but still some metals are just not suitable for tool and armor making

lets see you mine anything with a solid lead pickaxe

or how about cutting down a tree with a golden axe?

this actually sounds like a cool idea. Id like to have some nice silver armor for smp servers to flaunt mostly. But yeah, just because it isn't very suitable for armor or weapons, doesn't mean a metal can't be used for armor and weapons. Plus, lead armor may be a terrible idea, but hey, so was using lead for water pipes and children's toys. You didn't see that stop Rome, did you?

(side note, in both ancient Rome and tfc's approximate time period the detrimental effects of lead were and would be unknown)

Maybe these tools, weapons and armor would be purely decorative and have no use/offer no protection?

this actually sounds like a cool idea. Id like to have some nice silver armor for smp servers to flaunt mostly. But yeah, just because it isn't very suitable for armor or weapons, doesn't mean a metal can't be used for armor and weapons. Plus, lead armor may be a terrible idea, but hey, so was using lead for water pipes and children's toys. You didn't see that stop Rome, did you?

(side note, in both ancient Rome and tfc's approximate time period the detrimental effects of lead were and would be unknown)

true, we arent trying for complete realism, we can put aside some of the minor flaws that makes metals unusable, but something blatantly obvious as lead being toxic and stupidly heavy, just can't be ignored

ps. ugh school starts tomarrow, i gotta go, see you all later ^_^

if you look at the fact that this mod originally has some basis in Dwarf Fortress (admittedly, a ridiculous and unrealistic game, but so awesome), you could make the argument that DF has lead weapons at least, im not sure about tools and armor, but yeah, just a pretty much irrelevant point from a vaguely connected game. But i think it holds a little weight, maybe we could have a lead mace? since its so heavy it would do a lot of damage, if you could swing it, just a thought.

if you look at the fact that this mod originally has some basis in Dwarf Fortress (admittedly, a ridiculous and unrealistic game, but so awesome), you could make the argument that DF has lead weapons at least, im not sure about tools and armor, but yeah, just a pretty much irrelevant point from a vaguely connected game. But i think it holds a little weight, maybe we could have a lead mace? since its so heavy it would do a lot of damage, if you could swing it, just a thought.

... +10 for lead mace. And +1 for the OP, too... but, aren't some of those useless metals useless in TFC 'cause they are too hard to make tools out of in real life? As the gold is so malleable and ductile, it would be hard to forge it in anything, as it could easily bend too much. Same goes for silver...

Though, i'm sure either Eternal, Scooter or Jed are going to answer this post correcting both the post itself and it's content ._. but yeah, i could be right... maybe...

... +10 for lead mace. And +1 for the OP, too... but, aren't some of those useless metals useless in TFC 'cause they are too hard to make tools out of in real life? As the gold is so malleable and ductile, it would be hard to forge it in anything, as it could easily bend too much. Same goes for silver...

Though, i'm sure either Eternal, Scooter or Jed are going to answer this post correcting both the post itself and it's content ._. but yeah, i could be right... maybe...

Actually quite the opposite, gold is by far one of the easiest metals to shape into what you want, and therefore would be very easy to make into armor. The problem would be that the actual armor would be about worthless. Steel sword meets gold armor = hot knife meets butter. It basically wouldn't have any structural stregnth.

However, gold embelishmens on "parade armor" would be quite believable. Basically just highly polished armor that is there to look good.

As far as armor of lead, that would just be silly, and probably even less resistant than gold by like half. Becides the fact that it is toxic, on the other hand they didn't really know lead was highly toxic until several decades ago so technically steve wouldn't know its toxic and effecting his health either.

Seeing brass and other alloys that are possible with current materials would be neat though, but I would want to see more use than armor and weapons.

In the end, there are plenty of materials for equipment. There's not much need for more middle range tools. If you find a large deposit of starter metal your set, as far as having tools and armor goes, finding other metals is just bonus currently.

Just because a metal is less effective as a tool, doesn't mean you can't make a tool out of it (Of course, if the metal is flimsy enough, you might have a hard time making the tool)

Unless there's some kind of technical consideration I don't know about, I'd like to see this implemented.

Actually quite the opposite, gold is by far one of the easiest metals to shape into what you want, and therefore would be very easy to make into armor.

Even with the methods we are using in TFC? I thought it was so soft that it would be hard not to hit it hard enought to over bend it and break it...

And these gold tools and armors can be as weak as you want, but as said many times in this thread, most of the time you will be making this just for showing the world you have enought of those rare metals to waste as much as you want in useless things of that material. Kind of the same reason why someone suggested coin piles a while ago...

Even with the methods we are using in TFC? I thought it was so soft that it would be hard not to hit it hard enought to over bend it and break it...

And these gold tools and armors can be as weak as you want, but as said many times in this thread, most of the time you will be making this just for showing the world you have enought of those rare metals to waste as much as you want in useless things of that material. Kind of the same reason why someone suggested coin piles a while ago...

Gold isn't so soft that smacking it with a hammer would obliterate it, but making something with it requires skill and finesse. If you were makeing a bp and just wailing away with a hammer you probably wouldn't make much. However with properly honned skills you could make a suit of armor with it. Would take a brute of a man to wear it though.

Gold isn't so soft that smacking it with a hammer would obliterate it

do you even know how soft pure gold is? you hit a gold axe against a tree? tree wins your axe is just going to practically melt against the shape of the tree

yeah you wouldnt be able to make tools out of gold, thats why most jewelry is cast or molded out of gold

do you even know how soft pure gold is? you hit a gold axe against a tree? tree wins your axe is just going to practically melt against the shape of the tree

yeah you wouldnt be able to make tools out of gold, thats why most jewelry is cast or molded out of gold

The last game that a golden axe worked in was animal crossing.

SUPER HYPER REALISM GAIZ

Yes I know how soft pure gold is, I also know that jewelery isn't made of pure gold. Except in very rare cases. Most generic gold jewelery is cast because its faster and easier to make your standard gold band. Higher end jewelery and socketed jewelery to some extent is all formed free hand by a gold smith however, hence the phrase "proper finesse."

Pure gold flakes off fairly easily, and would probably do so quite readily when being hit, but as I mentioned above. Most gold stuff isn't made with pure gold, also most gold mined out of the ground hasn't come up pure 100% gold.

The point I was makeing though is that with enough skill you could make a terribly heavy quite worthless, from a protection standpoint, suit of armor out of gold; even useing a hammer anvil forging method. That however isn't in support of the argument that you should be able to make equipment out of it, just that it would be possible.

I rather like this, to some extent.

I agree that things like gold or lead would be worse than useless for tools and armor. Imagine hitting a tree with a golden axe. Axe will be broken, and it is quite feasible that a part of it would just fly lose, making it more dangerous than helpful. =P

I haven't gotten very far myself, but if brass isn't usable for tools and armor, that is something I'm definitely in favor of, tools at least. Not sure how widely it has been used, but I have a hard time imagining that nobody ever thought to use it for some kind of tool, regardless of how efficient it may have been.

I think this could be beneficial as a possible addition to the Kingdoms update, leaders of factions/countries/towns could wear decorative gold/silver/platinum armors to distinguish themselves out of battle, or in battle i guess as well. But i still think this idea is very cool from an aesthetics standpoint.