Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Foohy

Easy way to get lots of wood

25 posts in this topic

1. Find a Sequoia Tree forest, you can easily tell which trees are Sequoia ones due to their huge size.

Posted Image

2. Destroy one block from the base of the tree and it will all fall down. Destroying one big Sequoia tree will give you a few stacks of logs which are very useful compared the the usual one-stack or less from the other trees.

This is how many stacks I got from a single Sequoia Tree:

Posted Image

No more grinding those small trees to get a full 3x2 charcoal pit or to get enough logs for your first house.

It may not be as good as other types of wood for a firepit but it can keep a fire up and cook your food nicely.

I suggest you keep the other types of wood in case you may need a better type of wood for whatever you will do and use Sequoia for your house building, charcoal farming and maintaining a firepit.

Only bad part of this (or cutting down the jungle trees) is that they do not drop saplings to replant. Once you are out, you are out. At least with Willow trees, you get a lot of wood, they drop saplings and they grow fast.

Willow is the best for trash lumber: charcoal, sticks (and thus stick constructions), early buildings, and more. It's a great base tree for your tech. Combined with ash trees, I've never really needed much else, functionally.

Hickory and Maple are both better "burning" woods, as they burn hotter and longer than Ash, though they do have a longer grow time as well. Aspen is identical to Ash, so is another viable wood.

Sequoia is a garbage wood as far as burning goes. Low temp and medium duration. Kapok is worse: medium-low temp and short duration. Both are best used as materials for construction (due to high counts and low usefulness).

I still haven't done any comparative tests to see if wood traits influence charcoal making (I've only ever thrown "garbage" wood into my charcoal pits; Birch, Spruce, Pine, Fir, Cedar....)

Though I plan to find out sometime soon if a charcoal pit made out of Hickory generates more charcoal than one out of Sequoia or not. Or if it takes a different amount of time.

Last I understood, the wood types do affect charcoal production. I don't know if it has been changed since then, but I would estimate it still holds true.

I did a test in creative. Hickory vs. Sequoia.

The speed difference was small enough that I can attribute it to the time difference in starting the fires.

The amount of charcoal difference was also reall small. 8 units more from Hickory (64+ 64 + 4 vs 64 + 60).

Only bad part of this (or cutting down the jungle trees) is that they do not drop saplings to replant. Once you are out, you are out. At least with Willow trees, you get a lot of wood, they drop saplings and they grow fast.

That's the exact reason to burn 'em up early.

Last I understood, the wood types do affect charcoal production. I don't know if it has been changed since then, but I would estimate it still holds true.

Sorrily, no, they do not. The quantities are the only thing that will affect the final charcoal, not the tree the wood comes from.

However, it can be expected to be added eventually. I mean, in real life different woods make different amounts of charcoal -and different qualities of charcoal as well-, don't they?

I mean, in real life different woods make different amounts of charcoal -and different qualities of charcoal as well-, don't they?

I really don't know. We need someone versed in the charcoal arts to enlighten us on this one, methinks.

Charcoal is certainly different between different wood types, however, usually the effects are negligible. In fact, contrary to what you might think, charcoal creating from pine is more sought over than charcoal created from a hardwood, as the pine burns much faster and hotter, which makes a difference when you are trying to heat up metal to forge. The downside of this pine/hemlock charcoal is the fact that it produces a lot of sparks, which really isn't an issue in minecraft. I recently ran out of charcoal I had made for blacksmithing, but still wanted to continue without making more charcoal (IRL mind you) So I went and picked up a bag of bituminous coal. Let me say, I am now an avid supporter of coal. Minecraft's 1:1 value of charcoal to coal is completely unrealistic, as I burn just a handful of coal when I do a burn, instead of a whole box full of charcoal for a burn. As well, coal burns immensely hotter, I even managed to melt my knife right off (so long 3 days worth of work :'( _) Anyhow, the point of this is that even though hardwood may seem a better wood for charcoal, and it is for uses such as bbq'ing, softwood tends to be better for metal working purposes.

BTW: If ever doing IRL metal working, USE COAL. You will save soooo much time and energy.

BTW: If ever doing IRL metal working, USE COAL. You will save soooo much time and energy.

Why the hell would you be metal working IRL anyway?

The reason, my friend, is for blacksmithing. You can create knives, swords, cast decorative pieces, custom create tools for around the yard, and just for the awesome feeling of heating a piece of steel to glowing yellow and hammering it out, completely bending to your will.

Charcoal is certainly different between different wood types, however, usually the effects are negligible. In fact, contrary to what you might think, charcoal creating from pine is more sought over than charcoal created from a hardwood, as the pine burns much faster and hotter, which makes a difference when you are trying to heat up metal to forge. The downside of this pine/hemlock charcoal is the fact that it produces a lot of sparks, which really isn't an issue in minecraft. I recently ran out of charcoal I had made for blacksmithing, but still wanted to continue without making more charcoal (IRL mind you) So I went and picked up a bag of bituminous coal. Let me say, I am now an avid supporter of coal. Minecraft's 1:1 value of charcoal to coal is completely unrealistic, as I burn just a handful of coal when I do a burn, instead of a whole box full of charcoal for a burn. As well, coal burns immensely hotter, I even managed to melt my knife right off (so long 3 days worth of work :'( _) Anyhow, the point of this is that even though hardwood may seem a better wood for charcoal, and it is for uses such as bbq'ing, softwood tends to be better for metal working purposes.BTW: If ever doing IRL metal working, USE COAL. You will save soooo much time and energy.

bossness.

I tried making a knife once, burned the carbon out of the end and had to cut it off.  the knife sucked, but the process was awesome.

Excuuuuuuuse me?! Cuz it's fun?

I attended a sort of training session at work some months ago. The teacher was in his 70s, and collects Phds like they're merit badges. He's in semi-retirement, and told us about a knife making class he's been attending. He says it's one of the more satisfying things he's ever done.

Best way to get wood is to plant Douglas fir trees 2 blocks apart in a grid. Of course first you need to get a bunch of saplings. Anyway, after trimming the leaves for saplings, you cut down one that one tree and all the others around it also get chopped down, and you get loads of wood. 

Example of what I stated above:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now that is some major wood!  ;)

giggity

I remember that once, I had a tree farm so large, that by the time I had finished chopping the last row, the first row had already regrown. I never ran out of wood. Douglas Firs, in my opinion, are stronger than willow for wood collection overall because not only do they also provide lots of saplings, they are completely straight, so they never leave little floating bits that you have to tower up and grab, like you get with willow. I would say the only real thing that willow has over douglas fir is that they are lower, so you don't need to get a higher altitude to get the leaves. However, this is a double edged sword because...it looks nicer than a mass of leaves at the ground, in my opinion.

Their planks also look quite nice. You can also pull off the trick that terex is talking about, but I was never really able to get that to work 100% of the time because the trees wouldn't grow if you only had 2 blocks in between the saplings. One of the trees would grow first and block the line of sight to the sky for another couple saplings next to it. I have also noticed that you can never really get away with less that 4 blocks in between willow trees.

Anyway, what are your guys' favourite tree farms, for both efficiency and design? I personally prefer little terrace type farms with steps. I have them around the place with 2 or 3 tree types (and 4 or 5 trees of each type) to get wood for building. Then, I'll have my charcoal wood farm, usually douglas or willow, and then what i like to call my "garden" which is a grid of whatever type of tree that I need to grow for building at that time. 

Phew, this tree post got a bit longer that I expected, but I'm interested to hear my fellow TFC fans' opinions.

Well... up to the latest snapshot of TFC all Douglas Fir trees will grow from saplings spaced only 2 blocks apart and all trees break at once, so.... yeap this is an 'exploit' I will always use in my single player world. Stuff takes enough time to accomplish, I could do with a few shortcuts. That farm btw provides enough wood for a stepped charcoal pit 7x7 in size.

I have a little design for fruit trees, but not for regular trees. I just plant saplings some 6 blocks apart over a large area for each species.

I would like to know what is the best way to set up a tree farm now and which type of tree to use.

I figured having pine trees, they can be planted in a staggered grid pattern with 5 spaces in between. When they all grow, the leaves are touching and one chop will take down the whole field. But of course to get more saplings, the leaves need to be harvested so the 1 chop method no longer works. 

I would like to know what is the best way to set up a tree farm now and which type of tree to use.

I figured having pine trees, they can be planted in a staggered grid pattern with 5 spaces in between. When they all grow, the leaves are touching and one chop will take down the whole field. But of course to get more saplings, the leaves need to be harvested so the 1 chop method no longer works. 

Generally speaking, most players completely ignore the outdated/abandoned subforums, so it might be a better idea to go create a post in the TFC1 discussion forum to ask players how they do their farms.