Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Devlin

Dragons, ideas. community collaberation page

209 posts in this topic

Actually, you have. One half of a bird's weight is in its feathers.

http://www.npr.org/2...feathers-matter

...okay A, how does that mean I'm hallucinating or invalidate my point in the slightest, and B, dragons have membranous wings like a bat anyway, which would make sense since dragons are (shockingly) predominantly mamallian?

As you guys argue facts, I'm going to argue statistics. What are the chances that the entire world has dragon legends? What are the chances that the entire world just made them up for !@#$% and giggles? Why, until recently (last couple hundred years) did people not use dinosaur (which logically has an advantage in the naming community for it's simplicity?) What are the chances, that since we obviously had eye witnesses, they died before we came on the scene? What species has dominated this planet? What are the chances that we killed dragons off? Why do we have so many stories about them? How come some reptiles (to this day) are classified as dragons by the scientific community? What are the chances that over the centuries we have simply stretched aspects of reality into a state that we have a problem proving every small detail? Are dragons real? Are the legends accurate? Is this thread just a place for narrow-mind people to argue back and forth without consideration for the other party? Am I an idiot?

These are questions you need to consider before saying either yes or no.

P.S. Except the last one, which I'll proudly answer, "Yes I am!"

As you guys argue facts, I'm going to argue statistics. What are the chances that the entire world has dragon legends? What are the chances that the entire world just made them up for !@#$% and giggles? Why, until recently (last couple hundred years) did people not use dinosaur (which logically has an advantage in the naming community for it's simplicity?) What are the chances, that since we obviously had eye witnesses, they died before we came on the scene? What species has dominated this planet? What are the chances that we killed dragons off? Why do we have so many stories about them? How come some reptiles (to this day) are classified as dragons by the scientific community? What are the chances that over the centuries we have simply stretched aspects of reality into a state that we have a problem proving every small detail? Are dragons real? Are the legends accurate? Is this thread just a place for narrow-mind people to argue back and forth without consideration for the other party? Am I an idiot?

Dinosaur bones.

You're also giving the word "dragon" more variation than any other animal species ever created. Including something like "griffon" (which does not have a world wide spread across culture).

If you want to insist that every culture has "dragons" then you have to recognize the quetzacoatl as a dragon, which it really isn't. You also have to lump together orriental dragons and occidental dragons under the same definition, and the two look nothing alike, have different personalities, and are *gasp* treated differently by people (western dragons are for slaying, eastern dragons are for praying).

And that's before we even get to the native American tribes....

Oh, and if we want to pull the "everyone believes that there are dragons, therefore dragons are ok in a game about believability," then I propose gods, religion, magic, homeopathy, psychic powers, and sacred cows.

Everyone knows that at least two of those work in real life.

Dinosaur bones.

You're also giving the word "dragon" more variation than any other animal species ever created. Including something like "griffon" (which does not have a world wide spread across culture).

If you want to insist that every culture has "dragons" then you have to recognize the quetzacoatl as a dragon, which it really isn't. You also have to lump together orriental dragons and occidental dragons under the same definition, and the two look nothing alike, have different personalities, and are *gasp* treated differently by people (western dragons are for slaying, eastern dragons are for praying).

And that's before we even get to the native American tribes....

Oh, and if we want to pull the "everyone believes that there are dragons, therefore dragons are ok in a game about believability," then I propose gods, religion, magic, homeopathy, psychic powers, and sacred cows.

Everyone knows that at least two of those work in real life.

Hey now, calm down. I simply asked some questions. The only thing I "stated" in my post was that these questions need answers and that I'm an idiot. You seem to be the only one aggressive here dude. Settle down or switch threads, please.

Hey now, calm down. I simply asked some questions. The only thing I "stated" in my post was that these questions need answers and that I'm an idiot. You seem to be the only one aggressive here dude. Settle down or switch threads, please.

I'm not getting upset at you, personally.

You asked a question, I answered it, and then provided additional information.

The last two lines were unrelated to your post and directed at the forumites in general. Believability is subjective.

Oh, and the definition of the word?

be·liev·a·ble

(of a fictional character or situation) Convincing or realistic.

So get that whole "this isn't supposed to be realistic, it's supposed to be believable" attitude out of your head. The two are the same thing. From the FAQ, "This means that sometimes realism is compromised for the sake of gameplay whiel still trying to present a world that feels real." The point is to be close to reality without sacrificing fun. Also, there's a typo there, Dunk, or whoever manages that page; you've got a dyslexic "while". The goal is to be as real as can be achieved without becoming overly detailed and still maintain the overall feeling of minecraft. I.e. The mod won't attempt to model volumes smaller than 1 cubic meter (which is why chiseled blocks can't be picked up, or allowing more complex chiseling) nor will the mod attempt to model finite water (because it would needlessly bog down the engine, when the current method functions just fine) nor will it introduce magic (as per something like Equivalent Exchange, or the magic-wands suggestion a few days ago) because it's too far from "reality," despite self-proclaimed practitioners of magic throughout recorded history.

So with a definition like that, it boggles my mind that "dragons" are real enough for the mod.

I'm not getting upset at you, personally.

You asked a question, I answered it, and then provided additional information.

The last two lines were unrelated to your post and directed at the forumites in general. Believability is subjective.

Thanks for clearing that up. Forumns never give a good indication of tone or intent (/sigh).

Fantasy or not, dragons have played a major role in the cultures and lives of peoples all over the world, and regardless of their biological integrity or how legitimate they feel, they've had a huge impact on the development of society and civilization, merely because people believed they were real. In TFC, they just might be.

Glad to see that we might be seeing them. Thanks Dunk :)

Thanks for clearing that up. Forumns never give a good indication of tone or intent (/sigh).

No, they don't.

(Also I edited my post while you were posting, expanding on the whole "believable" term)

To answer you're question Draco as to why dragons are realistic enough for this mod:

Because they are the most epic things ever.

Period.

To answer you're question Draco as to why dragons are realistic enough for this mod:

Because they are the most epic things ever.

Period.

Posted Image

Dude, a dragon bleeding is a god bleeding.

And a dragon can send a thousand troops to the gates of hades.

I don't overuse epic dude, when I say it's epic, it's fucking epic.

Posted Image

And the petty nit-picker strikes again!

Deep in the heart of a cold mountain in the far north, where crops can no longer grow and only wolves and bears prowl the night, lies a sleeping monster. It is powerful beyond belief and guards untold treasures and secrets.

Hope this wets your appetites ;)

If I could press that like button more, I would, until next week.

-----------

Also, why is everyone saying dragons would have four legs? I think 2 legged dragons, a la skyrim, would be much cooler.

Dude, a dragon bleeding is a god bleeding.

And a dragon can send a thousand troops to the gates of hades.

I don't overuse epic dude, when I say it's epic, it's fucking epic.

Dragons are more like big, scaly vultures than gods, just saying.

Also, Draco, why don't you just stop being such a fucking cynic and get over the fact that TFC isn't going to be the hyper-realistic survival simulator you want it to.

It's OKAY to be a little disconnected from reality. Note how the dictionary definition of believable isn't JUST realistic, it can also mean CONVINCING. That or means either denotation is suitable. Dragons CAN be convincing, and so can magic. People CAN be convinced that these things COULD exist, under the right conditions, that is. Seriously though, calm your fucking tits for one second and see how these things could be fun.

Dragons are more like big, scaly vultures than gods, just saying.

Also, Draco, why don't you just stop being such a fucking cynic and get over the fact that TFC isn't going to be the hyper-realistic survival simulator you want it to.

Well, in fact, chinese dragons were more gods than dragons... just saying.

I want it to be hyperrealistic?

Where'd I say that?

I will go back in time and punch myself.

No.

What I said was, "this does not seem to fit the theme of the mod as I understand it and I am confused."

I will go back in time and punch myself.

don't worry, i'll do that for you

Why can't we be friends? Well, cause of that damn r word.....

Proper dragons are equal to Demi gods. Your thinking of drakes.

Proper dragons are equal to Demi gods. Your thinking of drakes.

"Proper dragon"? Please, tell me how this is different.

I'd make the comparison between "legitimate rape" and "rape" but that might be a bit sensitive.

Let me help you out a bit here. I plugged "dragon" into google.

Demi god?

Demi god?

Demi god?

Demi god?

Demi god?

Dragon is a highly fluid term, and means many things to many people.

But "demi-god"? Maybe a few, but all dragons?

Even these two? (Hint: one of them isn't even a dragon, by his own standards, and the second one may be hard to find so I'll help you out a little, that's a dandelion she's standing next to).

"Proper dragon"? Please, tell me how this is different.

I'd make the comparison between "legitimate rape" and "rape" but that might be a bit sensitive.

Let me help you out a bit here. I plugged "dragon" into google.

Demi god?

Demi god?

Demi god?

Demi god?

Demi god?

Dragon is a highly fluid term, and means many things to many people.

But "demi-god"? Maybe a few, but all dragons?

Even these two? (Hint: one of them isn't even a dragon, by his own standards, and the second one may be hard to find so I'll help you out a little, that's a dandelion she's standing next to).

guys calm down and just wait untill eternal gets over here and steps on you with his massive foot full of dragon knowledge

Foot full? i think eternal has an entire 50 volume encyclopedia dedicated to dragons.

Foot full? i think eternal has an entire 50 volume encyclopedia dedicated to dragons.

monty python refferences were not understood that day

Also, the chinease dragons were full on gods.

As the humans could, after some tests, became dragons, nope, they weren't full gods. Or at least, not all of them.

guys calm down and just wait untill eternal gets over here and steps on you with his massive foot full of dragon knowledge

I do know some things about dragons as well, you know :

Not a demigod... more like a dragon who couldn't take the poetry... the poetry broke him....