Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Devlin

Dragons, ideas. community collaberation page

209 posts in this topic

since everyone decided to go nuts about dragons and Monty python of all people (god knows why) i have decided to post this page in an attempt to draw off people debates about dragons into one post. so yeah i love dragons, and would love to see some awesome things done with them, such as rare ore trading and such but seeing as how most people want to stick them in the nether and kill them. i will just let you guys have fun making stuff up and hopefully some decent ideas will come from this.

here are the few things i would like to see come up with dragons. first is over world dragons, obviously rare, very rare, probably only in mountain ranges. maybe a few small clusters from time to time. dragons being smart like villagers and being able to move into player built places if the buildings are big enough. trade with gems and rare gold. different colors and types. some muscular, some agile, some aquatic and others more earthy, these are mostly an aesthetic thing but might affect speed and strength if it is easy enough to code. neutral, will attack if attacked. can breed but very rarely. will employ workers or sorts in their homes, mostly they will just run around doing nothing, presumably keeping the place "clean" and polishing the dragons scales and armor. if you do enough trading with the dragons, you can hire NPCs to keep your house safe from mobs, feed your animals and tend your crops. no miners seeing as how that is your job, but you might run into dwarfs underground. yeah this kinda a fantasy post but seeing as how this mod is based off DF and this is a dragon post, and most importantly how this is a freaking GAME, deal with it. so yeah i have more ideas but i will post them when i remember them.

Attempt to upload this post #7

Yay another person who still thinks this is a game and fantasy stuff SHOULD be included, but in moderation.

And now on topic, I like the idea, but really there should be neutral and aggressive Dragons. Mostly neutral above ground (out of caves and nether/nether replacement) and then the aggressive one that will attack on "sight" (as they mite not see you in the dark) that live in the more hostile environments of the under-ground and under-world.

i also had another idea, in the nether there should be dragons as well, and they should be pretty aggressive, but still will only attack if you get to close. and nether dragons on the hunt would attack on site. i had the idea for a nether dragon community, not like a real system, just make it so nether dragons rarely fight each other and almost never to the death, and utilize the full height of the nether to make huge dragon community locations. sorry im just waking up.

so yeah the nether should use the full height available to build awesome and dangerous terrain and allow for more dangerous enemies to spawn. my idea for a dragon community would be that in the middle of lava lakes, or close to the shore of lava seas would be a huge cluster if pillars/stalagmites/stalactites just large enough for a cave big enough for a dragon to move around comfortably in, and each community has many dragons and dragon caves. these would be extremely hostile territory and if you got within range any dragon that sees you would attack you on sight. but if you get into their caves/ treasure troves it would be well worth the danger.

so the idea is that the dragons in the nether have to gather together to protect themselves and have learned to work together. also i had the idea, that if you were to use gems or gold, dragons not near a community would be nice, and if you gave them some treasure such as gems or gold then they would be willing to let you ride them from one location to another, this is just an idea and im pretty sure people won't like it but it would be a one time thing and you don't get to drive them, just give them coordinates and they drop you off when they get there

Seeing as TFC is aiming for BELIEVABILITY and not REALISM, dragons sound pretty cool. But they should be hostile and have huge hoards of treasure, LIKE how they were in European mythology(because this is undeniably the best mythology depicting dragons, obviously). Fantasy elements should be as barebones and generic as possible. We don't want TFC to develop it's own mythology and that is basically what you are doing by suggesting we have a superintelligent race of anthropomorphic lizards you can socialize with.

edit: made my point less ambiguous so people wouldn't call me out as being retarded

But they should be hostile and have huge hoards of treasure, because that is how they were in European mythology.

... That's the dumbiest argument i ever heard. It's like me answering "No, they should be serpent like, have feathers and do to you what you do to them, because that is how they were in Sudamerican mithology". And we would be both wrong, 'cause not all europeans saw the dragons as the same things, as well as not all sudamericans saw the dragons as the same thing.

Why we wouldn't want TFC to develop it's own mythology? Barebones and generic fantasy elements are just plain boring; rather than having stereotypic fantasy elements, i would prefer the game to stay as it is. And in the other hand, the dragon are already considered superintelligent in the general mithology, humans are already able to socialize with them in general mithology, and they are lizard like in general mithology. He is not suggesting anything new; considering every single mithology in the world, there is NOTHING a dragon can't do or be. He's just suggesting some dragons with non commonly seen characteristics, when talking about videogames.

*A "dragon's legion" flag waves behind his back*

... That's the dumbiest argument i ever heard. It's like me answering "No, they should be serpent like, have feathers and do to you what you do to them, because that is how they were in Sudamerican mithology". And we would be both wrong, 'cause not all europeans saw the dragons as the same things, as well as not all sudamericans saw the dragons as the same thing.

Why we wouldn't want TFC to develop it's own mythology? Barebones and generic fantasy elements are just plain boring; rather than having stereotypic fantasy elements, i would prefer the game to stay as it is. And in the other hand, the dragon are already considered superintelligent in the general mithology, humans are already able to socialize with them in general mithology, and they are lizard like in general mithology. He is not suggesting anything new; considering every single mithology in the world, there is NOTHING a dragon can't do or be. He's just suggesting some dragons with non commonly seen characteristics, when talking about videogames.

*A "dragon's legion" flag waves behind his back*

All of my +1s

well, on the topic of dragons, im pretty sure that there were going to be dragons in the nether, seeing as its being changed alot

those dragons would be hostiloe and evil and it would be a you kill them or they kill you situation

that is where you would get dragon scales/hearts/whatevers for whatever you would neeed them for

if dragons are added to the overworld, they wouldn't be outwardly agressive, but you would still need to be carefull around them because you dont want to piss them off, because they would just destroy you

I don't want dragons in the nether. We'll see though. I might like to fulfill that old promise notch made eons ago for red dragons in the overworld. Might be fun.

I don't want dragons in the nether. We'll see though. I might like to fulfill that old promise notch made eons ago for red dragons in the overworld. Might be fun.

Care to give us a itsybitsy little teeny weinie hint about what you do think should be in the nether then? And red dragons would be a dream come true. As long as they're not NPC's and are neutral but easy to piss off and maybe possible to fly around on? My geuss is flying on a mob would be a bitch to code though :(

I can't be the only one that wants a dragon scale reinforced set of armor.

I can't be the only one that wants a dragon scale reinforced set of armor.

Yes you are the only one. Why would you ever want to hurt such a magnificent beast?

Care to give us a itsybitsy little teeny weinie hint about what you do think should be in the nether then? And red dragons would be a dream come true. As long as they're not NPC's and are neutral but easy to piss off and maybe possible to fly around on? My geuss is flying on a mob would be a bitch to code though :(

Dunk did. Sorry you missed out on that. It is now an Easter egg in the forums. Find it, and come back when you have.

Dunk did. Sorry you missed out on that. It is now an Easter egg in the forums. Find it, and come back when you have.

I really hope your trolling. Can't You tell me?

Why we wouldn't want TFC to develop it's own mythology?

Genetically enhanced from little flying lizards into gigantic, flying, telepathic beasts that can travel to the other end of the world in the blink of an eye and will kill themselves if their rider, you, dies.

Nope. Go find Hell.

Yes you are the only one. Why would you ever want to hurt such a magnificent beast?

like i said, the dragons you get said scales and other shit from would be the evil, going to rip you in half for absolutely no reason kind of dragons

*Sees post about dragons*

*Skims*

Wait, Dunk doesn't outright dismiss the suggestion?

*Re-evaluates Dunk*

++?????++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start.

I'm partial to dragons, but I dunno about having them in Minecraft. Especially in TFC, which is supposed to be more conforming to reality (within limits, of course, but not the fantasy of...well, fantasy).

TFC isn't about reality, though, it's about being believable. The reason why I suggested European dragons is because they are the most generic and well known type of dragon, which would make them seem less out of place in a more BELIEVABLE survival experience compared to more obscure mythos(why am I even bothering you are just going to argue with me anyways).

Also if there were dragons, like I said, they should be guarding huge hoards of treasure that are located in large mountain caverns(or deep underground, but it should be in specially generated caves either way).

In addition, after going back and re-reading some posts, I want to elaborate on why fantasy elements should be generic. Simply put, TFC is a survival experience, not a fantasy epic. We don't need mythology or unique mobs because that ruins the atmosphere which TFC creates for the player. It's the same reason I think creepers and endermen should be removed in the mod; the game's atmosphere is generally enhanced without them.

I know I am not the one developing this mod, but I feel that as a player I very well understand the direction it is under. As a result I try my best to influence others appropriately so that direction does not shift away, and the reasons behind my enjoyment for TFC ceasing to be.

Go to hell.

My geuss is flying on a mob would be a bitch to code though.

Yes and probably impossible.

Genetically enhanced from little flying lizards into gigantic, flying, telepathic beasts that can travel to the other end of the world in the blink of an eye and will kill themselves if their rider, you, dies.

Anne Mccaffrey, I lurve you.

Planet Earthlike Resources Negligible

Not impossible, just to much effort for to little. There are already a few mods with dragons you can ride, but of course those mods are solely dedicated to dragons etc and they have had a lot of time put into them.

BELIEVABLE [...] dragons

Just FYI, dragons are not believable.

1) Size. I forget the exact measurements above which it would impossible for the creature to fly, but I think it was 3 meters.

2) Skeletal structure. They have six limbs so unless it's an insect, it can't exist.

3) Breath weapons. Go on, rationalize that one. I'll wait.

4) Heading this off at the pass: Hydrogen Sack. In order to have enough lift to carry a critter the size of a small child, the hydrogen sack would need to be 30 feet in diameter.

umm then how'd they make the enderdragon or ghast or blaze fly?

Not impossible, just to much effort for to little. There are already a few mods with dragons you can ride, but of course those mods are solely dedicated to dragons etc and they have had a lot of time put into them.

You didn't even look at the link, did you? If you had, you would have realized that that post was sarcasm.

Just FYI, dragons are not believable.

1) Size. I forget the exact measurements above which it would impossible for the creature to fly, but I think it was 3 meters.

2) Skeletal structure. They have six limbs so unless it's an insect, it can't exist.

3) Breath weapons. Go on, rationalize that one. I'll wait.

4) Heading this off at the pass: Hydrogen Sack. In order to have enough lift to carry a critter the size of a small child, the hydrogen sack would need to be 30 feet in diameter.

As pointed out earlier, here on the forums there is a distinction (perhaps a bit unique) between "realism" and "believability". Walking skeletons aren't being removed as far as I know, and the game is heavily influenced by Dwarf Fortress, so use it as a basis for what is "believable" but still not realistic.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Creature

That said...

Quetzalcoatlus had a 12 meter wing span, probably the biggest thing that ever flew. But you're probably not talking wing span anyway.

For anyone with time to waste there is a show about dragons from Animal Planet. Here are some previews:

http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/other/videos/dragons-the-science-of-dragons.htm

Dragon flight would definitely improve everyone's ability to travel. Then again, the same thing could be said for horses. Now that I think about it, yeah just Horses. Then we'd all have reasons to make stables and I could breed them for speed and sell them for ore! =D