Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
4114Fishy

Cooking Food

8 posts in this topic

With the whole aim of believability in TFC, I think cooking should be at least a little bit harder. I think food should have to be manually removed at the right time, to prevent the food from being overcooked and turning burnt, as leaving food in a campfire and it automatically removing itself from the fire fully cooked isn't exactly believable. So I think you should have different heating levels for food, like Uncooked, Warming Up, Almost Cooked, Cooked, Overcooked, and Burnt. You could also adjust the filling capabilities based off the time away from the perfect cooking temperature, like overcooking for 1/2 a second could take away 10% of the hunger bar filling, or something along those lines.

I really like the idea of overcooking food, except for one detail. It's great because you can't just drop food in a fire and come back to find it perfectly cooked, with a layer of skill and difficulty required for cooking added as a result. The bad is that it would make food much more tedious to produce in mass quantities, and cause the player to spend large amounts of time cooking as a result.

Food should probably restore more hunger in general, anyways. After all, you can go a very long time without eating(but only a short time without drinking).

Instead of the wording you used for all food, instead appropriate food items, like beef for instance, could be labeled like; raw, rare, medium rare, medium, medium well, well, overcooked, and burned. I believe lamb is also graded like this. Chicken or pork you don't want to eat unless well cooked though, good way to barf your intestines all over for a few days, or even die.

On the other hand there are also deadly food born illness in beef that we just take for granted that it is for the most part eradicated in america. So it mostly depends on how detailed Dunk and or Bioxx want animals and butchery and food spoilage and cooking to be in general. On one hand getting to tedious can be a major turn off, on the other it would be interesting to see people on a server complaining cause they butchered a cow on the dirt next to a pile of poo and didn't properly clean and process the meats.

I saw mention that one possible direction for professions on a server was things that would require almost specializing in a field to be knowledgeable enougn with it to produce things of desireable quality. A cooking system such as this could add to a profession diversity such as that.

you know theres like 500,000 threads that suggest this....right?

lurk moar

Instead of the wording you used for all food, instead appropriate food items, like beef for instance, could be labeled like; raw, rare, medium rare, medium, medium well, well, overcooked, and burned. I believe lamb is also graded like this. Chicken or pork you don't want to eat unless well cooked though, good way to barf your intestines all over for a few days, or even die.

On the other hand there are also deadly food born illness in beef that we just take for granted that it is for the most part eradicated in america. So it mostly depends on how detailed Dunk and or Bioxx want animals and butchery and food spoilage and cooking to be in general. On one hand getting to tedious can be a major turn off, on the other it would be interesting to see people on a server complaining cause they butchered a cow on the dirt next to a pile of poo and didn't properly clean and process the meats.

I saw mention that one possible direction for professions on a server was things that would require almost specializing in a field to be knowledgeable enougn with it to produce things of desireable quality. A cooking system such as this could add to a profession diversity such as that.

Yes, this is the idea I was heading towards, I was just really tired at the time and my thoughts weren't processing properly, so I just threw out what was in my mind at the time. Of course there would be different kinds of... Cooking? levels for different types of foods, and each one would restore a different portion of your hunger bar. Another thing that would bring into play would be maybe a restaurant-type business, as people like their meats cooked differently (Medium-rare, rare, etc.), and could add to the whole idea of the kingdom Bioxx plans on adding. This could also add another job of a butcher, or even a meat cleaner, so when an animal is killed, for example, instead of a cow dropping 18 pieces of raw beef, it could drop a certain amount of beef (calculated by the age, size, and approximately how much meat would be good from the cow, which could also bring farmers into the system, as you could get better meat from feeding your cows properly, or get mediocre quality meat from killing wild animals or cows which are just fed crappy food. This would add much more to the game, and could make having bigger factions help a lot more, as everybody could have their own specialized job, and well put together factions would have access to higher quality food, which would allow the farmers to harvest better quality meats from their animals.

you know theres like 500,000 threads that suggest this....right?

lurk moar

Yes, I know that, but I figured maybe I'd have some more to add to the topic.

Since i made a thread on food, that linked to threads on food and cooking and stuff, You are now being a troll....

Yes, I know that, but I figured maybe I'd have some more to add to the topic.

then add them to a preexisting topic so you dont have to clutter up the forums with duplicate threads

Since i made a thread on food, that linked to threads on food and cooking and stuff, You are now being a troll....

Trolls intentionally try and stir up trouble and cause rage. Someone that creates a thread based on their poor forum ediquite isn't a troll. :P