Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
warfighter67

For the SSP players...

31 posts in this topic

When you log off of your world, TFC takes note of the system time. When you log back in, TFC reads the new system time and takes the difference, and passes in-game time accordingly.

Have you ever played one of the early DS pokemon games? Time passing was such an awesome thing. Until people started exploiting the system by making it think it was in the future to get a certain effect.

I don't know if you can do that on your computer, but if not this is all good. Longer starting times, especially if you've been off for a year, but if you can deal with that, this would be nice.

Also, what about hunger? It's a bit cheating to hibernate until your crops mature, IMO.

If this takes off, however, it should definitely be for both SSP and SMP, because not all servers are up always (mostly personal servers).

When you log off of your world, TFC takes note of the system time. When you log back in, TFC reads the new system time and takes the difference, and passes in-game time accordingly.

Also, what about hunger? It's a bit cheating to hibernate until your crops mature, IMO.

That's already how SMP gets played. You log off, wait for your crops to grow because that's all you can do. It's a bit janky.

That's already how SMP gets played. You log off, wait for your crops to grow because that's all you can do. It's a bit janky.

You could fish. Hunt. Pick fruit trees (if ripe). Beg neighbors. Think how the animals survive. I don't agree with player hibernation.

Hmm, it was just an idea. It is indeed exploitable because you can change system time. I figured it would put SSP more in-line with SMP, though. Most people should have the honesty not to change system time just for a game, since doing so also can cause issues with your registry files on certain programs that depend on the system time.

Hmm, it was just an idea. It is indeed exploitable because you can change system time. I figured it would put SSP more in-line with SMP, though. Most people should have the honesty not to change system time just for a game, since doing so also can cause issues with your registry files on certain programs that depend on the system time.

You know what, you're right. If people wanna have a good time, they wont cheat anyways; the people who just wanna waste their time can take the risks that come along with changing system time. I just have 2 younger brothers that cheat all of the time on minecraft, and play Tekkit/Technic all day long, so I get to watch them cheat, hack, and mass-produce diamonds to throw them into lava, when I would rather kick them off and play some challenging and fun TFCraft. I just know people will hack, and it makes me want to punch small mammals, but the players should choose their experience.

So +1, if we can figure out what to do about hunger.

People are overlooking the fact that this is already unintentionally implemented in SMP(yes I know some people mentioned it). I don't play SSP TFC, but I can imagine it would be much more difficult than SMP because you can't just log out and have your crops grow overnight. This has been suggested before, and I still support it.

Good thoughts there. Most people play TFC for a challenge, I would assume. Also, in its current state, hunger doesn't get used up while AFKing anyways, so logging off shouldn't, at the time, take away hunger. Perhaps in the future that could change, but be used at an extremely slow rate. Like, if you don't log on for a couple of weeks, you will come back hungry.

P.S. One of the many exploits of changing system time is to increase the time you have for trial versions of software. Never did this personally, but I had friends that locked their system time to a fixed time to use their fully-featured time-limited trial versions indefinitely.

It would be odd to make SSP play work more like SMP play.

At the moment, logging out and logging back in a day later is basically a crutch to make the agricultural side of the game playable, because it is otherwise not playable. I can see how it might work for some people, but it's a bit odd in a mod that's about trying to reconcile game balance with verisimilitude.

I've said this before, but the better option would be to add a config option that lets people (including server admins) change season lengths to something more playable.

For crying out loud, why does everyone think we need more SSP crop options?! Farming takes TIME. Plant your seeds and forget about them. Go check them out in the fall. Make tools, hunt food, mine, BUILD. It's a sandbox game guys, it's not like your crops growing is absolutely essential.

If you are using it as a food source, plan ahead. Get STACKS of seeds to plant. Then when your crops ripen, you have food for the next whole year.

For crying out loud, why does everyone think we need more SSP crop options?! Farming takes TIME. Plant your seeds and forget about them. Go check them out in the fall. Make tools, hunt food, mine, BUILD. It's a sandbox game guys, it's not like your crops growing is absolutely essential.

If you are using it as a food source, plan ahead. Get STACKS of seeds to plant. Then when your crops ripen, you have food for the next whole year.

Saying that 'that stuff over there works, suck it up' doesn't mitigate that part of the game is broken.

SMP players have to log out, wait a day or so, and log back in to check their crops. It takes 30 hours for a 90-day growing season to pass. Unless you're on vacation or unemployed, you might not even make it through a growing season before the mod updates enough you need to start a new world. The only other option is to play SMP and check the server daily, which isn't compatible with weekend players. The times just don't add up.

Maybe it's kinda interesting as an experiment to subject people too, but it's unplayable.

You are selectively reading only parts of my arguments.

GO DO SOMETHING ELSE WHILE YOUR CROPS GROW.

For instance, I started on my castle while they grew. You would be surprised how little time it takes to get to winter. And no, I don't play much either, I don't have much time.

Treyfix, you're completely missing the point of the problem. SSP and SMP should play relatively the same. Saying "go do something else" is an invalid argument towards my suggestion, because it assumes one only logs out because there is nothing left to do other than watch crops grow. The reason, however, that we log out is because we have lives outside of Minecraft/TFC that must be tended to. You know, jobs, school, kids (for the adults here)? I am in college full time and work part-time. I don't have the time to be on every single day to do stuff, so it would be nice that when I get home from a long day of school or work, I have crops that have grown.

Trust me, I WISH I could log onto Minecraft more than once or twice a week and enjoy some TFC, building and doing other things while my crops grow.

Trust me, I know how it is, I have little time to actually play TFC.

I'm just getting frusterated here. Either I'm not combating my point correctly or you're not listening.

So in order to understand you're train of thought better, why do you grow crops? And why do you need them fully grown?

Sorry I have to resort to stupid questions to prove my point.

Trust me, I know how it is, I have little time to actually play TFC.

I'm just getting frusterated here. Either I'm not combating my point correctly or you're not listening.

So in order to understand you're train of thought better, why do you grow crops? And why do you need them fully grown?

Sorry I have to resort to stupid questions to prove my point.

I, personally, don't. I always play on very small servers (~4-5 people, max), and when the pigs, chickens and cows are all gone, we pack up and move.

Only on larger servers would farming be relatively useful, as food must be provided for many, and the animals just wont cut it. Then it is worth it to wait, because you can't really just pack up and move 50 people far away for not enough food.

If plants ever gain medicinal or other properties, gardening will be useful for both small and large groups, but farming will never be good unless you make a large, semi-permanent settlement.

We understand, we are listening, It's just some of us don't want farming to take less time. It's farming. It should take time, space, and effort. Farmers never had it very good, but are obviously necessary for large societies, and at that point, and only that point, it should be worth it, even manageable.

So yes, time should pass when you're off. But think of the time it would take to load worlds that have been inactive for a while, and hunger problems. Once we can get around those, yes.

I actually don't play SSP, so this is just a suggestion to sympathize for SSP players.

The point you're basically making, Treyfix, is that because your play-style doesn't accommodate for the suggestion I have in place, you feel the need to bash it for a bad idea whilst pushing your play-style onto others. Maybe that is why nobody is listening.

So yes, time should pass when you're off. But think of the time it would take to load worlds that have been inactive for a while, and hunger problems. Once we can get around those, yes.

It shouldn't take awhile for worlds to load, because all it is doing is growing crops. Nothing else is assumed to happen while you are logged off (entities moving, etc). Instantly growing crops when you log in shouldn't cause much lag, if at all.

But I do think hunger should pass while you are logged off, too. As I said in a previous post, about two weeks being logged off should render your hunger bar empty, since that is about how long IRL it takes to really go hungry. Plus it accommodates those who go on vacations.

I actually don't play SSP, so this is just a suggestion to sympathize for SSP players.

The point you're basically making, Treyfix, is that because your play-style doesn't accommodate for the suggestion I have in place, you feel the need to bash it for a bad idea whilst pushing your play-style onto others. Maybe that is why nobody is listening.

When did I ever mention my playstyle? I said I cope with crops growing. I also said that crops take a summer to ripen IRL, which I should know being a farmer.

Instead of answering my question, you took a underhanded blow at me. I'm tryingto be friendly, the forums just don't have tone.

i like it when i can play a game and pick right back up on it... also, what about spawning? wouldn't more mobs spawn around where you logged out since it has to forward player data as well?

When did I ever mention my playstyle? I said I cope with crops growing. I also said that crops take a summer to ripen IRL, which I should know being a farmer.

Instead of answering my question, you took a underhanded blow at me. I'm tryingto be friendly, the forums just don't have tone.

"For crying out loud, why does everyone think we need more SSP crop options?!" - yeah being real friendly. Talking down to everyone and using caps to over-emphasize your points.

The problem my suggestion addresses is that in SMP, you can log off and return the next day to crops that have advanced. In SSP, your crops would not have advanced at all. That's where my suggestion comes into play.

I understand farming takes time, but the game is supposed to be fun and believable, not tedious and taking 'real' amounts of time. 'overnight IRL' in terms of gameplay is a LONG time. If crops in-game took a whole summer IRL, nobody would play the game. Just because you're a farmer IRL doesn't make you better than everyone else on this topic. Sure, you know more RL information about farming, and thus can be a good asset on helping develop farming in-game, but you must also understand that this is just that---a game.

i like it when i can play a game and pick right back up on it... also, what about spawning? wouldn't more mobs spawn around where you logged out since it has to forward player data as well?

This isn't the scope of this suggestion. The only thing that is passing is crop/tree growth. It's not simulating the whole MC world in the background after you log off.

Day 3, player logs off

player returns to game after 8 hours of sleep

World advances x amount of days instantaneously, also advancing crop and tree growth accordingly. Player hunger also gets increased.

If the time of day upon logging on 'shouldn't' be the same (ie you log off at 8 am, but when you log on, it advances 50 days and 3 hours), the amount of hours are truncated and only the amount of days advance.

"For crying out loud, why does everyone think we need more SSP crop options?!" - yeah being real friendly. Talking down to everyone and using caps to over-emphasize your points.

The problem my suggestion addresses is that in SMP, you can log off and return the next day to crops that have advanced. In SSP, your crops would not have advanced at all. That's where my suggestion comes into play.

I understand farming takes time, but the game is supposed to be fun and believable, not tedious and taking 'real' amounts of time. 'overnight IRL' in terms of gameplay is a LONG time. If crops in-game took a whole summer IRL, nobody would play the game. Just because you're a farmer IRL doesn't make you better than everyone else on this topic. Sure, you know more RL information about farming, and thus can be a good asset on helping develop farming in-game, but you must also understand that this is just that---a game.

That wasn't caps. Interpret it how you want, I'm being friendly.

You STILL habit answered my question.

You are selectively reading only parts of my arguments.

GO DO SOMETHING ELSE WHILE YOUR CROPS GROW.

For instance, I started on my castle while they grew. You would be surprised how little time it takes to get to winter. And no, I don't play much either, I don't have much time.

Is that all caps I see, or am I delusional? :P

Also, you made a point using your play-style (building). Not everyone is a huge builder. I personally play TFC for the survival aspect more than the creative.

Also, isn't a bit hypocritical how you disregard all but one part of my post?