Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
xdjherox88

Dirt and sand sliding off I hate it

60 posts in this topic

With that you mean that when I have this:

X

X

I need to do this:

X

X

X

Then place the 4 torches?

Torches first:

(periods used as spacers)

.XTXT.XTXT.X.X

-snip-

Then it's remove the torches, then go to 2 not 1 right?

Then it's remove the torches, then go to 2 not 1 right?

Yes. "Goto 1" was a mistake, but you should have been able to figure that out.

Yes, you guys are right. It should have said "go to step 2".

Stacked dirt != floating dirt

A ravine can generate and leave floating dirt, which causes a ravine one cannot see, and by walking over it, you can trigger the grass -> dirt -> floating -> falling effect, and end up in a ravine, regardless of how "safe" you've been.

Ah, yes. I see your point.

That was already a danger with underground lakes (which could form near the surface, making a gap with just one layer of dirt over it). I feel in one lake this way, but the fall didn't kill me. A ravine, however, could easily cause death!

I'll tell you one thing, making charcoal pits covered with dirt just got a whole lot more interesting :D

The new dirt mechanic...

Posted Image

I'm with JSparrow. At least for now, I am having too much fun with 50c to update and lose my dirt hut and log pile walls. Not to mention the nerfed chests and plank-making. I don't quite understand the reasoning behind this but hopefully the balance will be restored in the next patch.

I will deal with the overgrown grass for now. :D

You know peat isn't affected by gravity right?

Ahhh... *applies head to desk*

Ahhh... *applies head to desk*

Makes as much sense as snow blocks being impervious to heat.

Snow blocks are my block of choice for covering charcoal piles. They are impervious to heat (as mentioned already), they are affected by gravity (which was a good thing for monitoring charcoal pits in previous versions), and they can be removed and added again easily without using up any tools. I always seemed to have plenty of them around too.

I didn't like the new sand mechanic at first, but I respect it now. It makes you adapt even more to the environment around you. It makes you think before you start randomly digging and it forces you come up with creative ways to construct.

One thing about cave-ins and falling into a ravine or cave without having sand as a quick way out. Invest in ladders every time you explore new places. Ladders (7 ubiquitous sticks) save the day 100% of the time.

I'm alright with the change if approached in the right way.

If stuff falls over because 'dirt can't make pillars in real life' then this was made for the entirely wrong reasons and should be reverted immideately. We have already established that realism isn't a thing.

If the main purpose for this is to make it more difficult to pillar early-on, essentially turning pillars into a tiered advancement with some resource cost(Pick durability), then sure, go for it. It turns a core mechanic of the game into a more difficult to use tool, in line with all the other tools in the game. It's genuinely a mechanic that is sorta jarring with the directing the mod is going, but it can't be removed completely due to how the block-based world works and would make other potential mechanics, like undigable stone without the proper tool, unweildly. It's something that needs to stay but can be adjusted to not trivialize specific expected gameplay encounters.

Because that's something easy to do when you're being chased down by something nasty like a spider or creeper.

Or even when you don't see it because it's walled off with a one layer piece of grass. SURPRISE! 30 foot drop. Please kill yourself now because there's no other way out and even no way back to retrieve your stuff.

What if he added some sort of rock-climbing item.

The rock climbing item is a ladder.

I see you point theblindpeople...perhaps if dirt could be modified to mud, by use of a tool of some sort, that would be cool.

I'm alright with the change if approached in the right way.

If stuff falls over because 'dirt can't make pillars in real life' then this was made for the entirely wrong reasons and should be reverted immideately. We have already established that realism isn't a thing.

It was changed because Bioxx wanted it changed, and its just as simple as that. Whatever reason he came up with to want it changed is his to have, if he wants to delete the mod and every trace of it he can find its his right as the developer. If he wants to make pink elephants romp across the landscape that eat bloomeries its his right.

Your right begins and ends with choosing weather or not to install his mod.

pink elephants romp across the landscape that eat bloomeries its his right.

That's a very oddly descriptive picture you paint.

... I really don't get why those who don't like the dirt slidings hate it : really.

You fear from falling in a ravine? You are supposed to ._. don't think of the ravine as a nuisance that you fall into and then waste 5 minutes to get out of, think of a ravine as a deadly trap for ANYTHING that falls in it.

You find it difficult to cover your charcoal pit? Well, seeing as the charcoal is one of the greatest resources you have in TFC -without which it's impossible to go further than the first tier metals-, it should certainly be difficult to obtain. And don't come here and say "but cutting down the trees for it is already difficult...", that's like saying cooking in a fireplace is difficult. It's not, it's just pretty boring and takes long time.

You want to climb a hill but find it impossible to do without pillaring? find a way around. TFC requires you to manage every single resource you obtain in your benefit. If you find something takes much more resources than it's worth, then look for another way.

Willow trees left a log block floating away? what's the matter? it's not like a thousand zombies will spawn under that log block due to you not cutting it down. And if you still think they will, then pillar up with some cobble -if still able to, i can't wait for Bioxx to apply this to cobble too- or something and cut it out.

Liked dirt houses? They are still possible, you know, as long as the entrace is in the roof and this roof is completely made of grass. Just make sure no mobs walk on it. Subterranean early base FTW.

You don't like wood for building your house?... Do i even need to say anything? -_-

What's the point of all this? if you want the game let you keep your life, to be friendly and easy as hell, then vanilla minecraft is waiting for you. This isn't vanilla minecraft. It's TFC. It's fighting for your survival. Now, instead of you quickly owning the mobs when you rech stone tools and then never caring about them again, you are trapped with weaker stone tools, trying to stay alive. The food mobs will either attack or be rare, the crops take ages to grow, every task can even take weeks for completion, with some chances of failing.

A vanilla world is mostly player friendly, forgiving, easy game; in general, is as easy to dominate as it is to place a saddle on a pig and ride him -in game, of course-. A TFC world is not. This was clear to me in the instant i saw how hard rocks are to break with your bare hand, the first time i played with the mod. The TFC world will help you as much as it will help any other mob in it's surface. And at chances, it will try to trap all of them into death. It's, as Eternal once said a while ago, "the survival of the craftiest". Your objective there is to be the craftiest, and no one will help you there. More like trying to tame a tiger; possible, but dangerous.

TL;DR: the dirt and sand should keep sliding, because it is exactly the kind of things this mod is pointing to do; make the game more difficult, more believable, and still enjoyable. If you don't like it, stay with the previous versions, because i doubt Bioxx is gonna take out this; what's more, i think he is gonna add more stuff of this style.

that's like saying cooking in a fireplace is difficult. It's not, it's just pretty boring and takes long time.

Exactly. If I want 'pretty boring and takes a long time' I'll stick with RL. Which is pretty much what I'm doing right now. Sand and dirt are actually pretty key in terraforming and this makes it incredibly frustrating. I honestly can't believe I need scaffolding just to plant trees.

Has anyone ever tried COX/COH/COV? And decorated a base? Well, long story short it was the most frustrating and difficult system I've ever come across. I hate to say it, but terraforming is starting to turn out like that. Minecraft is supposed to be about building my own work and shaping it how I like. In the meantime, I've actually been getting acquainted with gnomoria because I can actually terraform shit there.

Willow trees left a log block floating away? what's the matter? it's not like a thousand zombies will spawn under that log block due to you not cutting it down. And if you still think they will, then pillar up with some cobble -if still able to, i can't wait for Bioxx to apply this to cobble too- or something and cut it out.

Actually they do. They spawn above and below. Even the pillar doesn't help with that.

Liked dirt houses? They are still possible, you know, as long as the entrace is in the roof and this roof is completely made of grass. Just make sure no mobs walk on it. Subterranean early base FTW.

You don't like wood for building your house?... Do i even need to say anything?

No, you don't. I like building houses out of different materials each time just as the game was stated to be. Sometimes I make a lair under the desert. A log house in the snow. A plank house on an island. A cobblestone house in a valley. And yes, even a mud hut has its place in the world.

... I really don't get why those who don't like the dirt slidings hate it : really. A vanilla world is mostly player friendly, forgiving, easy game; in general,

As I've said a long time ago, I was once a tree farmer because I found metal work too difficult.

I appreciate that the mod has some challenges, but without something easy to balance that out, it just gets to be not a game, but a nuisance at every corner.

Everyone has their own idea of fun- what they like in this mod and why they chose to install it. Telling people to 'go back to vanilla' just because you can't understand someone else's opinion on what they find fun is is just a discredit to you.

Just as everyone has their own idea of what fun is, everyone has a threshold of 'frustrating' is and a point where the game becomes 'no longer fun'. Can you at least understand that and respect it instead of the childish "Well go pick up your toys and go back to mommy." answer.

'Willow trees left a log block floating away? what's the matter? it's not like a thousand zombies will spawn under that log block due to you not cutting it down. And if you still think they will, then pillar up with some cobble -if still able to, i can't wait for Bioxx to apply this to cobble too- or something and cut it out.'

Or... Make a damn 'planks' item and tear it down

the only change I would change to dirt, and mind you, ONLY dirt, is it stacking two blocks high before collapsing. Why? because most dirt is not bone fucking dry and can retain some symbolance of shape. Only two blocks. Nothing more, but I can settle for less(my first shelter is logs. ;P)

There is the small fact that dirt naturally spawns stacked several blocks high and it would be reasonable to expect yourself to be able to accomplish the same feat that nature perfected.

Adding the sliding dirt function was a good idea. Dirt was a nerfed resource that doesn't need the powers it once had. It just took some time to adjust, but there really is nothing taken away, but a lot of balance was added.

What I wouldn't mind seeing, and it has been suggested a few times, is the ability to create mud with the different types of dirt. It could be a function of the water bucket and dirt (repair style) in the 2x2 crafting gui. And then with mud, you can bake them into bricks. A very primitive starter building material, or one to make roads without having to deforest.

Look, Thread, I hate to put words in the mouths of the devs, but this change is here to stay.

Sorry, but if the change is so unplayable, then go to an earlier version or vanilla. It's not that I don't understand or respect your opinion on fun, it's just the reality of the situation.

What Azdoine said is true, this change will not likely be reverted, and in my opinion that is a good thing.

The Dirt/Sand Sliding is something you have to get used to, and after a while, I'm sure you will know how to properly deal with it.

the only change I would make would be to extend how high it could be stacked by a singe block. This allows the old compromise between playability and challenge. While you cant build a massive impenetrable fort of doom, you can build a small tower for small uses such as that willow(though as I stated, wood works to this effect as well)

It was changed because Bioxx wanted it changed, and its just as simple as that. Whatever reason he came up with to want it changed is his to have, if he wants to delete the mod and every trace of it he can find its his right as the developer. If he wants to make pink elephants romp across the landscape that eat bloomeries its his right.

Your right begins and ends with choosing weather or not to install his mod.

Despite me saying it should be reverted I never said I had any right to demmand this or expect it to be changed. I'm taking a hardball stance on the potential direction development could go. Ultimately this mod may not be for me, but so long as the design desires outlined to us are vague enough to avoid this clearly silly bullshit I'm voicing to the devs that I don't want a realistic simulation.

Any vitrol I'm projecting is not aimed at the devs here, it's at you, the other players here. Not gonna let you guys sway things towards bad mechanics without thinking about things.

Can you at least understand that and respect it instead of the childish "Well go pick up your toys and go back to mommy." answer.

Well, the thread was basically about how much people hate this change and why, too little people was for the opposite side, and those who were were completely ignored or shoot down by the same arguments, in a childish way. What i did was bringing the opposite side of the thread's arguments to the thread and shooting down those ever-standing arguments against this change, so it is, in fact, a discussion, and not a club of sand/dirt sliding haters. I tried to bring it down to the level of most of the users in the thread, so they could understand.

I do understand your opinion now that i readed your post. I do respect it. But i won't take that back, 'cause i didn't said that because i didn't understanded what you guys meant. I said that because it's the truth; This change won't go away 'cause it's the direction the mod was always going to, and will continue to go to. If you don't like it, you can either follow the mod despite this and whine everytime this change annoys you, or stay with previous versions and look as the mod advances to the awesomeness, or leave it behind. There isn't an option that let's you keep up with the mod without worrying about this, unless you decide not to place dirt or sand ever again.