Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sushiy (aka Kwink007)

New gamemechanic instead of the almighty WORKBENCH

85 posts in this topic

Hello again my dear fellow forum-....people..i guess..

I was just playing the BTW mod...and while doin so I came up with an idea..that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the BTW mod!!(no irony) And yes...i have seen the threads of some people about woodworking

This is what I came up with

( I really did check for existing threads...well roughly....if it has been said/suggested exactly like this before: My bad i shall lock/delete this right away!!)

WHAT IS THIS ABOUT/Background story...:

SHORT: Woodcutting similar to chiseling

LONG:

SO, if you want to shape say...wood...and have a log around...aaaand you would want to make..a support.. or a fence!

Would you need to put the log onto a workbench to use a knife/axe on it?

No you would not. aaaand you wouldnt do it in your pocket/backpack/while carrying it with you (this is an implication to the inventory workspace) either!!

What I would do (with no regards to the fact that I have never done it ever before...), is that i would take the log...put in on the ground or a sawhorse/ramp (googletranslated:D) and would take my axe aand.. hit the log with it!!

I would then (if i didn't completely fail at it) get the desired object.

Now for a support i would probably use an axe or a saw... and just cut the log into a more rectangular and straight shape (I know everything in minecraft is that way...BUT that's not of interest here... haha:D)

For making planks as well! which is pretty much the same just cutting them in half after that. (lenghtwise)

Now what if I want to make a Bowl for example.. (or a fence or anything that would require a bit of "smallscalework")

Would anyone in his right mind try to make a bowl out of a 1m³ cube, with nothing but a knife?!

Well I wouldn't!!

I would first. cut the thing in half...cut of the edges...and make it roughly match the bowl in size.THEN I would take a knife...and carve a bowl outta it!

Seems Legit?! I think so!

How would I like to see this in the Mod:

• Well the first part is easy!! Logs are already placeable now! Only thing that needs to be added, is kinda making the axe/saw able to do things similar to the chisel !!

As soon as the block meets a required shape, it could be picked up via rightclick...and then be

used as an item!

The tools would have to be able to do 2 things.

But obviously an axe is worse for woodworking than a saw is.

Both would take a certain number of hits (a few seconds if the button is held)

to perform either task.

1. SHAPE: The ability to take off the sides of the block aka. SLAB-MODE

The axe would have the malus of having a random chance to take away more then you wanted to! The minimum

amount of wood you would take off is...2 of 10. The chance could be reduced with better axe material.

The saw would have no malus and the amount would be 1 of 10.

2. SPLIT: The ability to cut one block into parts both from the top, and the side.

In order to split a block you would need to shape every side (not top or bottom) of the block at least once to get the

bark off...like this:

Posted Image

If the Block was shaped with an axe, it could be split into 2 parts from every direction.

If the Block was shaped with a saw, it would be 3 parts.

The axe would again have a random chance for cutting uneven therefore making

only 1 good half (axeshaped) or 2 good thirds (sawshaped). Again, better axe material could reduce the chance.

The saw would not get that malus.

For an axeshaped block it would look like this (top towards the viewer)

Posted Image

Left-clicking the top of the block would Split it vertically in the direction you are facing.

Left-clicking any side of the block would Split it horizontically .

Like I said before, the items could be right-clicked to be picked up at their present state.

Woodworked Items would be:

Supports, Fenceposts from SHAPING.

Slabs, Planks and Small blocks (for making wooden bowls etc.) from SPLITTING.

• The Carving or "further processing"-part is a bit harder i think, because it could hardly be done in the same way and would rather need an interface. I think Esteban had a thread HERE about something like a knapping interface.

If, however, the new chiseling mechanic is finished, it might work with this as well....(I am still not entirely sure how this new chiseling will work...so no further comment here)

If I have an idea about this later I might add it...but I don't right now...:/

So that's my Idea, I hope you like it and don't consider it a waste of time to have read this post!!

Feel free to comment and/or criticize the idea or the way I presented it, as well as add your own ideas and suggestions to it.

Haha...now i have 8 likes but nobody ever commented on this..:D Is that a good or a bad thing?!

Haha...now i have 8 likes but nobody ever commented on this.. :D Is that a good or a bad thing?!

A bad thng if you want people to talk, a good thing if you only want to see their opinions :P

I think it's because we see the idea, like it, and then think that there's probably no way so we go back and avoid thinking about awesomeness suppressed.

A bad thng if you want people to talk, a good thing if you only want to see their opinions :P

HAHA:D well that's true I guess...

I think it's because we see the idea, like it, and then think that there's probably no way so we go back and avoid thinking about awesomeness suppressed.

uh...okaaay...well you never know until you try right?! ;)

Many of us like the idea, but have nothing to add. So don't worry! It just means that we like your idea, and can't think of any way to improve on it.

aka: Dont mess with something that isnt broken. You'll just end up breaking it

Many of us like the idea, but have nothing to add. So don't worry! It just means that we like your idea, and can't think of any way to improve on it.

and

aka: Dont mess with something that isnt broken. You'll just end up breaking it

WOW!:D Well thanks guys;)

I was just thinking about what playing the mod with this suggestion, and it was cooler than sex.

Seriously, that's how awesome this idea is.

Dunk, your the forum stalker. STALK THIS THREAD NOU!

Properly implemented carpentry *drools* Ó.ò

I should spend a solid hour liking and unliking this thread.

Haha:D

Thanks for the Support guys!!!:D

I was messaging with dunk about stuff so i just threw in the suggestion to look this thread up..so we oughta get some feedback sooooooon..ish:)

I should spend a solid hour liking and unliking this thread.

And i thought it was a joke....:D

You, sir are spamming my notifications!! :D

Had to do it once. Just once. Laughing so hard right now. I'll leave you be now. How many was it btw? I spent only 3 minutes at it.

Hmm... Thats not a lot. Round two? ;p

jk

dawww... Fine. You win THIS time.

I get the idea we are just bumping at this point. DUNK COME HERE AND START A DEBATE ON THIS NOW. so you know, we dont feel guilty from bumping..

Bioxx says I'm not to talk about possible features which may or may not involve splitting wood.

I get the idea all bioxx is just a troll. Tell him to get from under his bridge and stop forcing people to pay a toll! ;D

Whhhy must you TORTURE us with comments like thhhhat D:

/whine

I get the idea all bioxx is just a troll. Tell him to get from under his bridge and stop forcing people to pay a toll! ;D

Whhhy must you TORTURE us with comments like thhhhat D:

/whine

You have to pay the troll toll if you want to get into the boy's hole soul

Alright, I have 8 flawless diamonds. Will that be enough to get the happyhappyjoyjoy Info?

You have to pay the troll toll if you want to get into the boy's hole soul

You know, I'm starting to think that your oversexed sense of humor is, well, compensation.