Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AlloftheSquids

Bricks and Cements, Pulverizing rocks

24 posts in this topic

Browsing through I didn't see any that were on this vein but then again I may be blind, so please forgive me if I missed something.

Bricks for building would be nice to have in TFC, outside of the stone bricks, seeing as they represent a large portion of building materials used throughout history by humanity and such.

Mud bricks would consist of some sort of plant matter and dirt in combination with one another. Plant matter could include kindling, or strips of wood produced by taking a knife to a plank and essentially whittling off shreds (such a substance could prove useful as paper does in helping to start fires more easily) or perhaps even a scrap product of grain when it is crafted with a knife to produce refined grain. Mud bricks would not need to be strong but could represent an in-between building material for those who don't wish to build a flammable house and do not have access to stone outside of loose cobble.

Clay bricks would be the next set up, created by a 2x3 rectangle of clay in a crafting table, and would need to be baked in a forge or a campfire, and then crafted together with mortar to create the classic brick-and-mortar style block present in vanilla minecraft. Ancient mortars made of clay and dirt (or alternatively clay and sand) mixed with water could make for a loose mortar, not particularly sturdy, and requiring light to dry (one would have to build layer by layer and wait for their build to dry), while more advanced mortars made of combinations of lime, sand, and clay would make for sturdier and faster-drying construction.

Lime could be obtained by crafting loose Limestone with a hammer, pulverizing it to lime dust, a mechanic that could be used with other rock types to produce various rock dusts that could be potentially incorporated into bricks and mortars to produce different properties and appearances.

EDIT: I realize we already have lime, it's just called Flux, and made exactly in this manner.

If Ash were incorporated into the game, it could not only be used as fertilizer potentially in the agricultural side of things to enrich soil but as well to produce types of cement that are able to set underwater, such as Pozzolanic mortar, which would differ from other lime-based mortars by the addition of ash in the recipe. As for an ash recipe, I would burning wood in open air and having it create a partial block in the same way that charcoal is created, just with a lighter texture for the ash block.

Terra cotta would make for an interesting building material as well, incoporating clay and pulverized rocks together in a ceramic that could produce tile blocks for roofing, a material for storage pots and even cooking devices. The possibilities with ceramics and cements are very wide and can draw from many actual traditions used the world-over to create structures that resemble something a bit more realistic.

These are just some basic suggestions, and even if ceramics do not become a major part of building in TFC, mechanics like pulverizing rocks to produce substances like lime or basalt sands could prove useful in agricultural pursuits. Maize was not viable as a food source unless soaked in water with lime (not the fruit, crushed limestone, or Calcium oxide) as otherwise many of its nutrients were locked away behind cell walls that humans cannot digest. Since the stones themselves are present in this game, it would be nifty to have a real use for them aside from just the building aspect.

Food for thought.

This is an awesome suggestion, I really like bricks, like a lot, and have wanted to see them in TFC for a while now. You have just made that dream a possibility, with a well thought out and plausible suggestion. The only problem is how you propose we make lime, we already smash limestone with a hammer to make flux, so there needs to be an alternative way to acquire lime.

Oh, and I almost forgot, Welcome to the forums!!

Oh wow, derp, I totally spaced on the fact we make flux like that... but seeing as lime is our flux in Terrafirmacraft, I might suggest just straight up calling it lime, since that's what you get for breaking up calcium oxides into a powdered form. Even more reason, seeing as we already have flux in the game, to incorporate it into more of the game mechanics rather than just for joining ingots.

hmm, sounds good to me, I always seem to have way too much flux lying around, it could do to have another use. Having chests full of a white powder may not make the best first impressions...

hmm, sounds good to me, I always seem to have way too much flux lying around, it could do to have another use. Having chests full of a white powder may not make the best first impressions...

Well, you know, unless you're throwing a party for a Mister Sheen... and we don't have tigers as such in Terrafirmacraft so I don't think you could really serve the right cocktails for the event.

Oh that reminds me! I need to go make that brewing/alcohol suggestion i've been meaning to do for a week now.

Oh that reminds me! I need to go make that brewing/alcohol suggestion i've been meaning to do for a week now.

Ciders, grapes growing for wine, beers, yeast cultivation... would be interesting to actually get into making wort, getting an ale yeast or lager yeast isolated in the air by setting a sourdough style culture with water and milled flour. Be careful of lactobacillus though, that'll make some pretty awful beers and wines if it gets in and makes a bunch of lactic acid. Perhaps that might be a bit complicated to get into the yeast types but damn if it wouldn't be fun to go through the steps of cultivating the yeast, wheat, and barley for making a good heffeweizen... or building a vineyard and a wine cave. Cheese, too, in TFC would be fun. But yes, a brewing suggestion would be awesome, especially if they introduce rules for standing water not being suitable for drinking unless distilled, and likewise for ocean water, as well as basic thirst rules.

Also, we'd have to get bees and apiaries if we ever wanted to make mead in TFC.

already a bees thread a few pages back, but what im planning to do is outline a tfc friendly brewing process for each type of period accurate drink. You'll see when I do it.

already a bees thread a few pages back, but what im planning to do is outline a tfc friendly brewing process for each type of period accurate drink. You'll see when I do it.

I am looking forward to the post. Also, considering we are getting barrels sometime soon it would be fun to char the insides of oak barrels, or use peat in proper whiskey production (scotch, burbon, irish whiskey)

Also, don't forget about rum, since we have sugarcane.

I'm going to include rum, but, I wasn't sure at first, since it was developed a bit after the time period of TFC in the Caribbean. But then I read about a "sugar wine" that was reported by travelers and explorers. So i think it will work.

Look out for the post later in the day, I'm in school atm, but when i'm out ill start working on it.

I am amused how we have gone from bricks and cements to booze and from meteors to volcanoes so quickly. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing.

lol, thats just something that happens here, you get used to it :P

But it also makes this the best suggestion forum around.

I highly support the ideas of mudbricks from sand and dirt. This opens up effective survival in places that can't afford trees for log cabins (which seem the only viable starting shelter at the moment) So surviving in a desert might actually be reasonable with a bit of work. Could always make a brick mold with 5 planks of wood shaped like the recipe for a boat. You then add a water bucket and either dirt or sand together in a crafting table. This would make a weak simple walling block, as it would be affected by gravity (no mortar) and would possibly break if it hits the grounds. Would mean you'd need to make roofs of something a bit sturdier, and you'd need to support your doorway.

I highly support the ideas of mudbricks from sand and dirt. This opens up effective survival in places that can't afford trees for log cabins (which seem the only viable starting shelter at the moment) So surviving in a desert might actually be reasonable with a bit of work. Could always make a brick mold with 5 planks of wood shaped like the recipe for a boat. You then add a water bucket and either dirt or sand together in a crafting table. This would make a weak simple walling block, as it would be affected by gravity (no mortar) and would possibly break if it hits the grounds. Would mean you'd need to make roofs of something a bit sturdier, and you'd need to support your doorway.

It had slipped my mind the use of molds and boards... with a few planks in a mold, and a plank to cap the mold with and apply pressure to one could make some very effective bricks rather quickly and efficiently. There are a ton of recipes that were used for early bricks, and even reeds in mud with sand seems a reasonable method for how to make mud bricks. Also, the molds used for melting metals could potentially be used as well to make baked nonceramic bricks in the campfire interface.

At that point you could make it an either/or. Place materials in ceramic holder, place on the ground during the day for it to bake, or, bake it on a fire. I'd like a non-firepit based option though, as the odds are you're making these bricks due to a scarcity of wood.

At that point you could make it an either/or. Place materials in ceramic holder, place on the ground during the day for it to bake, or, bake it on a fire. I'd like a non-firepit based option though, as the odds are you're making these bricks due to a scarcity of wood.

Having multiple ways to get to the same end is always nice. One of the strong points I felt with TFC was that the campfire and the forge could accomplish the same tasks, and it was just a matter of efficiency.

mortar will exist, but no more secrets.

No more secrets? So it's public information?

*gets popcorn*

;)

mortar will exist, but no more secrets.

Sweet zombies! Awesome. I wonder if cements will make it in as well for making blast-resistant structures. Would be interesting if eventually you could get to making Rebar from ingots and had to place it first before pouring... but that's speculation, and I don't know how interested they would be in putting in said mechanic.

Sweet zombies! Awesome. I wonder if cements will make it in as well for making blast-resistant structures. Would be interesting if eventually you could get to making Rebar from ingots and had to place it first before pouring... but that's speculation, and I don't know how interested they would be in putting in said mechanic.

that's a little... modern.

More of a silly thought.

Yes and no. The idea of specifically rebar is modern, but the idea of reinforcing structures with other stuff is not, one example is reinforcing a mud hut with sticks. The mud protects the sticks from the sun and the sticks give structural integrity. This is not even a stone's throw away from reinforcing brick with either rods or pipes.

Yes and no. The idea of specifically rebar is modern, but the idea of reinforcing structures with other stuff is not, one example is reinforcing a mud hut with sticks. The mud protects the sticks from the sun and the sticks give structural integrity. This is not even a stone's throw away from reinforcing brick with either rods or pipes.

yeah, i should have been more specific, i was talking about rebar. I would actually love a reinforcement system. i believe it was talked about in the kingdoms suggestion thread.

It was, though this could also just be used more in the construction section of this mod. An example would be that while you could technically reinforce your whole home you'd at minimum want to reinforce the foundation to prevent crumbling if large weight is added, ie: walls.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0