Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AlloftheSquids

Meteors

25 posts in this topic

Okay, bear with me, this is not a suggestion for making meteors hit the countryside, but it would be a suggestion for pockets of some rarer metals to be found in formations that are similar to real-world strewn fields for meteor impacts.

Given your typical meteor impact, atypical metals such as tungsten and iridium, as well as good amounts of iron could be strewn at the top of the top-most rock strata or even within the dirt, though at a very low rate. Such areas would form in clusters along a path of impact, and perhaps at the middle of impact for the largest chunk of these metals could be a divet in the terrain generation, ranging from severe to slight, from many tens of blocks wide to only a dozen or so.

The space metals you can take or leave, seeing as TFC has a good deal of metals that don't get used often, but in terms of iron deposits within that first strata you dig into, it could make for a neat potential pattern, a more spread out sort of chunky distribution than your typical vein. As for terrain generation, craters can look really sweet in the long run, and even if they are so slight that you might never figure out that you are standing in a crater for the longest time, if you've ever stood at an impact crater in the real-world you can probably attest to the feeling of context that it gives you... that the ground you stand on is not the only ground out there, that once the ground beneath your feet was made up of swirling chunks of debris and dust in space that got cobbled together over time.

Terrafirmacraft contains some of the coolest cave generation you can find in any minecraft mod there is, the different types of rocks, trees, and grass make the world gorgeous, and it would be pretty cool to come across some rarer geological features, especially ones that serve an in-game purpose as being a potential source for one of the more oft-used metals and potentially for some rarer ones, and nearer to the surface at that.

I realize this idea is a little out there, but it struck me as something that would be just plain neat at the end of the day.

I +1 this idea, Not only do craters look cool, but they can help you if its deep enough. Lets say Jimmy boy the third came waltzing down the mountain side with his metal tools, and saw his first crater. Jimmy goes mining at the asteroid and gets greedy, He mines the whole asteroid and then he prospects the area and comes across more ore because of how deep some craters can be. Jimmy doesn't feel so good for some reason he concludes that there was some sort of space bacteria on that asteroid and starts to have convulsions and then goes into a coma. Needless to say, Jimmy can't crack corn anymore, And I do care.

I +1 this idea, Not only do craters look cool, but they can help you if its deep enough. Lets say Jimmy boy the third came waltzing down the mountain side with his metal tools, and saw his first crater. Jimmy goes mining at the asteroid and gets greedy, He mines the whole asteroid and then he prospects the area and comes across more ore because of how deep some craters can be. Jimmy doesn't feel so good for some reason he concludes that there was some sort of space bacteria on that asteroid and starts to have convulsions and then goes into a coma. Needless to say, Jimmy can't crack corn anymore, And I do care.

and your point is?

there will never be space bacteria in TFC, at least i would hope not...

This is more intended as an ore- and terrain-generation suggestion for surface and just-below-the-surface features, and would allow another plausible source of metals for players to look out for. Having certain geological features that were readily discernable like craters would also be nifty in that it may give some more direction for where to pan and sluice for metals in the earlier game.

and your point is?

It was a joke, yes i know what this is, i just think that if iron and higher up ores are easy enough to find on meteors then there should be some sort of drawback to mining it.

It was a joke, yes i know what this is, i just think that if iron and higher up ores are easy enough to find on meteors then there should be some sort of drawback to mining it.

These would have to be rare finds on a map, for one, and for another, if you did want to incorporate a drawback, keep in mind that with most metal meteors, the metals will melt along the outside of the rock seeing as the friction of moving through the atmosphere will generate sufficient heat. If you wanted to give a drawback you could potentially introduce them as a rock type with a harder toll on pickaxes, using up their durability much more quickly to extract the ore. Otherwise, keep in mind that many times you are dealing with Magnetite, not hematite, so you would be working with the more annoying forms of iron within Terrafirmacraft.

I would imagine it would be VERY rare, its more of a bonus IF you find it, not an easy way to get iron.

EDIT: damn, you beat me to it >.<

I would imagine it would be VERY rare, its more of a bonus IF you find it, not an easy way to get iron.

EDIT: damn, you beat me to it >.<

Party on Garth. And yes, it's really about the sense of scope for Terrafirmacraft... Rare geological features like these can give a bit more depth to the world, even if you only come across them once in a blue moon. I am fully in favor of occasionally finding volcanoes or ocean trenches or other such features even if you may not find them on every map you make, if only for the fact that it will give that little extra something to the world gen.

Party on Garth. And yes, it's really about the sense of scope for Terrafirmacraft... Rare geological features like these can give a bit more depth to the world, even if you only come across them once in a blue moon. I am fully in favor of occasionally finding volcanoes or ocean trenches or other such features even if you may not find them on every map you make, if only for the fact that it will give that little extra something to the world gen.

It would be cool if the volcanos could erupt or explode like Pompeii, adding a real threat to the game world. But for just looks it's nice, Mabye throw in some glaciers in large oceans so when yoiur sailing away and not paying attention you might run into one.

both of those have been talked about before, glaciers would be awesome, as would volcanoes. But volcanoes will likely be akin to RP2 volcanoes if they ever get in, having eruptions would be, shall we say, problematic.

(yes I know tropicraft has erupting volcanoes, but there was a thread a while back and it was pretty much decided that we didn't want to have them in TFC)

both of those have been talked about before, glaciers would be awesome, as would volcanoes. But volcanoes will likely be akin to RP2 volcanoes if they ever get in, having eruptions would be, shall we say, problematic.

(yes I know tropicraft has erupting volcanoes, but there was a thread a while back and it was pretty much decided that we didn't want to have them in TFC)

They wouldn't necessarily have to physically erupt, But if a very rare chance a volcano is "Active" the area would be very dark due to ash clouding the skies, it would snow ash and the area would always be pretty hot, and or cold. And it can be used to easy harvest said volcanic ash. Also the area would be deadly to anything unless a Peice of Cloth like substance is tied around your mouth as a mask.

They wouldn't necessarily have to physically erupt, But if a very rare chance a volcano is "Active" the area would be very dark due to ash clouding the skies, it would snow ash and the area would always be pretty hot, and or cold. And it can be used to easy harvest said volcanic ash.

hmm, that sounds pretty cool actually, Bioxx would need to nail down localized weather first, and make a whole new kind of weather. But after that, what would ash be useful for?

hmm, that sounds pretty cool actually, but what would ash be useful for?

Ash could be useful in fertilizing soil to increase yields of crops or to produce ceramics, cements, and mortars, including types that can set underwater. I briefly go into this on my other suggestion thread here.

hmm, that sounds pretty cool actually, but what would ash be useful for?

Well as the OP stated in his other topic about different bricks, Maybe the ash could be used as an early form of mortar, since volcanic ash is a very bonding like substance,Mostly the ash could be used to make different forms of pottery, or if colored glass comes in mabye mineral traces in some sort of different colored ash when added to sand can color it diffrently? I dunno i'm just brainstorming i may be wrong entirely.

edit: Damn beat me to it.

Oh, right, forgot you talked about ash in there. :P

one other reason for meteors:

Iridium

NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE

Go- I mean Bioxx has spoken.

NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE

Go- I mean Bioxx has spoken.

Okay, bear with me

But... the bear was with him D:

(?)

As I said the idea was a bit out there, more of an easter egg for land generation. I did enjoy the back-and-forth, though, so cheers.

As I said the idea was a bit out there, more of an easter egg for land generation. I did enjoy the back-and-forth, though, so cheers.

Easter eggs are fine, but for gameplay and balance (even if we felt it fit with the theme) they would be so impractically rare that the time and energy to code it would vastly outweigh any changes it made to gameplay.

and your point is?

I think it would be pretty interesting to include radioactive deposits like uranium and such, that give you radiation poisoning of increasing strength the longer you stay too close to it (or carry it around for that matter). No real reason to mine it as you can't use it with stone/bronze/iron age tech, but still would add some additional risk to mining, and KNOWING whats around you.

It could fit with this meteor crater theme, as you could make them dangerous to mine by having them contain these rare elements.

I think it would be pretty interesting to include radioactive deposits like uranium and such, that give you radiation poisoning of increasing strength the longer you stay too close to it (or carry it around for that matter). No real reason to mine it as you can't use it with stone/bronze/iron age tech, but still would add some additional risk to mining, and KNOWING whats around you.

It could fit with this meteor crater theme, as you could make them dangerous to mine by having them contain these rare elements.

uhhh... Didn't you see the post where I shot this down?

It chrashed and burned. (lol meteors)

This isn't fallout, its TFC.

(I do love fallout though :D)

*resurrects a dead thread*

There's another alternative here (and wayyyy simpler to do and more believable) which is just to have the odd surface rock come up as a chondrite, and with it the chance to find a few small bits of surface iron. As an added use, a chondrite could be like flint and used for arrow heads that pack slightly more punch but don't shoot as far. Chondrite wouldn't ever be a block found in stone form since they are generally just little bits of glass and iron. They are really common in some places though (I can't take a walk in the fields around here without coming across them), and many stone age cultures used them extensively because of their density and durability.

I realise though that this would still result in a change to world generation which is not presently desired. But we've been discussing such things anyway of late (not that I've been here long enough to have a good fix on what is 'of late'). Also 'cause meteors are cool and don't have to be ridiculously rare to the point of not making sense and not being worth all the coding required.

*resurrects a dead thread*

There's another alternative here (and wayyyy simpler to do and more believable) which is just to have the odd surface rock come up as a chondrite, and with it the chance to find a few small bits of surface iron. As an added use, a chondrite could be like flint and used for arrow heads that pack slightly more punch but don't shoot as far. Chondrite wouldn't ever be a block found in stone form since they are generally just little bits of glass and iron. They are really common in some places though (I can't take a walk in the fields around here without coming across them), and many stone age cultures used them extensively because of their density and durability.

I realise though that this would still result in a change to world generation which is not presently desired. But we've been discussing such things anyway of late (not that I've been here long enough to have a good fix on what is 'of late'). Also 'cause meteors are cool and don't have to be ridiculously rare to the point of not making sense and not being worth all the coding required.

did you see the part where I stomped this suggestion? Don't know why I didn't just lock the thread...