Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
dinoman1996

plant genetics = allsume

132 posts in this topic

Please do make a new topic this idea has endless possibilities, I would love an even further in-depth explanation if you can. Amazing idea and I have confidence that if anyone can add these features it would be Bioxx and Dunk.

Please do make a new topic this idea has endless possibilities, I would love an even further in-depth explanation if you can. Amazing idea and I have confidence that if anyone can add these features it would be Bioxx and Dunk.

Sure they can, but they probably won't have it ready for the next... 10 updates if they spent they whole time at it, i guess ._.

I mean, that's really cool, but it sounds like a ton of work...

IMO.

I will work on a separate post. Something maybe more speedily implementable in minecraft. I mean, even if I got the proposed Kickstarter funding that project would be a year or two off of distro. I really wish I had money to support myself for a decade. I have way too many ideas like this that I just don't have time to work towards because I have to... work. I hate capitalism. It is restricting our growth potential and handicapping new ideas. Maybe it worked a hundred years ago, but that was a very different time. Anyways...

I had something else to say but it's gone now. I really hate capitalism. (Though this is not to say I endorse other particular system in favour. I just generally dislike how humans act in aggregate.)

Get a job doing what you love.

I will work on a separate post. Something maybe more speedily implementable in minecraft. I mean, even if I got the proposed Kickstarter funding that project would be a year or two off of distro. I really wish I had money to support myself for a decade. I have way too many ideas like this that I just don't have time to work towards because I have to... work. I hate capitalism. It is restricting our growth potential and handicapping new ideas. Maybe it worked a hundred years ago, but that was a very different time. Anyways...

I had something else to say but it's gone now. I really hate capitalism. (Though this is not to say I endorse other particular system in favour. I just generally dislike how humans act in aggregate.)

Like treyflix says - get a career

Jobs are for dipshits living with their parents (like me right now), a career is what you want (like me in hopefully less than a year). And for anyone misunderstanding me, a career is not just a high-paying job. It's a line of work in which you can be your own worst critic since you care about what you do on a level deeper than your paycheck. A career is spending your life getting paid to do something you'd do for free. Indeed, having gone to many lab classes in college, I've proven that not only would I work in a genetics lab for free, but I will actually take out loans to pay for the privilege

Imagine a crazy man walking into your room one day and saying that he'd pay you $150,000 a year if you agree to play minecraft at least 40 hours out of every week. You'd think he was mad, and you'd think you were the luckiest bastard on earth. That's what having a career is like.

Get a job doing what you love.

Like treyflix says - get a career

*snip*

I have a career doing stuff I love to do (program, play with math and physics, and sometimes roam around the streets testing things) but the problem is that I love to do a lot of things. So I'm expanding the career into something else I love doing (finishing off a master's in Sociology and off to do PhD next fall) but not really stopping the first. There are also two corporations that are in the business model planning stages right now that I'm a part of, and on top of that I keep getting other ideas for things I want to do or get started - ideas like that one. So what I really need is about 12.5 million dollars so that I can employ all the people I need to employ in these various different ventures so that I can start delegating the execution of all of these ideas.

I live comfortably right now, but I do not have 12.5 million dollars.

While this idea sounds pretty awesome, i think it's making the mechanic overly complex compared to the timescale/technology avaliable through this system.

Typically, the evolving traits of plants would not be something you specifically aim for, but rather something that adapts through natural selection (that darwinian stuff, y'know)

While you would typically want your animals bigger/plants yielding more food/seeds/etc. It is something that would be evolving naturally and improving through the needs of the farmer.

You don't choose to plant 1 seed over the other because it has higher temperature tolerance/grows bigger/faster. You normally plant them both. However, the seed being the most temperature resistant will survive later in the season, increasing the chances of actually being harvested and consequently being used for seeds the next season. The same way, the plant yielding more seeds will replant in a larger scale, thus outcompeting other less efficient seeds over time. The same goes for plants that grow faster, giving more possible harvests each year.

Animal breeding is a different matter, as you would have a surplus of male animals for mating. Thus, you always use your strongest male specimen for breeding to ensure you have the highest quality offspring possible.

But on the topic of plant genetics, i think a better solution would be to start out with only unspecified seeds (this actually saves you some space when out punching grass early in the game)

These would have to be planted in order to even discover what kind of plant you have obtained. When harvested, these plants would give the "wild" version of whatever plant you harvested. However, if the plant were to be given the correct growth conditions on the second round, they would have an increased chance to move up one step on the traits-ladder (moving towards more domesticated plants) as they progress, they will be given better traits for growth/yield/temperature resistance. This system would reward farmers who know what they are doing, while not making farming completely unbearable to people who just want to support themselves with a small acre in their backyard.

As far as plant genetics go, that would be more suited for higher-tech minecraft mods (and there's a reason ic2 has something similar partially implemented already)

My opinion ofc :) but please tell if you agree/disagree on it :P