Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
CLuBLioN

Climate Question

23 posts in this topic

Why is warmer climate better? i heard it from youtuber that warm climate is better and in what direction i should go when i create new world (seed) to get to warm climate :)

P.S. i ask these questions because iam new to this mod but its very cool and realistic mod :)

sdfhjkl

A "Seed" is basically a generated world map design code. You can get the numbers in-game then share it with others if you found a good world (ie: Finding an extremely large bismuthinite ore vein when digging just 5 blocks deep. Not sure if it happened before, but giving an example). How to use a seed is to select "Create New World", click the "More World Options", then type the seed numbers into the seed generator. Leaving it blank means that the seed generated will be random.

Warm climate only really helps you during smelting and stuff which can be easily remedied with log types and bellows and only matters during the stone age and early metal age. Warmer climates can also help with crops and stuff, but crops and stuff are still really early in development so stuff is bound to change. Warmer climates do help, but the benefit is not really that big.

There's not much reason to search for warmer climates on their own, but if you've got no ores in your area it's not a bad idea to head towards the equator looking.

Well takeing in some assumtions and guesses as to the way the mod is headding, a hot climate might soon become something that makes gameplay more challenging.

For instance you may have a hotter forge, but soon we might have enviornmental dangers, such as overheating and dehydration as well as freezing and such. Who knows, maybe even higher temps will make it more challenging to keep crops properly hydrated as well.

For now higher temps might make a couple things easier to do, but things might change to make other things more difficult kind of a bunch of tradeoffs.

However atm none of that is confirmed that I know of and is largly speculation on my part.

Snow makes running from monsters quite a bit more difficult. Warmer climates should (in theory) make it easier to find deserts for sand and jungles for wood, if you need lots of those items.

In my experience, the temperate climate at spawn is too close to the equator to have snow, and I've found jungles at almost any latitude. I've actually seen fewer trees as I moved nearer towards the equator.

Unfortunately, this is all anecdotal evidence. It would be interesting if someone actually did a survey on a large world based on latitude.

At around z = +- 10000 you will notice significant growth time differences in your crops.

did deserts desapear in TFC? i was explaining the uses of dye to a friend, and he wanted a blue carpet and i thougth i want a green one, well there's no lapiz lazuli or cactus(?) in TFC so i googled other sources for that color and found this:

"Blue pigments can be obtained from cobalt oxide, phthalocyanine, aluminum silicate, zinc oxide and mixtures thereof.

Prussian blue is obtained from Ferroferricianuro Iron."

Don't know if that'll help TFC in any way but there it is, thou maybe a blue flower would do the trick :P

did deserts desapear in TFC? i was explaining the uses of dye to a friend, and he wanted a blue carpet and i thougth i want a green one, well there's no lapiz lazuli or cactus(?) in TFC so i googled other sources for that color and found this:

"Blue pigments can be obtained from cobalt oxide, phthalocyanine, aluminum silicate, zinc oxide and mixtures thereof.

Prussian blue is obtained from Ferroferricianuro Iron."

Don't know if that'll help TFC in any way but there it is, thou maybe a blue flower would do the trick :P

Lapis is indeed found in TFC. It's one of the minerals you can find. And like snow, I think deserts are bugged?

Lapis is indeed found in TFC. It's one of the minerals you can find. And like snow, I think deserts are bugged?

:o i thouht that all of the vanella ores were taken out from TFC sorry my bad...

Too bad about deserts... i like them more than i like snow... i miss them

At around z = +- 10000 you will notice significant growth time differences in your crops.

thats where i spawned ... significantly faster or slower .... if any one wants to compare my tomatoes and garlic took 3.5 months to grow and my onion 3 months I am still waiting on the rest

as far as I know, lapis doesn't spawn naturally. As for deserts, they do spawn, but use TFC sand instead of vanilla sand. When cacti are placed in the desert, they look for a vanilla sand block to spawn the cactus on (so that they don't grow in water). Because there are no vanilla sand blocks, cacti cannot spawn.

as far as I know, lapis doesn't spawn naturally. As for deserts, they do spawn, but use TFC sand instead of vanilla sand. When cacti are placed in the desert, they look for a vanilla sand block to spawn the cactus on (so that they don't grow in water). Because there are no vanilla sand blocks, cacti cannot spawn.

http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Lapis_Lazuli

^lapis does too exist.

And really? Thats good that deserts are ok. Im sure you guys can think of better desert flora then vanilla anywho. Why is snow bugged? Is it fixable?

http://wiki.terrafir...om/Lapis_Lazuli

^lapis does too exist.

And really? Thats good that deserts are ok. Im sure you guys can think of better desert flora then vanilla anywho. Why is snow bugged? Is it fixable?

I know it EXISTS, but that doesn't mean it SPAWNS

I hate to argue with a dev, but are you sure? I have it from several sources that it does indeed spawn, its not vanilla lapis, its TFC lapis and its in the spawning mineral list under the wiki.

I'm a bit disappointed after my first trip to the equator... I was expecting deserts half the way and finally jungles, and quite the contrary, as you move near the Equator, you see less and less trees.

Also, temperatures are working a bit too simplistic. They only depend on latitude, when it should also consider elevation above sea level, whether it's day or night, morning or afternoon, etc.

I'm a bit disappointed after my first trip to the equator... I was expecting deserts half the way and finally jungles, and quite the contrary, as you move near the Equator, you see less and less trees.

Also, temperatures are working a bit too simplistic. They only depend on latitude, when it should also consider elevation above sea level, whether it's day or night, morning or afternoon, etc.

we had to severely cut back on temperature changes as it was affecting crop growth, iirc. The lack of trees is due to a decrease in humidity in the programming, I think. I don't think it can accurately account for warm, humid biomes :/.

As for lapis, the last discussion I had with bioxx about it, I told him it was one of my favourite minerals, and I was disappointed that it didn't spawn. He said he had no plans to change it at the time, but this was over the summer. If it was in a hidden fix, it may well spawn. All I knew was that some of these things are so rare that some players may believe the game has features that it actually doesn't.

As for lapis, the last discussion I had with bioxx about it, I told him it was one of my favourite minerals, and I was disappointed that it didn't spawn. He said he had no plans to change it at the time, but this was over the summer. If it was in a hidden fix, it may well spawn. All I knew was that some of these things are so rare that some players may believe the game has features that it actually doesn't.

Well as for it spawning in TFC, I'm positive that it does. Though this was with 50 or 52, when the terrain gen was borked, but here's some picks of the lapis deposit. I was finding traces of lapis everywhere in this mine.

Deposit 1 (blue stuff above water, in the center)

Posted Image

Deposit 2 (also redstone)

Posted Image

Lapis Ore

Posted Image

Lapis Blocks

Posted Image

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why is snow bugged? Is it fixable?

As for this, I believe I recall reading something about since they moved TFC out of the Minecraft jar, they no longer have the necessarily hooks in Minecraft to mess with snow. So they have to wait for Forge to access those hooks (or something like that).

As for this, I believe I recall reading something about since they moved TFC out of the Minecraft jar, they no longer have the necessarily hooks in Minecraft to mess with snow. So they have to wait for Forge to access those hooks (or something like that).

yep

Just last night I got a Lapis Lazuli reading with my prospector's pick on a 52e SMP server. I didn't actually hunt down and mine it though.

Just last night I got a Lapis Lazuli reading with my prospector's pick on a 52e SMP server. I didn't actually hunt down and mine it though.

yes, we've already confirmed that it spawns,

Has anyone confirmed if it can be crafted into lapis blocks? Those were my favourite for decoration...

yes, we've already confirmed that it spawns,

Has anyone confirmed if it can be crafted into lapis blocks? Those were my favourite for decoration...

Yup, there are lapis blocks (had a pic in my last post). And yah, love their look.

Lapis Blocks

Posted Image