Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
dunkleosteus

Animals!

297 posts in this topic

In fact, apparently the awesome dragon will be in the south pole as well, as we all are spawning in the north pole...

Yey! Southern countries win this one! :D

Based on what you just said, northern countries win this one as well! :D

In fact, apparently the awesome dragon will be in the south pole as well, as we all are spawning in the north pole...

Yey! Southern countries win this one! :D

Not completely correct. In the real world the N pole of the magnets is attracted by the S pole, right?

Then why is the N pole of the compass attracted by the North pole of the earth?

Because the north pole of the earth is indeed the south pole of the earth.

Then this means that the south pole of the earth is indeed the north pole.

... Wolf, in the compass, the southern side of the needle is what points the direction ._. The north pole is the north pole...

Not completely correct. In the real world the N pole of the magnets is attracted by the S pole, right?

... 0.o

... Wolf, in the compass, the southern side of the needle is what points the direction ._. The north pole is the north pole...

Then why do they call N pole the one that points the north?

"if vegetation is implemented the sabretooth"

You have your "ifs" messed up. Vegetation is coming, sabretooths are not.

Then why do they call N pole the one that points the north?

Because it points north.....o_O.

Because it points north.....o_O.

Then they're making a mistake, because they dhould call it the south polou said is true. It is the south pole, if what you said is true.

Then they're making a mistake, because they dhould call it the south polou said is true. It is the south pole, if what you said is true.

The pole of the compass that points north is the south pole of the magnet. But it is called the north pole, not because it is the north pole of the magnet, but because it points to the north pole of the earth.

The pole of the compass that points north is the south pole of the magnet. But it is called the north pole, not because it is the north pole of the magnet, but because it points to the north pole of the earth.

Good!

Just for the lulz, let me put this into pokemon games's perspective:

"TheWolf277 used Confusion!"

... ._:

... 0.o

... o_O

"It's super effective!"

.O ... o.0 (I'm still soooooo confused right now?)

./|/

/ |

./

/

"if vegetation is implemented the sabretooth"

You have your "ifs" messed up. Vegetation is coming, sabretooths are not.

I did yes.

I didn't know for sure wether vegetation was confirmed or not so that's why i used "if" and i guess i forgot to add one infront of the sabertooth.

i like saying if. it lets me stay neutral!

because.. you know.. trying to stay neutral! v v v

Just for the lulz, let me put this into pokemon games's perspective:

"TheWolf277 used confusion!"

"It's super effective!"

And then they say that a common wolf isn't powerful enough...I won against 3 enemies :P

And then they say that a common wolf isn't powerful enough...I won against 3 enemies :P

I snapped out of it, and proved you wrong....eventually.

I snapped out of it, and proved you wrong....eventually.

You should know that everytime that I use the confusion is because I want to get something. The last time it was a molten brain and this time it was the proof that wolves are powerful pokemons.

You should know that everytime that I use the confusion is because I want to get something. The last time it was a molten brain and this time it was the proof that wolves are powerful pokemons.

Darn, seems like that one pokemon you get every single time you go into the tall grass.....they really ARE powerful!

I just have a couple animal related questions/suggestions.

Are Aurochs (if I'm remember what is planned to be implemented correctly) going to be similar in concept to the American Bison? My last semester of college I took a Montana History class and learned all about the Bison Jumps. TFC reminds me so much of everything else I learned about in that class I have this crazy desire to create a Bison jump on one of the plains and... well, use it!

Also, are birds (other than chickens) at all planned. (I should probably double check the planned list before I ask this, but I don't remember seeing any on there... could be wrong though.)

I really would love birds in tfc. it's one of my favourite animals from mo' creatures. they add so incredibly much to the atmosphere!

I realized this when i was chasing around a green bird with a very loud and annoying call who just wouldn't let my crops be. it's one of those things that doesn't need to be coded! it just comes naturallly.

Make bird cages for a bonus!

WHoa, whoa whoa!

I never seen deer in TFC.

So I went ahead now and googled them.

I had NO idea, that they were this awesome!!

This may be overly complicated, but as I was thinking about how I would be breeding my animals in game, I realized that there wasn’t a lot of incentive to be selective. So I began wondering what if each animal had specific traits that were desirable or undesirable in the animals you were breeding?

If specific traits were implemented (not necessarily those below) it would give an incentive for players to not only be selective in which animals to breed to which, but also to seek out better breeding stock throughout the world. So when you move from hunting to farming instead of hunting for the biggest, most impressive animals to kill, you are hunting for them to capture and tame.

These are the traits I’ve been considering:

Cows – Size, Meat Yield, Meat Quality, Milk Quality, Amount of Food required to survive

Pigs – Size, Meat Yield, Meat Quality, Amount of Food

Sheep – Size, Amount of Wool Yielded, Amount of Food needed

Chickens – Size, meat quality, amount of food needed

Wolves/dogs – Size, total health, defense, attack

Explanation of Traits

Size – Obviously this is simply the overall size of the animal. (I realize this is already implemented in the game, I felt I needed to include it though.) This would affect other traits such as meat yield for prey animals.

Meat Yield – The amount of meat the animal produces. This would depend on the size of the animal and their fat to meat ratio. This could also depend on the type of feed an animal is given. For instance those fed on grass would not necessarily produce as much meat as those fed on grain.

Meat Quality – This would simply be how filling the meat is. I’m not sure if this would be possible to implement as I realize it would probably cause the same stacking problems that food decay would.

Milk Quality – How much thirst milk sates and perhaps the possibility that it would sate some hunger as well? (I’m not sure if milk currently or will ever sate thirst or if this could cause the same issue as meat quality.)

Amount of Food – This would be how much food (of whatever source is implemented) each individual animal requires to survive. It would also be interesting if the amount of food available above and beyond the needed survival amount could increase the overall meat yield of the animal.

Amount of Wool yielded – This would be pretty much the same as the meat, except it would not necessarily depend on fat content, but perhaps just size and food quality?

Total health – Simply the total health an animal has available to it.

Defense – How resistant an animal is to attacks.

Attack – How effective an animal’s attack is.

Perhaps there could also be more negative traits, such as aggression towards the player, even when tamed. Also, I realize there has to be an in game way to discover these traits. Perhaps simply including the information when right clicking on the animal?

I know a lot of this idea needs a lot of tweaking, but that is what this forum is for is it not?

I think that animals should only have a size, and everything else would be based off this, such a meat yield.

When you breed 2 animals, the resulting animal can be slightly bigger of slightly smaller than the average size of the two animals. The bigger the average size is though, however, the longer it takes to breed, so if you manage to breed a cow the size of a house, it would take 10 years to get another one, while if you have tiny little mouse sized cows, then they would give birth in a week of breeding.

Obviously you'd want bigger ones, as they'd give more meat. The breeding time thing is simply to prevent people from getting biome sized cows. They could, but it would take millions of years ingame.

I think that animals should only have a size, and everything else would be based off this, such a meat yield.

When you breed 2 animals, the resulting animal can be slightly bigger of slightly smaller than the average size of the two animals. The bigger the average size is though, however, the longer it takes to breed, so if you manage to breed a cow the size of a house, it would take 10 years to get another one, while if you have tiny little mouse sized cows, then they would give birth in a week of breeding.

Obviously you'd want bigger ones, as they'd give more meat. The breeding time thing is simply to prevent people from getting biome sized cows. They could, but it would take millions of years ingame.

Not to mention the bigger, the more health... so a biome sized cow would probably take the fulldurability of two red/blue steel swords in order to kill it. And a full 32 guys's inventory probably wouldn't be enough to hold all the meat... ._. It's impractical to make animals THAT big.

(oh yeah, and logically speaking, they could easily kill you by accident in the same fashions you accidently kill ants when walking.)

The incessant breeding for bigger and bigger animals was another reason why I wanted to include the amount of food the individual animal needed to survive on. I forgot to include this in my post above, but that would also be affected by the size of the animal. Obviously a larger animal would require more food to survive on. Therefore a cow the size of a house wouldn't be practical due to the amount of food it would require to even get that large.

Speaking of, availability/quality of food could limit the size each animal could reach. Also, I think there could also be a size cap to limit the size the animals could reach. IRL a cow couldn't reach the size of a house because it's body isn't designed to be that large. It wouldn't survive.