Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
dunkleosteus

Animals!

297 posts in this topic

Can elephants have collision? I saw this one mod that gave mobs collision, like standing on the back of a pig. So we could run on its back, or it could push us off of a mountain easier. You could jump on the back of it to escape a wolf pack, or smack it with a sword before it shakes you off.

P.S I could not find the mod I was talking about.

aurochs =/= bison

Bison are like...buffalos right? And aurorchs are the ancestor of today's domesticated cow?

Buffalo and Bison aren't the same thing, but many people misidentify the American Bison (Bison Bison) as Buffalo. I don't really know much about aurorchs.

Close enough. I am pretty sure Bison and Buffalo are in the same Subfamily, but are seperate Genuses.

Close enough. I am pretty sure Bison and Buffalo are in the same Subfamily, but are seperate Genuses.

water buffalo are buffalo, american bison are bison. I always thought they looked quite different.

They are different but apparantly they are commonly called American buffalo. There's no such thing as a buffalo.

Water buffalo, American buffalo, (or bison) European buffalo (or bison) they're all very similar to eachother. The water buffalo just doesn't have as much hair all over himself.

Whoever decided to give the guy two names must've been nuts.

And then there's the Muskox!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskox

Which apparantly is closer related to sheep and goats than an ox!

Several cultures consisting of several million people speaking several different languages over several hundred years decided to give the animal multiple names.

Several cultures consisting of several million people speaking several different languages over several hundred years decided to give the animal multiple names.

Not particularly considerate of them all now is it?

How common will grain stealing rats be? And how do they steal grain out of chests (unless awesome grain piles become real)? Also, there may be problems with rats as they would multiply quickly with an abundance of unguarded grain, causing lag.

Rats well.

I was thinking. What if they do not appear as mobs until you open the chest in which they reside as items?

That's atleast when i always stumble upon them. opening some box or cupboard. last week i actually found one in the cooler, no fucking joke! i have no idea how they got in there.

What i'm saying is, rats shouldn't spawn as ordinary mobs on the ground everywhere. they should spawn from "infested" chests that you open and then proceed to make a run for it, where ever they can go. preferably into another chest. that'd be fun! leaving the chest unattended for too long and the rats will surely multiply, increasing the number of rats spawning when you open the chest.

I do not know at which point a chest should first become infested though. perhaps if you leave the chest unattended for too long, the first rat will simply move in.

And then there's the whole rat trap idea. i don't know Dunk's or Bioxx opinion on rat traps but if rats go down like this then you could craft yourself a trap and put it in your chest. it will kill the first rat to enter, doubling the amount of time that you can leave the chest unattended for. leave 2 traps and it'll triple. you know what i'm saying?

the more traps you leave in a chest, the longer you can go away and do other things. leave no traps and the first rat will soon become 2 and then 4, and then 8 etc etc.

At some point it has to stop of course. too many rats will obviously be a huge problem for people with low end computers. if they live in the chest as items they should not stack at all. so you don't have to worry about unleashing ratstacks of 64 at which point atleast my computer would commit suicide.

Cats could catch most of the mice/rats within a certain area. You would still get one in a chest randomly but it would be uncommon and wouldn't go higher than one in the chest. If the kittehs get a wander A.I. added onto their wait command, then they would catch the rats in a smaller radius but the radius would obviously be moving with them.

ACTUAL wild life (animals that haven't ever seen a human in their life) tends to keep a distance from humans; not precisely due to fear, but due to lack of knowledge. They have never interacted with humans, so they don't know what will happen if they get too near; therefore, they don't go near to try and keep themselves safe.

So, going with Greenleaf's idea of rats spawning as items in chests, there are two situations where rats should be more likely to spawn: When there is no players in the chunk the chest is in, and the protection time is below 0 (meaning the area has been abandoned for a long while), OR when the protection meter is above 24 (meaning the wildlife has got enough time to get used to humans and therefore they no longer avoid them).

ACTUAL wild life (animals that haven't ever seen a human in their life) tends to keep a distance from humans; not precisely due to fear, but due to lack of knowledge. They have never interacted with humans, so they don't know what will happen if they get too near; therefore, they don't go near to try and keep themselves safe.

So, going with Greenleaf's idea of rats spawning as items in chests, there are two situations where rats should be more likely to spawn: When there is no players in the chunk the chest is in, and the protection time is below 0 (meaning the area has been abandoned for a long while), OR when the protection meter is above 24 (meaning the wildlife has got enough time to get used to humans and therefore they no longer avoid them).

i don't know about that man. rats might book it when they know they've been spotted but the presence of humans is not enough to keep them from invading your house. if they know there's food in there (and they know this) then not even a city of humans will deter them from trying to get there. presence alone should not scare off rats. rather, it should encourage them!

i don't know about that man. rats might book it when they know they've been spotted but the presence of humans is not enough to keep them from invading your house. if they know there's food in there (and they know this) then not even a city of humans will deter them from trying to get there. presence alone should not scare off rats. rather, it should encourage them!

Could rats try to avoid being seen? That would be the most accurate, I think.

I have mice every winter in my house that come in from the surrounding fields, and they stay in the walls and rarely venture out in the open, and when you spot one, they bolt. Could rats in TFC have a similar behavior?

And yeah, if there's food, rodents WILL get to it if it is even remotely possible (Even if humans are in the other room, or in the room). So it is not unthinkable to wake up one morning to find a dead rat in your chest, when it wasn't there the night before. (Rodents like to get trapped trying to get to some morsel of food only realizing they can't get out after they are stuck, and then they starve/die of thirst. It's sad, really. :()

Could rats try to avoid being seen? That would be the most accurate, I think.

I have mice every winter in my house that come in from the surrounding fields, and they stay in the walls and rarely venture out in the open, and when you spot one, they bolt. Could rats in TFC have a similar behavior?

And yeah, if there's food, rodents WILL get to it if it is even remotely possible (Even if humans are in the other room, or in the room). So it is not unthinkable to wake up one morning to find a dead rat in your chest, when it wasn't there the night before. (Rodents like to get trapped trying to get to some morsel of food only realizing they can't get out after they are stuck, and then they starve/die of thirst. It's sad, really. :()

Same thing for me. I'm literary neighbours with farmlands so every winter they make their way into our house. had one crawl over my feets once. had a battle worthy of song with this little guy.

it'd be very interesting to see if it's possible to have them run away, like a creeper runs from cats, if they are within your field of view.

not as the enderman who flips out when you have your crossair right onto him. if this was the case then the player could just walk up to every rat he sees but avoid looking directly onto him before killing him.

It might be as simple as modding the enderman behaviour a little! enlarging the field in which the enderman would freak out, change the behaviour from attack to run away after he's been spotted and then slap this onto the rat mob instead!

Well then, several cultures are nuts. That explains a lot of things.

I really see no benefit other than atmosphere for adding rats. IMO (personal opinion here) Time would be much better spent creating something like Bison.

I really see no benefit other than atmosphere for adding rats. IMO (personal opinion here) Time would be much better spent creating something like Bison.

That's the entire point with rats! there shouldn't BE any benefits with having a house full of rats. they are pests! I really don't want to see rats end up as just another resource to be farmed by players. we've already discussed the thing about having rats be an ingredient for poison, but i would first go bark at Dunk about adding a potionmaking thingy maginy before talking about their poisonous properties.

Let rats be added. THEN talk about eventual "uses" for them. i'd still rather have them be completely useless. that's what defines a pests.

I would like to have a pet rat... would that count as a benefit? :P

That's the entire point with rats! there shouldn't BE any benefits with having a house full of rats. they are pests! I really don't want to see rats end up as just another resource to be farmed by players. we've already discussed the thing about having rats be an ingredient for poison, but i would first go bark at Dunk about adding a potionmaking thingy maginy before talking about their poisonous properties.

Let rats be added. THEN talk about eventual "uses" for them. i'd still rather have them be completely useless. that's what defines a pests.

Touché.