Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1SDAN

Unofficial SMP Trades Thread

36 posts in this topic

So, I was wandering the back 3 pages of this suggestions forum and I found an interesting post by dunk:

"SMP servers would open up possibilities as well, as it allows for actual skill trades. Some one good at carving could actually be hired to make statues for someone's house.

This is also why I feel that the difficulty have blacksmithing should be increased (I don't think Bioxx supports this though) I think that it should be a select trade, that only someone who has done a lot of smithing in TFC could ever be good at. That way, a server could have a dedicated blacksmith, who everyone brings ore to, and who makes tools per their specifications. That would be really cool and fun."

Now, before you start saying stuff I'm not implying, I want to say, it'd be very cool to have actual trades. Trades that few can truly master to make SMP more cooperative. You know, like blacksmithing, sculpting, prospecting(well, that's already hard enough) that kind of stuff.

I think that sculpture making would be awesome! Maybe stone cracks and falls off randomly unless chiseled just right. That way, you will need to learn from trial and error what works and what doesn't. Just like a real trade.

While wood would look worse unless you smooth it with sandpaper. Maybe it'd take a bunch of clicks to smooth it AND when smoothed, . it would reduce by one layer. That way, you'll need to plan to make a good sculpture and make it a true trade.

And maybe metalworking could have an easy hard mode the world can be set to so that we have the best of both worlds. (And it becomes a true trade)

Discuss your own ideas and comment on others below.

Source: http://terrafirmacra...isel-functions/

Edited by 1SDAN

I can honestly say I have no idea what I am supposed to be discussing in here :)

Ideas for trades. (as in blacksmithing, sculpting, farming, ect)

Agreed. Perhaps you should have done what I do. I leave the post on my computer for a full day and work on it before posting. that way people at least know what it IS ;P

does not stop them from attacking me like the sharks they are though. lol

Well I mean like trades that few can master and perfect. Trades that will make it so not everyone can do everything on their own. It will force a society to emerge, cut down on griefing and killing so that people can gain for the common good.

Well, in the cartography thread -which is dead right now :-, two proffesions jumped over that could form part of the mod:

1) A cartographist -not sure if it's spelled like that-, a guy who draws maps. Even if it does not look as something hard, making maps can be really difficult, because she/he must know when to be as accurate as possible and when to sacrifice precission for easier self-placement in the map. A good map will remark terrain features that will let you know where you are in it, because TFC maps should no longer have that moving point representing the player.

2) An artist, which is simply a guy who takes some paper, some inks and a feather and starts drawing stuff. It would allow pixel art to become easier and possible in survival mode. This would replace those vanilla pre-determined paintings with player made ones, and depending on the artist, they could become a product only for the higher classes -best pixel artists could become millionaire!- or simply a home-made decoration.

its cartographer JAG.

we need a way to revive the thread.

Ideas for trades. (as in blacksmithing, sculpting, farming, ect)

Well, I would really like to see some for fishing, as right now, fishing is kinda bland. You sit there, and hold your rod in the water and sit there. There should be nets, and bait, and different "tiers" of fish. The different tiers of fish could heal more hunger. There could be sharks in the water that are very dangerous; they attack when they are hungry and smell "blood" (either of a fish or the player) The player could be attacked by a shark when he is damaged. Bigger, Higher tiered fish could require better bait. For example, sharks would require other large fish like tuna, while a minnow would require no bait. In the case where no bait is required, bait would just increase the chance of that fish being caught.

You could also have to skin the fish and remove organs like the heart or gills and scales. If you dont do it properly, the fish would not heal as much hunger shanks, or not heal at all and just give food poisoning. This is just the preparing part of it. You will have to cook it evenly on parts too. However you would only have to do this for the higher tiered fish(tuna, sharks, etc.) Minnows, would require virtually no preperation.

The whole higher tiered fish idea would only be really viable with Bioxx's "higher player health pool" idea he made in the neewest blog post. So minnows could only heal one or a half hunger shank, but tunas or sharks would have to be cut up into pieces to consume as they would be so big. Larger fish would also need better nets. If you want to really fish, and not just catch minnows(which will only spawn near the shore and maybe in rivers), you will need a fishing boat. It will be larger than the vanilla boat at the smallest for aesthetic and practical reasons. Some fish would ony spawn in oceans or shallow water.

So yeah, those are just my two cents!

*snip*

I like it, maybe bigger fish need stronger lines and rods, like iron.

And the preparation idea's very good, I'd really like to see that on all animals. Drop a carcass, prepare.

Maybe certain fish can only be found at certain places (like saltwater, freshwater, cold water or hot water)

And some fish would be deeper underwater so that you need a longer line.

@JAG

Pure genious.

-snip-

Yes I was also thinking that sometimes fish would be so deep, that you would have to scuba dive or something along those lines to get them.

@the prep for all animals idea

Yes exactly. it would be much better. You could have to have large knives for skinning the animal to get leather, meat, etc.

You could also "customize" fishing rods or nets. nets would have to be used for bigger fish, while rods for smaller fish.

By customizing, I mean youcould have one "all round " rod, that could catch every thing, but not be very efficient at it, or you could have a selection of rods, each built for a specific type of fish or something likw that.

EDIT: Just changed the spelling of "rod" from round to rod.

Yes I was also thinking that sometimes fish would be so deep, that you would have to scuba dive or something along those lines to get them.

Unlikely I believe this is, my young padawan.

Maybe there could be redworking, the art of creating redstone mechanishms and machines. Add a difficult system for crafting redstonemachines, have torches get placed in their off state, and add redcurrent generators. Also, add a special way to craft said mechanisms that's also hard. (Kinda like using the anvil) IDK what else, just harder to craft the items and torches being normally off.

Maybe there could be redworking, the art of creating redstone mechanishms and machines. Add a difficult system for crafting redstonemachines, have torches get placed in their off state, and add redcurrent generators. Also, add a special way to craft said mechanisms that's also hard. (Kinda like using the anvil) IDK what else, just harder to craft the items and torches being normally off.

Idk dude, Redstone is honestly just fine as-is. Since it's pretty much its own programming language, efficient redstone use is already a 'trade' of sorts even on vanilla servers. I know that I used to be the local redstone 'techy' on a server I stayed at a while back, and I was wiping my ass with all the diamonds people were paying me just to build them well-hidden piston doors and portcullis gates that actually worked. The admins paid me particularly well to BUD-trap things regular players weren't supposed to touch

Idk dude, Redstone is honestly just fine as-is. Since it's pretty much its own programming language, efficient redstone use is already a 'trade' of sorts even on vanilla servers. I know that I used to be the local redstone 'techy' on a server I stayed at a while back, and I was wiping my ass with all the diamonds people were paying me just to build them well-hidden piston doors and portcullis gates that actually worked. The admins paid me particularly well to BUD-trap things regular players weren't supposed to touch

True, maybe there could be maybe a redstone tinkerer who creates redstone mechanisms as a trade.

And the redstone generator/off torch would make wood and [char]coal more valuable. It also would make willow farming more important.

So, a redworker and a redstone tinkerer, how's that?

So far, it looks like we have (for skill ideas) fishing, cartography and art(pixel art).

I am am +1 to the art, and +1 to fishing. However, I don't really know about the cartography, mainly, because I don't really know how it would. work. @JAG How exactly would cartography work; what would be the process of making a map?

Gem cutting could also be a viable trade/skill. I guess, you would need a gem-cutting table.(maybe) The regular chisel could be used. Right now, we have 5 levels of gem quality. If we use some of the ideas of gems being place-able in the world, the higher quality the gem, the lower the level of inclusions, and the higher clarity the gem has. The highest level of gem quality(Exquisite i believe) would actually sparkle and shine, be transparent, and have no inclusions. The sparkling and shining would be changeable in the graphics options.

The sparkle or shine would look somewhat like God Rays(idk what its called i think that's it though)

Here is an example(first post on the page):http://www.minecraft.../page__st__7820

The graphics options could be fast, fancy, dynamic, or off. Fast would have no anti-aliasing by default, and it would only be done with a couple passes. Fancy would have some refraction (bending/distortion of image through gem), would have some anti aliasing and have some more passes. Dynamic, would actually, use the refracted light, and use it to cast light on other things, and also have dynamic shadows. With dynamic, the gems would also have very high detail refraction and have realistic (i know i know calm down, i used the "R" word, i couldn't really think of another word) refraction based off of the gems real IOR.

The graphics abilities above are all hypothetical, and I have no idea if it is actually possible or not. The intensity of the shine/sparkle(and other gem related graphics options) could be edited in either the configs or the options menu.

Another aspect of gem cutting would be to actually "cut" it. In the gem-cutting table GUI, there could be different options such as Shave, Large Cut, Small Cut, Slice, Smooth, etc. to refine the shape of the gem. You could engineer the cut of the gem to make the reflection and refraction either really crappy, or really good. This would make it very hard to achieve a good (or amazing) looking gem.

Also, another graphics thing. Maybe the gems could have dynamic, gem cut models. What I mean is, a placed gem in the world could have a round brilliant cut, for example. IDK if this is really possible, but I saw the OBJ importer that Bioxx made a while back, but now it seems to have disappeared If Bioxx was able to make something like that, I;m sure you could model a low poly, (25-50 maybe? I don't know much about coding, and how much is ideal for things) gem in Blender, or something of the sort, and import it as a Wavefront OBJ. Again, I don't really know much about coding, so IDK how much of this is really possible in the limitations of minecraft.

For other aesthetic reasons, gems could also be put into blocks. So that you could have a diamond studded gold block, chiseled into a statue.(probably not the chiseled part though). When a gem is set into a block, the refraction is greatly decreased (obviously). You could also encrust swords and armor with gems. TO MAKE THEM LOOK COOLER

So wow this post went a lot longer than I expected. I just kept getting ideas as I typed.

EDIT: This is by far the longest post I've ever made.

Edited by Kimbblesrath

@JAG How exactly would cartography work; what would be the process of making a map?

Well, actually, in the exact same way painting would work, if i recall correctly: either by placing a feather, ink and paper in your inventory crafting grid (won't work in the crafting table), or by right clicking the scribing table, a GUI is opened. This GUI, in case it was opened by the grid, only contains the option to draw. You are drawing by hand in this case, you are prone to make mistakes, and it takes some time to go for an ink colour to other, and the nuisances just go on. In the scribing table GUI, there are two labels: one for actual scribing, and the other, for the drawing GUI. In this case you have no such annoyances, 'cause you are in a confortable and convenient area of work. For a painting, you can go directly to the scribing table and draw; for the map, you can either do that if you trust in your own abilities, or you can craft the map in the area you want to explore, and it will automatically draw, only with black ink, the general shapes of the area. The cartographer wannabe, then, edits the map by crafting it again or going to a scribing table, and adds the details he wishes to include in the map. If he ever wished to have a bigger map, he can craft two maps in the crafting grid to obtain a single map which will contain the details of both. However, it's order sensitive, so be careful not to place the south over the north. Maps -and painting- are also placeable, both in walls and floors or desks. A notable difference between TFC's and vanilla's map is that TFC's won't update constantly, and won't either show player's position.

The cartographer's work depends a lot on the player's abilities, both for observation of his environment, and for drawing. A good map will allows the user to locate himself in the map easily, which is after all why you want the map if you bought it. It could also include details that make two almost equal maps different: namely, a plain map of an area is nothing compared to the same map but with the natural resources marked.

-snip-

Ahh. That makes a lot more sense now. Thanks!

Well, I suggested harder Smithing and Stone Sculpting, and Wood Working in my origional post and in subsequent posts I suggested the notion of redstone tinkering (creating redstone mechanisms)

So so far we have:

Smithing

Sculpting

Wood Working

Redstone Tinkering

Cartography

Fishing

Redstone Working

Gem Cutting

Personally I don't think it is possible to make a professions system by making things harder, people are always going to be multi-taskers. The only way I can think of is to actually make them select a profession upon joining a server (maybe a menu screen appears upon initial spawn-in, and then they can only use items that are used in their profession, in addition to basic survival things like food. (I have seen this done with plug-ins before, but since we don't have bukkit it would have to be coded into tfc itself). This also allows for us to keep the mechanics in SMP and SSP the same, since it is not actually changing the difficulty of a mechanic, just restricting a player to a smaller number of items that only apply to their profession.

(also, I am confused as to what advancement has actually been made in this thread, it seems like you are just naming different things to do in TFC :/ )

^ That's pretty much what we're doing, naming and discussing ideas for trades. ^

So... this shouldn't then go to the discussion section? unless you are "suggesting" to add to the game the objects needed for such activities to be doable :

to trade all you need: a service to provide, a service you wish to receive, and the means to accomplish the given services.

In todays world that translates to

Something you want: Money to give, they have what you want, and the ability to give them money for it.

So... this shouldn't then go to the discussion section? unless you are "suggesting" to add to the game the objects needed for such activities to be doable :

What do you mean? Basically everything in here is a suggestion, not a discussion. We are not really discussing things already implemented; we are making suggestions as to what should be added/tweaked to make these professions more robust.

@ srg @ achartran

Wouldn't that make it really impossible to play in SSP? Unless you are suggesting that it would be different between SSp and SMP, but I think Bioxx has said that he wants the game to be identical in both SSP and SMP

@ srg

Wouldn't that make it really impossible to play in SSP? Unless you are suggesting that it would be different between SSp and SMP, but I think Bioxx has said that he wants the game to be identical in both SSP and SMP

... you sure you posted that in the correct thread? 'cause Srg(noodles) hasn't posted in this thread yet ._. ...

And, what i mean? well...

^ That's pretty much what we're doing, naming and discussing ideas for trades. ^

I was confused by this, i though we were only discussing this things... oh well, my bad.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0