Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deez

Torches should burn out

46 posts in this topic

As the title suggests, I believe trorches should burn out after a sum of time.

Personally, I would like that. It would be realistic, yes, but with the amount of torches being placed and used, micro-management of torch life would take up all of the player's time. Challenge is good, but the goal is still to have fun.

Yeah This is the first suggestion I have to disagree with and not because I want to but because of the monster spawning mechanic. It is tied directly to light which on one half of things is a really neat way to make the dark places universaly dangerous... but it is also tied to player's actions and survive-ability so tightly that removing torches as a permanent source of light is a huge upset to game balance. If the spawning system could be redone and some other way to mark an area as safe (I dunno, those fences I mentioned forming a closed shape means nothing can spawn within that area??) then by all means have at it.. as a night person I actually prefer the soft glow of redstone torches, but its the game mechanics that keep me using the normal ones :)

Yeah This is the first suggestion I have to disagree with and not because I want to but because of the monster spawning mechanic. It is tied directly to light which on one half of things is a really neat way to make the dark places universaly dangerous... but it is also tied to player's actions and survive-ability so tightly that removing torches as a permanent source of light is a huge upset to game balance. If the spawning system could be redone and some other way to mark an area as safe (I dunno, those fences I mentioned forming a closed shape means nothing can spawn within that area??) then by all means have at it.. as a night person I actually prefer the soft glow of redstone torches, but its the game mechanics that keep me using the normal ones :)

You raise some valid points that I wasn't thinking about just yet. I do have other drastic suggestions for mobs in the future though, like removing/replacing a lot of them. I feel this mod is trying to be more realistic but skeletons and zombies aren't very real to me. Personally I'd rather be fighting off things like bears and wolves.

mobs specific to their proper biomes too. i'd like to mention campfires warding off mobs too

I have seen a goblin or orc thingy in the IRC channel.. and I believe (do not want to put words in his mouth) that Bioxx has mentioned that mob changes are indeed intended :) However, we should keep our mob talk for another thread.. I just ... Id like torches to be better but they are tied to that other system quite tightly right now.

I think it'd be interesting to have torches eventually burn out, but for the sake of not wanting to micromanage allll my torches once I've made multiple routes between different mines, I think we should still have a source of permanent light somewhere down the road. Maybe make glowstone dust acquireable around the copper or bronze age? I mean, we have cinnebar that essentially gives us redstone almsot immediately. Found a large deposit of it immediately next to my spawn area once.

i presonally think that the torches being burned out or even going out is an extremely viable option, it does make it harder, which i like, but also it would only be a viable option if ther ewas the promise of different light sources. there is something about not being completely safe and getting lost cause they just happened to go out that i like. realistic in my opinion, also relight able with flint and steel/firestarter XD

I recall someone mentioning somewhere about the implementation of oil in the future. Oil lamps during the bronze age would seem perfectly feasable. You could probably make 2 - 3 lamps from a single ingot and when placed it gets filled with oil which could burn for 4-8 full days, maybe longer?

i presonally think that the torches being burned out or even going out is an extremely viable option, it does make it harder, which i like, but also it would only be a viable option if ther ewas the promise of different light sources. there is something about not being completely safe and getting lost cause they just happened to go out that i like. realistic in my opinion, also relight able with flint and steel/firestarter XD

My take with this though is that if I build a house, and shut the door and walk away.. things should not spawn in there. The only way I can get that to happen is with a torch. Its that tie together that I think needs to be cut some how in order to not make this such a detrimental.. Its not you just can not see its that no place is ever safe.. I am just not sure that is a good point to the game.. May just be me but that is the entire point of the game I guess. Can I carve out an area in this world that I am in control of... most of the time :D

My take with this though is that if I build a house, and shut the door and walk away.. things should not spawn in there. The only way I can get that to happen is with a torch. Its that tie together that I think needs to be cut some how in order to not make this such a detrimental.. Its not you just can not see its that no place is ever safe.. I am just not sure that is a good point to the game.. May just be me but that is the entire point of the game I guess. Can I carve out an area in this world that I am in control of... most of the time :D

very true, that could also be bad if you sleep and it goes out, wake up, y hello creeper. thats y it would be a good idea to have a burning fire in your house, puts some logs in, and sleep/leave, come back its lit. but yeah thats a problem. i still like the idea, but if there was a way to change the spawns or quickly upgrade to the other lamps or something. i do see the issue tho

maybe torches can burn out, but the area that would be lit still prevent hostile spawns...so you would have to relight, but still dont get mobs in your house.

OR perhaps we can craft solar powered lights that gain energy during the day and burn all night.

Ok, let's try it from a different angle... how about unprotected torches have a chance to burn out?

For unprotected I mean things like torches too close to water, with no solid blocks arround from a certain height up ( the higher, the stronger the wind is), under the rain... things like that. Your torches keep burning out? Give them some protection.

Ok, let's try it from a different angle... how about unprotected torches have a chance to burn out?

For unprotected I mean things like torches too close to water, with no solid blocks arround from a certain height up ( the higher, the stronger the wind is), under the rain... things like that. Your torches keep burning out? Give them some protection.

That is quiet a good idea and the torches shouldn't burn out in doors

That is quiet a good idea and the torches shouldn't burn out in doors

As soon as you can tell 'In doors' vs 'Out doors' you have removed the need for torches to control spawning really :) So solve that problem and we would not have to have this half-way compromise.

As soon as you can tell 'In doors' vs 'Out doors' you have removed the need for torches to control spawning really :) So solve that problem and we would not have to have this half-way compromise.

Ment to say torches dont burn out -> In Doors but they do -> Out doors...

And why should the torch spawn control should change, anyway?

I mean, what's the point, making torches unnecesary on the surface, or making it not enough underground?

Because if what we look for is the second, it's as simple as to link the light level needed for safety to altitude (more depth implying more light is needed). Moonlight would be enough to prevent spawn on surface, and a full room of torches wouldn't prevent it on bedrock level.

I'm trying to picture this in multiplayer, and I don't see it ever working out well. You log off to go sleep/eat/work/whatever and by the time you get back your entire house is pitch black and monster breeding grounds. Unless everyone who plays on the server logs in and logs out at the same time the server starts and stops, someone's house is going dark. And if someone suggests people running around lighting other player's houses, are you volunteering to keep several lit at all times the server is running? You would have that much less time to actually enjoy playing TFC. That sounds more like a task you would use to punish someone.

No you just make certain kinds of torches harder to make that stay lit, and torches that are outside in the rain just plain dont stay lit.

The way the mod looks, its almost like you can add classes of torches to the game and then set their lighting times.

Not sure why people aren't connecting the dots on this.

I just don't want to see highways of torches constantly lit that are all over the place outside.

I feel to get a good balance for the duration though, the chance of a torch going out should be fairly slim (unless it's raining) That might make it more pleasant for players that don't want the hardcore TFC experience lol. Maybe the game's difficulty setting could be what determines how torches are affected.

I just don't want to see highways of torches constantly lit that are all over the place outside.

Straight thuggin'.

Hopefully by now you people now what I'm thinking realism is a guideline and a constraint we should move beyond that I think that we should either make it harder to make torches (oil or something along those lines) or I suppose they could stay where their at (creation wise) and burn out but their has to I repeat has to be a way for an eternal light source I believe the minecraft team was arguing the same thing and they came up with the idea of redstone lamps, this is what they are for. Also on a side note when the team discussed that they also thought about handheld light sources, this would be awesome.

Hopefully by now you people now what I'm thinking realism is a guideline and a constraint we should move beyond that I think that we should either make it harder to make torches (oil or something along those lines) or I suppose they could stay where their at (creation wise) and burn out but their has to I repeat has to be a way for an eternal light source I believe the minecraft team was arguing the same thing and they came up with the idea of redstone lamps, this is what they are for. Also on a side note when the team discussed that they also thought about handheld light sources, this would be awesome.

Exactly, something a bit more rare than sticks, the redstone recipe can be changed im sure along with the name of it, rare enough that we dont see thousands of them outside, just enough to use around your village, etc.

Torches could even have different recipes for different classes they stay lit longer, or what have you.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0