Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Kimbblesrath

Cubic Chunks in TFC

What do you think?   74 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cubic Chunks be implemented into TFC?

• EFF YEAH!!
    • Yeah!
    • I think so.
    • Meh.
    • No.
    • NO!
  2. 2. If you think it should be implemented, how many block high should it be? (bedrock to sky top)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

157 posts in this topic

There is plenty of guys who have started a derailment and didn't got a warming (like me, or you right now), why would he get one?

Video

How cool is that? With this you can make an unlimited mine, as big as you want.

wait, you're CANADIAN?

welcome to the group, you make 3, (as far as I can tell)

Make that 4 LOL. And AMAZING vid ^^^^

This is why I want CC to implemented into TFC like nothing else. Lighting revamp, meh it was just an aesthetic suggestion. I sometimes just pour out content ideas in my head, even if I suspect the community wont like it.

So much has changed since 1.0.0... =/

There is plenty of guys who have started a derailment and didn't got a warming (like me, or you right now), why would he get one?

On topic: thats awesome but its gonna take a long time to be implemented and i would not be surprised if someone's been working on something like this for minecraft's new versions hell someone should be working on this its amazing and the code its opensource so it did not have to start from scratch right?

yes i derailed a thread that as already derailed...

i am EVIL

*e continua*

JAG you shouldn't like that... Well, not in this topic at least... They've changed how chunks are saved and I'm trying to figure out how to adapt the code. I have four eclipse running just to compare each other.

On topic: thats awesome but its gonna take a long time to be implemented and i would not be surprised if someone's been working on something like this for minecraft's new versions hell someone should be working on this its amazing and the code its opensource so it did not have to start from scratch right?

I am looking into that

*e continua*

JAG you shouldn't like that... Well, not in this topic at least... They've changed how chunks are saved and I'm trying to figure out how to adapt the code. I have four eclipse running just to compare each other.

I am looking into that

already told you its not polite to post things in a language other than the one of the forums, now its good you are looking into it i wish i had the programing knowledge to do things like that and help the comunity!

the problem is its very hard to come by a good place to learn programing here where i live...

cheers...

Jack, Minecraft is actually a pretty good way to be introduced to programming. Pick up MCP and JDK and just poke around. As far as they go, Java is a pretty easy language to learn and it makes understanding OOP easier than other introductory languages. I've been programming since I was a little kid, but I am guiding a few friends through learning using this approach and it's going well.

Now go watch what this mod can truly do, epic music included.

Jack, Minecraft is actually a pretty good way to be introduced to programming. Pick up MCP and JDK and just poke around. As far as they go, Java is a pretty easy language to learn and it makes understanding OOP easier than other introductory languages. I've been programming since I was a little kid, but I am guiding a few friends through learning using this approach and it's going well.

True that.

If anyone wants to help with this is more than welcomed, but be sure that you'll need to know java.

bsb, with this music ANYTHING is epic, put it when you go pee and you'll pee the blood and tears of your enemies.

So I mentioned this before in a different thread a few months ago.

Spout promises to have cubic chunks with unlimited depth and height possibilities. It is also multicore enabled at its core.

Spout isn't minecraft really anymore, but a voxel engine that you will be able to run a recoded version of minecraft on. OR, and this is the neat part, write your own game to run in.

So for instance instead of TFC being an extension of minecraft it could just be its own thing that runs with its own addons and such.

If cubic chunks are being strongly considered it is my opinion that spout would be the direction to go in.

So I mentioned this before in a different thread a few months ago.

Spout promises to have cubic chunks with unlimited depth and height possibilities. It is also multicore enabled at its core.

Spout isn't minecraft really anymore, but a voxel engine that you will be able to run a recoded version of minecraft on. OR, and this is the neat part, write your own game to run in.

So for instance instead of TFC being an extension of minecraft it could just be its own thing that runs with its own addons and such.

If cubic chunks are being strongly considered it is my opinion that spout would be the direction to go in.

Men... I give up... They've done a great job! There is NO way to top that! It is cubic and 'infinite' world. Plus it adjust itself to vanilla minecraft so that even if you don't have that and join a Spout server, the world will be 'infinite'... They are great coders and make all their code open source and help whoever wants to add to it.

From one of the creators "You can't steal ideas - there is no such thing as an original idea."

The link for the conversation between Robinton and the spout team http://forums.spout.org/threads/cubic-chunks.1178/page-2

What if we added a option in the world gen GUI in which you could pick what the world height would be?

What if we added a option in the world gen GUI in which you could pick what the world height would be?

or the config... that would work too, and would be more inline with the rest of things. Like the number of days in a year for example.

or the config... that would work too, and would be more inline with the rest of things. Like the number of days in a year for example.

That wouldn't work because of the vanilla world gen and how it stores cubes. Currently, as far as I know, TFC uses the full anvil format, which allows up to 256 blocks in height and thats it, more than that screws up the whole world gen and lags. The only feasible way to change this is to change how chunks are stored.

That wouldn't work because of the vanilla world gen and how it stores cubes. Currently, as far as I know, TFC uses the full anvil format, which allows up to 256 blocks in height and thats it, more than that screws up the whole world gen and lags. The only feasible way to change this is to change how chunks are stored.

Wouldn't changing how chunks are stored come with Cubic Chunks? I am pretty sure Linker was referring to the cubic chunks, not right now.

Wouldn't changing how chunks are stored come with Cubic Chunks? I am pretty sure Linker was referring to the cubic chunks, not right now.

Do we have Cubic chunks yet? Hold your horses... It is pretty far away...

Do we have Cubic chunks yet? Hold your horses... It is pretty far away...

You like saying hold your horses, don't you? It's not like i'm going crazy or anything like that, so there is really no need to say "hold your horses"; i am simply stating something. And also, I assumed Linker was talking about Cubic Chunks as it is the topic of the thread.

You like saying hold your horses, don't you? It's not like i'm going crazy or anything like that, so there is really no need to say "hold your horses"; i am simply stating something. And also, I assumed Linker was talking about Cubic Chunks as it is the topic of the thread.

Because I am going like crazy trying to make this happen... Maybe it went for myself, I like those ideas, and I would like to implement them.

Because I am going like crazy trying to make this happen... Maybe it went for myself, I like those ideas, and I would like to implement them.

Ahh Ok then. Hope you finish soon (in the next 2 months)

I would like to give a kind of update and ask you guys somethings.

First of all, cubic chunks changes most of the current engine, how it is the chunks are rendered, saved and sent to clients. There are about 80 classes that would need to be changed, core functions. TFC has 454 classes, many of them are extensions from one of the classes that need to be changed.

Second, Forge. Forge has many classes dependant of those classes that could be changed. Modloader classes.

So... nasty...

How can one change that much?

One way is to extend the Core of minecraft and make a completly different engine for handling chunks that will be like minecraft but not minecraft... Pratically it will just use the main window to open the game from the moment you choose to play with CC it will be a different game.

The other one that is way simpler is to chage every class that needs to be changed, overwrite it all, then you can forget about any compatibility.

So I have to ask, is minecraft that worthy? I mean... It won't be minecraft anymore... You may even start making a new game from there.

I've been seriously wondering, is there going to be a point with TFC where Minecraft's potential has been exhausted, or it would be more efficient to design something new? Minecraft seems more capable than I'd originally thought, but even so, I've a feeling some point it will seem silly to keep modding off Minecraft, Some point enough code will have been written to get around minecraft that it may have been it's own game.

Really there are a few options.

1 is dismiss cubic chunks in tfc to maintain compatability with everything the simple way.

2 is write the cubic chunks extensions and changes on top of forge with a specific forge build required every time you update the mod this would have to be done. This would make tfc a jar mod again and maintain an average compatability level with forge mod folder based mods.

3 is sepperate tfc from minecraft and write a new engine for it makeing it its own entity. This would honestly take a solid team a year or more to do right.

4 is when spout is complete write tfc to exsist on spout, in much the same manner as 3 except for spout is the engine and will have cubic chunks already in it. This option is the best way to include cubic chunks in tfc, it would however make it incompatable with all mods not written with spouts api. Spout is probable several months from being a viable working platform however.

So anyhow there may be other options available but those are the ones I can think up.

Really there are a few options.

1 is dismiss cubic chunks in tfc to maintain compatability with everything the simple way.

2 is write the cubic chunks extensions and changes on top of forge with a specific forge build required every time you update the mod this would have to be done. This would make tfc a jar mod again and maintain an average compatability level with forge mod folder based mods.

3 is sepperate tfc from minecraft and write a new engine for it makeing it its own entity. This would honestly take a solid team a year or more to do right.

4 is when spout is complete write tfc to exsist on spout, in much the same manner as 3 except for spout is the engine and will have cubic chunks already in it. This option is the best way to include cubic chunks in tfc, it would however make it incompatable with all mods not written with spouts api. Spout is probable several months from being a viable working platform however.

So anyhow there may be other options available but those are the ones I can think up.

This Guy(Gal) knows it!

I didn't want to make it like choose you option and vote on it because there is a lot to consider, and because I want to hear additional suggestions. But you pretty much covered my thoughts, although I don't think it would take that much to have a first release of opt 3, but yeah to be sure and have a stable, with all features, would be around that long.

About opt 2, just the cubic chunks would be jar mod, like an api. TFC would be still on the mod folder.