Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sting_Auer

The Official Help Dunk With His Homework Thread [Drink cactus juice! It'll quench ya!]

110 posts in this topic

*nitpicks a bit, then talks about how that tiny change is having a profound social influence*

It is proper use in "...argue about..." and as a verb but it is intransitive, implying two or more clashing opinions in a state of argument (n)*. Ex. "Those two argue about the zombies in their backyard all the time." So for a paper to 'argue about' something... it would imply the paper is itself in a state of argument - which is a bit nonsensical, but also humorous to try to imagine. In academics, the intransitive use is uncommon as 'argue' itself is rarely referring to a disagreement, but to the articulation of a position.

It's an interesting example of where lay-language compacts (or decomplexifies) two distinct meanings into a single word - often rendering another word redundant (disagreement, in this case) - and creating an ambiguity which would not ordinarily exist. This decomplexification subsequently leads to structural misunderstandings of some discourse - academic discourse, in this case. That is, people outside academics or who have not experienced academia are prone to misunderstand the process of academic discussion as a disagreement of an emotional nature, rather than as a series of discussion points.

At present in english-speaking culture, this has reached the point that any articulation of an opinion is frequently perceived in the public sphere as a proposal for such an emotionally-based argument. This is having a pretty profoundly destructive effect on our capacity to listen to each other and reach objective conclusions about important matters. Witness the recent political debates in the US.

that is true.

essays over, so no need to worry for a bit :)

And the pressure lifts...

I can't wait to feel that when my thesis is done :/

Sorry, but why is this pinned in the discussion topic? Isn't this supposed to be on the off-topic?

Sorry, but why is this pinned in the discussion topic? Isn't this supposed to be on the off-topic?

It used to be in Discussion and was relevant, but the topic got changed and pinned and I guess Dunk just didn't realized. Either that or Dunk puts it here to get more attention for it.

I pinned it because it was helpful in my studies and I don't want to lose it before my next project.

As you can see, my ego has become swollen under all your flattery. I have become corrupt.

Oh well...

I pinned it because it was helpful in my studies and I don't want to lose it before my next project.

As you can see, my ego has become swollen under all your flattery. I have become corrupt.

Oh well...

With great power comes great egos.

So... Does Dunk need any more help with his homework? :

If not, can i get help with mine? i mean, as this thread is already pinned but not closed...

I have an exam next tuesday, a REALLY hard one. It's my last chance to pass chemistry this year, so it's kind of important. (if you wonder why i have been a little unactive today, this is the why).

Anyone can link me to any good page about metallurgy? How the metals are separated from the minerals, what reactions make those methods work, what are the principal uses for each metal... that kind of stuff.

Or, if you don't feel like searching about metallurgy, you could also help me with the OTHER theme of that exam: DNA. Structure, location, how it functions, mutations... and so on.

I will be studying by myself anyways, but i just thought "if i can get someone to help me find good info, why the hell not?".

Thank you all in advance :)

Thanks for the help, but it's, around, 5-6 days late... I passed the test regardless, so don't worry :3

Aaaand this is why I should check the post date before replying!

Yeah, and welcome back, Firestorm13.

Well i'm too late for your test, but have some interesting links...

http://io9.com/genetic-engineering/ -> news about genetic breakthroughs

http://fold.it/portal/info/science -> a game about protein folding...could even earn a Nobel Prize with this one :)

http://blog.makezine.com/2008/01/07/programming-dna-video-a-2/ -> about DNA hacking

http://www.ensembl.org/index.html -> Genome Browser

https://www.23andme.com/howitworks/ -> Genotyping ... i thing Google is behind this

http://openpcr.org/ -> Open source PCR Machine ... i started to build this one, it's about 50% done

just a few links that i find very interesting...

History, the most difficult subject to study, apart physics.

Study all the dates, imagine something like a film of what happens while you read. Connect what you read with something you're thinking. I use this type of things when I need to study about 60 pages.

History is hard for me but physics are just to simple for me !

History is hard for me but physics are just to simple for me !

Agreed.

I never had a problem with physics though

Damn, I am the only one that has problems with physics...I have a really bad teacher.

physics is all about learning the formula needed for the questions, and knowing what the formula means :D

as for history, i can probably school yall on the hundred years war but not much else beyond the obligatory world wars and some dutch history ;)

(for a dutch person i can however school other dutch people in English, which i am doing as a side-job :3 )

physics is all about learning the formula needed for the questions, and knowing what the formula means :D

as for history, i can probably school yall on the hundred years war but not much else beyond the obligatory world wars and some dutch history ;)

(for a dutch person i can however school other dutch people in English, which i am doing as a side-job :3 )

It's nearly impossible to tell you're not a native english speaker at times

well, besides my typing, my main advantage lies in my pronouncation, which is equal to my typing, and thats a very rare thing in the Netherlands (at my age at least, and far beyond it, the accent comes in, whereas i can randomly fit a british/american/australian accent onto it (the natives from those country cant decide where i'm from, muricans call me british, british call me murican, and australians call me australian XD)

all these people helping dunk with his homework but are any of you guys really doing your own? XD

all these people helping dunk with his homework but are any of you guys really doing your own? XD

Of course not XD

Also, physics is evil. Case closed.

EDIT

WOOT! Two month late post!

so... you posted that just to brag?

anyway, I have another history assignment due at 10 am tomorrow, it is now 11:48 pm, and I just remembered it

5% of final.

REALLY on the ball here, aren't I?

Let me know how I can help.

for starters i imagine you will need to invent and create a functioning time machine.

It's nearly impossible to tell you're not a native english speaker at times
well, besides my typing, my main advantage lies in my pronouncation, which is equal to my typing, and thats a very rare thing in the Netherlands (at my age at least, and far beyond it, the accent comes in, whereas i can randomly fit a british/american/australian accent onto it (the natives from those country cant decide where i'm from, muricans call me british, british call me murican, and australians call me australian XD)
You dutch are amasing. When i went over there to see some people i couldn't believe at the rate and amount of languages that the kids in schools were learning. But i guess that comes naturally, as you guys are the (traders of old time) and must know a lot of languges to be able to communicate with all your people..