Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Linker190

If you could go back in time and stop any event from happening what would you do?

99 posts in this topic

not even in the off topic forums? what are they afraid of?

not even in the off topic forums? what are they afraid of?

IDK but that's what he said.

IDK but that's what he said.

Again, why the first thing my mind decides to do is to read this out of context? ._:

I would kill the person who said you can't where shoes indoors. Seriously, fuck dat shit, my kicks are with me everywhere I go.

I would kill the person who said you can't where shoes indoors. Seriously, fuck dat shit, my kicks are with me everywhere I go.

JAG* and 127.817.277 japaneses don't like this.

*nothing makes me feel more free than feeling the floor i'm stepping on myself does

I think the world would be a very different and more interesting place if the library of Alexandria had not been destroyed.

I would go back and stop justin bieber from being born

:D

I would go back and stop justin bieber from being born

:D

A round of applause for this man!

He wasn't born, but genetically designed by the Disney Company's cientists so his voice would attract minor females and drive their parents into a buying spree specificially targeted to Disney products with his face.

(?)

The truth about Bieber?

Ok then, LOL.

I would stop Justin Bieber from being genetically designed by the Disney Company's scientists so his voice would attract minor females and drive their parents into a buying spree specificially targeted to Disney products with his face.

Somehow stop the Roman Empire from collapsing. WORLD EMPIRE, MuAHAHAHHAHAHhahAHhAhAHAHahHAHAhAHHAhAhhhAHhAHAHhAhAHAHHAHAHAHAAAA

Apparently someone already went back in time and avoided some posts of this thread from being posted... lol

Apparently someone already went back in time and avoided some posts of this thread from being posted... lol

Conspiracy theorist!!! :P

Conspiracy theorist!!! :P

Theorist you say? ha, they will surely get you first. Unless they sended you to confuse me and... GOD DAMNIT, SOMEONE STOLE MY SANDWICH! I KNEW IT! D:

Time travel is something very familiar to us all. Its in nearly every major science fiction genre, spoken of throughout fantasy, and lay in a surprisingly large number of anime, games, and more. However, time travel is often put into a more fantastical role then possible. Time travel does not allow you to change things you know about. You physically cant kill or change Zero Percentile events or people. You can change or kill X Percentile events and people. Let me explain. Theoretically, I would want to go back in time and kill Hitler before he caused everything he did. Now, killing him is an informed decision based on my knowledge of him. I dislike this man because of my knowledge of him. My decision is based on the information I know. Because of my knowledge, I can not change it. If by some means I were to change it, my reason for changing the event no longer exists and therefore is a time and space impossibility within the exiting time frame. However, theoretically, I can also cause myself to kill him without removing my choice to do so. How? Simply put, I use my knowledge of how I work to control how I think. If I were to travel back and place my self in a position where my precognitive abilities are forced into constant use, I could predict what Hitler would do once he got office and make the decision based on that current timeline. This however leaves the issue of me making the decision to travel in time. By killing Hitler off, I have removed my wish for travel. as my past-future self is a time traveler whose exposed myself to a heightened sense of perception, I could overcome this by forcing my present self into a precognitive state where I make the decision to travel to the same point.

so, whats the difference between two events that are the same? Everything. Zero Percentile events are determined by informed decisions. By basing my choice over the event I wish to altar, I have doomed my choice to never being able to be fulfilled. However in an X Percentile event, I have based my decisions off of my uninformed mind and set up a safe time loop where I will always make the same decision based off of my own decision. Its simple, though expectantly it is a pain to successfully do.

so, what would I change in history to suit myself now? I would go back 30 years to November 30th 1982 and give my father the following note:

In 10 years everything will change. You'll have to work harder then ever, and come home later. You'll do the dishes every other night, and fall asleep just to be woken up an hour later. your life is going to change in 10 years and though right now you dont like how it sounds now, you will like it later. In 10 years you will look at this differently and cherish almost every moment. I am leaving this note with you in hopes that you wont throw it away. In 10 years from this very day, I want you to yell push. I don't ever want you to ever stop saying that. When you feel the time is right, give this note to someone close to you, tell them to write another. Then tell them to keep pushing ahead.

*** II

In 10 years everything will change. You'll have to work harder then ever, and come home later. You'll do the dishes every other night, and fall asleep just to be woken up an hour later. your life is going to change in 10 years and though right now you dont like how it sounds now, you will like it later. In 10 years you will look at this differently and cherish almost every moment. I am leaving this note with you in hopes that you wont throw it away. In 10 years from this very day, I want you to yell push. I don't ever want you to ever stop saying that. When you feel the time is right, give this note to someone close to you, tell them to write another. Then tell them to keep pushing ahead.

*** II

So, you would make the first chain mail in history?

From what i know, time travel and inter dimensional travel aren't any diferent; you are not returning the entire universe but you to a previous point in the past, just transporting yourself to a parallel universe which matchs, in that moment, with that previous point in the past you are trying to reach. Therefore, paradoxs aren't possible; you are changing that universe, and only that universe, so going back to where you belong would take you to your original universe, which has not changed at all except the time you spent in that other universe would have passed in your original one as well. However, considering the infinity of universes, this renders the need to travel to observe the consecuence unnecesary, as you can search and find an universe in which the change was already made, and it's timeline matchs the one of your universe (other than that man made change). In short... you could travel to a "present" in which Hitler didn't ever reach any power, to the future of that "present" and to it's past freely, it wouldn't modify your own universe, nor any other.

chain mail? no no, I would force myself to be pushed ahead in life, become better. then insure that my note gets to me. I insure the past will happen by making sure the future happens.

Time is equivalent to speed.The faster you go, the slower time moves. Eventually, at the exact speed of light time stops. Theoretically, one could travel back in time by surpassing SoL. By accomplishing that, it allows the user of such tech to step into that thread of existences past. Essentially time travel is entirely possible and is different from time-dimensional travel. Dimensional travel is theoretically linked to gravitational-magnetic objects of super-massive proportions(BH)

Time travel is something very familiar to us all. Its in nearly every major science fiction genre, spoken of throughout fantasy, and lay in a surprisingly large number of anime, games, and more. However, time travel is often put into a more fantastical role then possible. Time travel does not allow you to change things you know about.

The thread is of course fantastical in nature, but even if we are to discuss the realism of time travel, this isn't really necessarily the case. What you're talking about there is Novikov's principle of self-consistency, but that principle was itself hypothetical and made certain assumptions that we don't have solid evidence on - namely that there exists only one time line. J-A-G notes another model where causality is preserved.

The real big issue in practical terms is the 'where'. We tend to talk of time travel as going from one time to another, but space and time are not separable. If you are going somewhere else in time, you're going somewhere else in space too. This is quite critical because although we tend to think of the earth in fixed terms, it of course is moving very very quickly in other frames of reference. Any time-travelling solution involving matter needs to account for this.

Time is equivalent to speed.The faster you go, the slower time moves. Eventually, at the exact speed of light time stops. Theoretically, one could travel back in time by surpassing SoL. By accomplishing that, it allows the user of such tech to step into that thread of existences past. Essentially time travel is entirely possible and is different from time-dimensional travel. Dimensional travel is theoretically linked to gravitational-magnetic objects of super-massive proportions(BH)

The problem with that particular model of time travel is that it makes a frame of reference mistake. Even if we figure out how to linearly surpass the speed of light, it doesn't mean that time is stopped, it only means that our time is stopped. As we 'slow back down' to our initial reference frame, we'll have passed the light that appeared to be from the past. If we had our trip all planned out to correctly account for the motions of earth and such, we would come back to rest at empty space in the initial time frame.

This must be the case otherwise light itself is constantly violating causality, which we're pretty sure it isn't.

The real big issue in practical terms is the 'where'. We tend to talk of time travel as going from one time to another, but space and time are not separable. If you are going somewhere else in time, you're going somewhere else in space too. This is quite critical because although we tend to think of the earth in fixed terms, it of course is moving very very quickly in other frames of reference. Any time-travelling solution involving matter needs to account for this.

Every posibility exists in a separate universe. Let's then take universes A and B, which are almost exactly equal, except for a extremely small difference (let's say, the angle of Andromeda's galaxy from the center of the universe is 0º0º0,0000000000000...1º highest in B than it is in A). If the first statement is correct, then there is an universe C which is equal to B except for a equally small difference (0º0º0,0000000000000...2º in C). As well as an universe D which is equal to C, except for the exact same difference. And so on. What's the point of this? As every single possibility exists, if a time traveller had the most avanced possible device to travel, it would be capable to find and go to an universe with the desired time and position, as long as it is possible for this combination to exist. For every point in time, there is infinite possibilities for the space to be organized; for every point in space, infinite posibilities for the time to be organized.

Sorrily, there is no way to surpass the SoL, known to science at least. Yes, there is a theory that would allow objects to travel faster than light, but the object is not moving in this process, the space around it is; it has no speed. Ignoring this fact, yes, time travel and dimensional travel are different; however, you can't say DT has no advantages over TT.

1) Even when traveling to a past-like universe is possible, time paradoxes can't occur due to a DT, as you are modifying the present of that universe, not it's past. Meanwhile, in TT, paradoxs can occur as there is already a stablished future for that universe which leads to your presence there, and anything that could stop you from travelling in the first place will create an unstable loop.

2) With DT, you can travel to universes which represent the possible futures of your own universe, and even provoke events in your own universe to lead it to one of those possible futures. Meanwhile, in TT, traveling to the future requires making the user go into an static state to wait until the desired date, which will only take him to one possible future, and his presence in this static state will affect the posible outcomes (most of the times, he won't be coming back to the time he was originally in, even if he doesn't starts a paradox while in this state)*

*Here i ignored the possibility of applying backwards what ECC said, and travelling at negative speeds for the time to move faster, as it is impossible to do so from what i know.

Oh, and the chain mail thing: it's was just a joke, i got what you meant, but the line "When you feel the time is right, give this note to someone close to you, tell them to write another," just felt like it was from a chain mail... :P

Every posibility exists in a separate universe. Let's then take universes A and B, which are almost exactly equal, except for a...

That's still hypothetical. We have no evidence there is more than one universe. It's all science fiction until we have some evidence. So saying that this is how time travel will occur is also hypothetical. It's also potentially much more difficult to travel great distances than it is to go back in time.

However we do actually have negative evidence of a sort against this possibility. As you point out, the many-universes idea means that if time travel is possible, individuals from the future would have little to no fear in moving back in time because paradoxes wouldn't occur. If this were the case, where are the time travellers? We probably would have seen them by now. This has been the most dramatic century so far in human history - and in the earth's history. We're just about to destroy most of the world's remaining ecosystems. Wouldn't someone have come back to keep this from occurring? Or at least mitigate it? Especially when stoppinng that destruction would have been as simple as dropping in a new technology - potentially only need to talk to one single person (a well-funded scientist, for example).

well, my girlfriend left me this week, so I would probably go back and change what i did that drove her away.

That's still hypothetical. We have no evidence there is more than one universe. It's all science fiction until we have some evidence. So saying that this is how time travel will occur is also hypothetical. It's also potentially much more difficult to travel great distances than it is to go back in time.

However we do actually have negative evidence of a sort against this possibility. As you point out, the many-universes idea means that if time travel is possible, individuals from the future would have little to no fear in moving back in time because paradoxes wouldn't occur. If this were the case, where are the time travellers? We probably would have seen them by now. This has been the most dramatic century so far in human history - and in the earth's history. We're just about to destroy most of the world's remaining ecosystems. Wouldn't someone have come back to keep this from occurring? Or at least mitigate it? Especially when stoppinng that destruction would have been as simple as dropping in a new technology - potentially only need to talk to one single person (a well-funded scientist, for example).

Well, yeah, here most of what we are talking about is just hypothetical, science fiction stuff. I honestly think what i'm saying is true, but it is also true that i have no evidence to support it. I'm not really talking about "This is the way we will travel in time in the close future", but "This is the way we will travel in time in around 2000 years". I mean... how can you enter another universe, suposing other universes exist? The only way i can think of is creating a worm hole between the point where you are and the destination in the other universe, and that sounds extremely hard nearly impossible to do, at least in a safe enough way (what if the worn hole breaks apart when you are still traveling?). So yeah, comparing the required tecnology, i honestly think we will be able to travel faster than light before we are able to travel from an universe to other.

About the future time travelers haven't visited us thing, i honestly didn't thought about it. Form the top of my head, i can say there are some possibilities...

1) A good number of the future universe which's humans can travel to other universes won't have came here because they don't give a f+ck. Yeah, terrible things are happening here. But those terrible things don't really affect them, in any way. Any change in our universe does not affect theirs; so, why would they care about it? they have got their own universe to take care of.

2) What's more, supposing they come from an universe with the same exact time line as ours, historians wouldn't waste their chance to record what exactly happened in our time; studying their own time line in another universe which shares it is a possibility they can't ignore if they wanna keep a correct register of every single history event.

3) Another possibility is that something in our future (not necesarily near future) seems more important for them than the actual problems; this would lead another good part of the possible interdimensional helpers to help universes with a more advanced time line than ours.

4) They may be helping us constantly, not only now; but trying to hide from any possible detection, as that will (to their knowledge) affect our future in a diferent way than they want to.

5) There could be more universes that share the actual problem we have than universes able (and willing) to help them. Even when both quantities are infinite, there exist infinites bigger than others (There are more Real numbers than Rational numbers, even though there is infinite quantities of both)

6) The final, and saddest possibility i can think of, is that inter dimensional travel is not a possibility; therefore, they won't be coming here ever as they can't.

well, my girlfriend left me this week, so I would probably go back and change what i did that drove her away.

: Sorry to hear that...

You need to be strong. It's not easy. Remember that in the world there are 7 billions people and lots of other girlfriends. This is the only thing that I know to lift the morale. And most of the times it works.

You need to be strong. It's not easy. Remember that in the world there are 7 billions people and lots of other girlfriends. This is the only thing that I know to lift the morale. And most of the times it works.

thanks. We were together since july 19th, 2010, and since then we became so close. She's met all of my family, and I've met hers. We used to talk and laugh for hours everyday. She knows more about me than most of my family does. It's hard to lose someone like that, because it's not just a lover you've lost, it's your best friend.

EDIT: just talked to her, and it seems that she's just under a lot of stress with her classes atm. We agreed that for now we'll be friends, but we're going to start our relationship over after christmas.

Just talked to her, and it seems that she's just under a lot of stress with her classes atm. We agreed that for now we'll be friends, but we're going to start our relationship over after christmas.

This makes everyone happier. However compliments because it's hard to remain friends after this. Many people don't do this.