Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
infinity46

Easier way of making charcoal?

45 posts in this topic

Do you think he will ever add an easier way to make charcoal once you have access to later tier metals ect? Its a pain to gather all the wood sometimes and it would seem there would be a more "realistic way" once you acquire late tier metals.

Do you think he will ever add an easier way to make charcoal once you have access to later tier metals ect? Its a pain to gather all the wood sometimes and it would seem there would be a more "realistic way" once you acquire late tier metals.

Really? what way?

Welcome to the forums.

1.) NEVER use the R-word (realistic, realism, etc.)

2.) TFC is based on believability, not realism

3.) Really?! Why do we need an easier way to get charcoal?! The way we have works fine, and gives it in large amounts if done properly.

4.) Seriously, why would a new mechanic to make something easier, when this mod is supposed to add challenge to the game.

5.) In TFC you need to work for your resources, they are not just handed to you.

6.) Leo has a good point, I challenge you to come up with a better system for charcoal. Not to just ask for one to be created simply because you thought it might be a good idea.

(Did I miss anything?)

Oh, and...

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!

Maybe you could use some type of forge to create charcoal by putting lots of wood in and collecting it afterwords, I'm saying it will take about the same amount of wood, just a more blacksmithy type way for after you aqquire the forge and bloomery. It would make sense imo.

Maybe you could use some type of forge to create charcoal by putting lots of wood in and collecting it afterwords, I'm saying it will take about the same amount of wood, just a more blacksmithy type way for after you aqquire the forge and bloomery. It would make sense imo.

Eh, either it would be much too quick (charcoal making is pretty slow), or you would have wood sitting in your forge, taking up space for at least a day, per log. So no, I don't think that would work very well, and not to mention making charcoal isn't the same thing as burning wood, the point is it is burning in a low oxygen environment for a long period of time, this turns it to charcoal instead of ash, which results from a fire that has access to more oxygen.

Well, this reminded me of something that might be a good idea, although irl is a real hazard to the environment and is one of the reasons people cut down forests.

Posted Image

It is an oven for 'cooking' up wood into charcoal.

so you want something to be made easier.....

yep this definitely is not the mod for you

Well, this reminded me of something that might be a good idea, although irl is a real hazard to the environment and is one of the reasons people cut down forests.

Posted Image

It is an oven for 'cooking' up wood into charcoal.

That's actually very similar to what we have in TFC, it is still the same idea. Load it up with wood, light it, leave it. Only difference is Bioxx based the TFC version off of stone age peoples digging holes, filling them with wood, lighting them, then covering it with dirt or something similar to prevent too much oxygen from getting in.

well the only other way to make charcoal would be pyrolisation in a closed container. Like a big metal container, could even be fired by burning the "wooden gas" that will be emitted, after a heat up phase. But that is way to industrial for TFC.

That's actually very similar to what we have in TFC, it is still the same idea. Load it up with wood, light it, leave it. Only difference is Bioxx based the TFC version off of stone age peoples digging holes, filling them with wood, lighting them, then covering it with dirt or something similar to prevent too much oxygen from getting in.

Sure but this is a "fixed" version, I mean, you can have many ovens and just fill them up with wood.

Posted Image

Although I doesn't change almost anything (same cooking time, need the same amount of wood) the only thing is that it is build only once.

Sure but this is a "fixed" version, I mean, you can have many ovens and just fill them up with wood.

Posted Image

Although I doesn't change almost anything (same cooking time, need the same amount of wood) the only thing is that it is build only once.

If you build with stone bricks, you only need to build one in TFC too :)

If you build with stone bricks, you only need to build one in TFC too :)

I personally just take a shovel, dug up a 7x7x3 hole, and from that point, that becomes my charcoal pit until i leave the zone. You don't need stone bricks to make a permanent charcoal pit, just to make it fancy and overground.

Honestly, I would love to rather than see new charcoal makeing mechanics have it so the coal types from the ground would be useable in bloomeries and such. Can already use all of them in the forge I think.

Honestly, I would love to rather than see new charcoal makeing mechanics have it so the coal types from the ground would be useable in bloomeries and such. Can already use all of them in the forge I think.

they would need to undergo some sort of burnout purification first, they've got things in them that would harm smelting

so, you want to make coke? well... most of the world discovered coke around 17-18th century... China used it since the 9th century... So depending on Bioxx's idea of this... yes or no.

so, you want to make coke? well... most of the world discovered coke around 17-18th century... China used it since the 9th century... So depending on Bioxx's idea of this... yes or no.

Discovered is the wrong word here, coke is a rather common mineral and acording to the wiki it was already USED in the 9th century by the chinese.

Coke is actually in the game, just not obtainable without creative. So I assume Bioxx has plans to implement it at some point :)

Discovered is the wrong word here, coke is a rather common mineral and acording to the wiki it was already USED in the 9th century by the chinese.

Do you even bother to read more than 2 words of my post...?

Btw most coke found as a mineral is of pretty bad quality.

Natural coke is formed when a coal seam is intersected by a volcanic intrusion. These intrusions heat the surrounding coal in an anoxic atmosphere producing coke in a zone (usually several meters) around the intrusion. However, the coke is of wildly varying strength and ash content and is generally considered unsaleable except in some cases as a thermal product—as it has lost its volatile matter it has lost the ability to be coked again.

Do you even bother to read more than 2 words of my post...?

Btw most coke found as a mineral is of pretty bad quality.

Quality? Coke is by standard a not so good coal, anthracite is the best, but quality is not an issue, if the coal has high sulfur rate (would make a bad iron, break easy) it doesn't affect the game, TFC currently doesn't have a way to determine and take in consideration the mineral properties, either is that mineral or it isn't. You said that most of the coke was discovered in the 17th century, that does not exclude its uses until that time, China already used it, btw China's coal resources are HUGE!

sorry for not stating that correctly "the coke making process in the western world was discovered around the 16-17th century". And i stated that china used it since the 9th century.

the only way I can think of 'teching it up' is a process used on the wood its self to increase surface area(and thus, quicken the process of heating the entire mass inside)

mulching it? Idk, I have never thought of how this would actually work.

you can char mulched wood, even for example bamboo or coconut scarf (thats what im firing my shisha with), but you need to press it into bricks afterwards. So yeah very industrial style.

is it any better then the classic char method? I mean, do the means meet the ends?

well you can use waste wood / unsuitable wood for this method instead of relativ expensive logs compared to it to make charcoal. It's worth it, today. But wasnt a few hundred years ago.

I remember a few months back, a fairly well thought out alternative, but it was the same principle, just heat in an oxygen low environment = Profit.

It really is easy once you get your hands on a jungle, or sequoia forest. Sythes + willows are good for renewable Charcoal. I used to spew out about 400 coal every hour or so by my self. Of course, i did have a metal saw, and went on a slash and burn method, but still.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0