Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
puxapuak

Would you live forever?

41 posts in this topic

In this thread, we've been talking about time and space travel and many-universe hypotheses. But what about a question tangentially related in the biological sciences... Would you live forever if you could?

Medical science has been improving at a shocking rate lately. We've learned a lot about genetics and how to regrow organs using only small samples of source tissue. It's increasingly likely that within all of our lifetimes, it will be possible (and inexpensive) to live pretty much forever.

This is a huge problem in sociology, because it means we would need to complete rewrite the structure of society. Our lives are - when you think about it carefully - entirely constructed around the idea of loss of health and eventual death. Our present increases to longevity have already had a profound effect on our economy and institutions.

But these problems aside... it is an intriguing thought. I would like very much to live forever. I don't understand why anyone would want to stop enjoying life and experiencing learning. Planning my life would be easier if I didn't have to worry about running out of time.

Would you live forever if you could?

Of course!!!! No, of course no! I hate the idea of living forever. You will get bored of this world before or after.

In this thread, we've been talking about time and space travel and many-universe hypotheses. But what about a question tangentially related in the biological sciences... Would you live forever if you could?

Medical science has been improving at a shocking rate lately. We've learned a lot about genetics and how to regrow organs using only small samples of source tissue. It's increasingly likely that within all of our lifetimes, it will be possible (and inexpensive) to live pretty much forever.

This is a huge problem in sociology, because it means we would need to complete rewrite the structure of society. Our lives are - when you think about it carefully - entirely constructed around the idea of loss of health and eventual death. Our present increases to longevity have already had a profound effect on our economy and institutions.

But these problems aside... it is an intriguing thought. I would like very much to live forever. I don't understand why anyone would want to stop enjoying life and experiencing learning. Planning my life would be easier if I didn't have to worry about running out of time.

Death won't be away even if medicine can make us live forever. As Wolf said, life could eventually get boring, pointless, and there would be suicides. Maybe that's why they invented that suicide machine in futurama and placed it in the middle of the street. The right of life, even more, the right to decide what to do with your life, would become much more important, and people would be encouraged to do whatever they want to with their lifes (including finishing it whenever they want to).

However, as biological proofs support the statement that life forms don't necesarily expire (There are some trees which have been growing since before the last ice age, and have endured all the biome changes, not caring about them), i have to say "yes", we will be able to live for ever. Able to. Our most primal fears are built around the idea that life ends at some point, so if we had the chance to live forever, we probably wouldn't take it.

I quite honestly plan to contribute to giving the human the chance to live forever. I'm gonna be a pharmacologist, so i guess i can help finding new medicines to the now days diseases :)

I would if the people I loved did as well. I would devote my time to meticulously unraveling the mysteries of the world. If there were possible new insights into data or connections that other people never saw, it might have been because one life time was only ever enough time to master one field of study. Who knows, there may be some sort of link between astrophysics and microbiology, but we wouldn't really know unless a master of both analyzed them.

It depends a lot on if I am unable to die, or just no longer age but can still be killed. It also depends on if everyone else is in the same situation. I don't want to be around if the human race dies off and there is noone left to talk to. I also don't want to be stuck in a situation where I was entombed, imprisoned or enslaved for eternity because I am unable to die.

It all depends on the condition I would live forever in and if the people I know would be as well. If I was going to be Stephen Hawking (no offense to him, he's a great man and has done great things, I just don't know if I could deal with being completely immobile) it up for 500 years then I would rather die while I can still move more than my eye balls, but If I were to be living for an extended amount of time anytime before the age of about 80 and In fairly good health, then sure I would do it.

There are so many things to do and see that It's impossible to get everything done in a lifetime, so I would certainly be happy with a few! For 50 years I could be a scientist, specifically related to biology, (the career path I hope to follow right now, although that may change, as I'm only going to college next year), for another 50 years I could be a musician (been playing the guitar since I was 5, and bass since I was 12), next 50 years could be an artist (always loved drawing and I grafitti (it's art. and btw, not always illegal, if you don't do it on someone else's property)), then for another half decade I could actually get into computers as much as I'd like to, learning how to code in as many languages as possible and implementing all those ideas I have floating around in my head, I could also actually travel the world and see all the cool places I've always wanted to but probably won't get the chance to in a single lifetime.

So yeah, a few extra lifetimes would be great, because I don't have enough time to do all of those things, despite only being 17. A job needs to be gotten and school needs to be gone to and have work done for, and sadly, even now, that takes up 90% of my time. The other 10% percent breaks down like this

1% - time spent on these forums

4% - playing video games

4% - being a normal teenager and chilling with friends

1% - misc. hobbies I wish I had more time to devote to

I guess my answer is yes, depending on whether other people would be living longer too, so I wouldn't see everyone I know and love dying as I live on, and what condition you would live on in, physical and mental, because you still need a good brain to make it worth while. Oh, and there has to be a way out, because you don't want to be stuck like this for eternity. After 1,000 years and you are sitting in your hover chair watching the shimmering holo-screen flash an add for skydiving over Alpha Centauri, and you can say "done that", you've done everything, and might as well see if there is indeed something at the end of the tunnel.

Now, bring on the overpopulation!!!!!

Huh. Who would have though that TFC forums happen to have so many latent immortalists. On the other hand, this is hardly a counter-intuitive idea.

Not only would I be delighted at such a proposal, but I am seriously interested in helping to bring it about - yes, right now, somewhere, people are making baby steps towards making this more than just a supposition. Although it would suck to die of old age say, a week before it is eventually discovered. It's not only about the trees' longevity: there is a mechanism that allows biological immortality (i.e. not 'made of steel' invulnerable, but anti-aging mechanisms), there is just one problem:

The mechanism is usually present in cancer cells.

So, the problem is to figure out how to get all the benefits but none of the cellular insanity.

Huh. Who would have though that TFC forums happen to have so many latent immortalists. On the other hand, this is hardly a counter-intuitive idea.

Not only would I be delighted at such a proposal, but I am seriously interested in helping to bring it about - yes, right now, somewhere, people are making baby steps towards making this more than just a supposition. Although it would suck to die of old age say, a week before it is eventually discovered. It's not only about the trees' longevity: there is a mechanism that allows biological immortality (i.e. not 'made of steel' invulnerable, but anti-aging mechanisms), there is just one problem:

The mechanism is usually present in cancer cells.

So, the problem is to figure out how to get all the benefits but none of the cellular insanity.

yes, living for ever due to medical advances is much more appealing than living for ever by some magical force in the universe. If you COULDN'T die, it would be much less appealing, as you would survive through all of humanity, to our extinction or until we left the earth, for thousands, millions and then billions of years until the universe ended. That sounds like a torture worse than death to me.

like about all of you: Yes, if i can end it when i want to.

yes, living for ever due to medical advances is much more appealing than living for ever by some magical force in the universe. If you COULDN'T die, it would be much less appealing, as you would survive through all of humanity, to our extinction or until we left the earth, for thousands, millions and then billions of years until the universe ended. That sounds like a torture worse than death to me.

^assumes you wouldn't survive the death of the universe too. Although if all humans would possess this ability, the chuckle-inducing thought of millions of humans leisurely drifting around in space springs to mind. Why, I am weird.

WTF am I the only here that doesn't want to live forever?

I don't want to live forever, just a few lifetimes more. :P

I don't want to live forever, just a few lifetimes more. :P

Oh, ok then.

Well, why wouldn't you want to?

Live forever here? HERE? HERE? IDK, search on the wiki "Why wolf doesn't want to live forever". Maybe it has the answer.

This world and the lives we have aren't worth living for. If on the other hand, I could have a body that never got old, never broke, never became ill, and this world was flawless and didn't resist everything we wish to do, then I think I could stand living forever. Mind you it would need to be a perfect world with nothing but perfect people for me to want to stay here. (Yes, that includes chickens that lay hard-boiled eggs, lemonade springs, where dirt tasted like chocolate and you never had to worry about food, shelter, greed, or over-crowding.)

This world and the lives we have aren't worth living for. If on the other hand, I could have a body that never got old, never broke, never became ill, and this world was flawless and didn't resist everything we wish to do, then I think I could stand living forever. Mind you it would need to be a perfect world with nothing but perfect people for me to want to stay here. (Yes, that includes chickens that lay hard-boiled eggs, lemonade springs, where dirt tasted like chocolate and you never had to worry about food, shelter, greed, or over-crowding.)

True true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true.

Then I would live forever.

True true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true.

Then I would live forever.

so... you guys want to go to heaven? Isn't that essentially what's described here?

Waaaait a second: are you telling me, essentially, that life is ONLY worth living if you don't have to make any sort of effort to, you know, actually live? So, in other words, if the world does not cater to your every whim, you might as well commit suicide? I find that approach disturbing. Even worse, that would be terribly, terribly boring if the world was like you wish it to be.

Consider Dwarf Fortress - people play it for fun, and it's a game that makes you constantly make an effort not to lose in spite of many Fun Stuff you may find, and when they can finally overcome all the obstacles, they stop playing. Because it becomes boring. Because there is no effort in not losing anymore.

Forgot I posted this (dunno why I don't receive notifications for this one...) but interesting answers all.

so... you guys want to go to heaven? Isn't that essentially what's described here?

I thought it was a better planet...

I thought it was a better planet...

it's a perfect world where everything is perfect and only perfect people are allowed in... seems suspicious to me...

it's a perfect world where everything is perfect and only perfect people are allowed in... seems suspicious to me...

I have to infiltrate into the grey side of Riuugumo and steal some secret informations...My name is Wolf, The Wolf.

Posted Image

Heaven would be... *ahem* boring as hell. Nobody disagreeing with you? Everyone carefree and living forever? Definitely not what I had in mind. I'd live forever if I could live like how I live now, just not have to worry about disease and organ degradation.