Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Leosallespoli

How did you find out about TFC?

75 posts in this topic

One of my friend told me about a true survival mod. Got hooked since then.

Build 76 was the lasted version at that time. You remember when your first tools must be smelted with the old school fire pit.

Casting tools was a nice feature of the b77.

Edited by landryx

As people have said, Direwolf20's spotlight was the first I heard of it, I joined the forums when they were pretty barren and have been here ever since.

EDIT: Formatting

Edited by Peffern

A banner in one of the TFC players post got my attention... It was october or november 2014 I guess. I was getting bored of vanilla... I even made a 4bit calculator that summed until 15 in those days...

The other day I tried different keywords in google searching for a better mining gameplay mod.

After looking around for various options, TFC seemed the best solution, with all the ores, the support beams, etc., and it makes MineCraft what I wanted it to be (or what it SHOULD have been? given its name).

Still discovering the mod though.

Edited by Goth

welcome to the forum, the wiki is still in progress so don't hesitate for questions here. Welcome!

I heard about TFC when Etho mentioned in an episode that he'd like to play it sometime. And then when he started playing it, I knew I would love it. But it wasn't until Generikb and BdoubleO started their series that I finally took the time to download it. (I couldn't stand by while they butchered the mod with their derpyness and ineptitude; I had to finally play it for myself. Love watching those two, though!) 

Searching for a new one, I found Terra Firma Craft and my modpack suddenly useless, because all I wanted for minecraft, was there in one mod. 

Don't you just hate it when your modpack suddenly useless?Back on topic I found the mod through Etho, like most other players. Although I was slightly out off playing it due to my only modded experiences being through Technic and similar mod pack things.

I found out about TFC when I was looking for a mod with more realistic weapons. I can't remember which forum I ended up on, but it mentioned TFS and Better than Wolves. They both sounded interesting, but I was still intent on playing just vanilla Minecraft at the time. When I finally got tired of that, I looked into it again and went for TFS because it seemed not quite as hard and I liked the mining and metallurgy features better.

How did I find TFC.... I think it all started with VintageBeef's Steve vs. Steve series. Those were the only videos I ever watched. One day, while checking to see if a new installment had come out, I saw a video entitled "UHC". I thought it sounded interesting, so I checked it out. I can't really remember what UHC it was, but I watched it until Beef died. Then, a couple months later, I was once again checking to see if a new Steve vs. Steve installment had come out. Again, no such luck. But it just so happened that another UHC was being uploaded, so I figured I'd watch this one as well. That was the UHC where Beef's team went into the nether and ran into another team. One of Beef's teammates killed one of their team's, but the other two somehow escaped into thin air. Moments later, the second team member dies to lava. So, I rewound to figure out who the last person was, a youtuber called OMGchad, so I went to his channel to figure out how the hell he managed to escape. Well, I get to his video (which introduces me to Mindcrack, despite chad not even having been a mindcracker) and all I think is daaaaaaaaahhhhhmmmmm he's good-looking. So naturally I watch every video he has ever made. Well, I stumble upon the last episode in his TFC series, and I see a lot of cool things. I figure that I might as well check out what TFC has to offer, since I was planning to make a survivalist mod for minecraft. Well, TFC was even better than I thought, and so I never even made my own mod, since everything I ever wanted is right here.

I found out about the mod through Etho, I had already played with mods before so it was just a matter of time before I couldn't keep myself from playing TFC. I still take breaks every now and then to play other games like STO.

I was on a YouTube Minecraft binge, and stumbled upon a recording with Pakratt, HonneyPlay, Dunk, and others (sorry can't remember if you were in the series Kitty). So decided to download it and try it out, was also the first time installing Forge  :) but after playing it for about 15 minutes, I've been hooked!

i did a very long and intensive search of all the major MC sites and google to try and find ther most immersive mods for minecraft. lol.

I have been playing minecraft for about 3 years :P, I got bored with it 1 year ago, because I never played PC, (and haven't yet). When I finnaly got my laptop, I only played mods for minecraft. Then I started getting into other games because minecraft just got boring. I still watched youtubers like Ethoslab (For 2 years now XD) and continue today. He did a series where he played TFC and I was hooked. I got it then hated it because it was so hard! Last weekend I started playing it again and love it, I'm starting a youtube series of it tommarow in fact :{). Thanks Bioxx and everyone else who helped make this mod. It's oomazing and one of my favorite mods.

A little non-standard for me perhaps.  I never played vanilla minecraft.  Knew of it, liked some of the creativity of created things I saw, but just never tried it.   But I did get into Don't Starve.  I remember someone on those forums mentioning it was like a very simplified minecraft one time. Way later, browsing let's plays of I forget who or what, I saw a mention in the comments of TFC.  Sounded more interesting than minecraft (more survival, actual geology and metallurgy). After watching several episodes of 3 different LP series for TFC, decided to go for it.  Awesome.

I stumbled across this video when Direwolf20 released it years ago  TFC didn't play nice with Redpower though, so I had to choose between bundled cables/tubes/automation and having rocks fall on my head. I made my choice. But now its 3 years later and I'm ready for those rocks

When i was bored playing vanilla Minecraft (I still like it) i checked at YouTube. To find mods that make's a big thing in survival while i was searching i found this YouTuber name Etho.

I enjoyed his modded survivals and when i was gonna check the comments. I saw Ethos video called. Minecraft modded survival TerraFirmaCraft i was really intrigued so i watched all the episodes of Etho's gameplay. Ff TFC so i played the mod and quickly found out that the mod is pretty good and that's how i find out about TFC.

I've been reading these forums for a while now, and finally decided I might as well just register. I love TFC and not planning on stopping it any time soon, and with the TFC2 hype train...Anyway. At least a year ago, I used to play on a survival server, and as fun as minecraft is, there was not really any challenge to it. Within a couple of days I was a god and my castle was made of iron and diamond blocks. There was no reason to bother playing only to start over, and the best days were the first few where you actually played to hide from monsters. I've been a big fan of Dwarf Fortress for many years, and I really thought minecraft should be more like single-player DF (even adventurer mode). I would complain that trees should completely come down when broken, dirt and stone shouldn't defy gravity, there should be more metals and more block creativity, and the ground should not have a huge pit in it every fifty blocks. Someone mentioned TerraFirmaCraft.

Now generally I was not one for mods: minecraft mods were usually difficult to install and get working properly, so I usually avoided them. But when I saw what TFC had to offer, I was intrigued.Tons of trees? Trees chop down with one broken log? Dirt and cobble falls? No lava everywhere? Tan leather? Mortar for bricks? Stone age foraging for food and metals? All the same stone and layers from DF so I know where to find stuff already? Smithing? Good weapons and armor? Lumber stacks? Not being able to put everything in the world into just a few chests? Placing wood as sticks to make shapes? Chisel tool?!It amazed me that all of this was possible from a mod.

Is TFC perfect? No, I do have occasional issues with it. But it's great for being a Minecraft mod, and I have not played vanilla since. I cannot bear doing so.

i was looking for a more simplified version of Dwarf fortress, or at least a 3d version. this was the best i could find lol

i was looking for a more simplified version of Dwarf fortress, or at least a 3d version. this was the best i could find lol

Similar for me, I heard about a cross between Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft.  I'd play dwarf fortress but the dwarves themselves are idiots.  Ugh.

o_O  I am really confused. Where you guys see any similarity between Dwarf Fortress and TFC? :) Yes, mining, caves ... but it is just a setting, the games are completely different. No?Games like Gnomoria, Towns, StoneHearth, Craft The World, RimWorld are exactly "simplified DF" with good graphics, 3D or 2D.

Gnomoria is already well-playable, others more or less ...

Edited by heptagon_ru

o_O  I am really confused. Where you guys see any similarity between Dwarf Fortress and TFC? :) Yes, mining, caves ... but it is just a setting, the games are completely different. No?Games like Gnomoria, Towns, StoneHearth, Craft The World, RimWorld are exactly "simplified DF" with good graphics, 3D or 2D.

i play gnomoria now, but for some reason google brought me to this. it may not have been exactly what i was looking for, but it still peaked my interest enough to try it, and it kept me tided over until i found something better

Basically, the data for stones and metals was basically copied directly from DF, no other game that isn't copying DF in some way uses the same stones and metals, because no other game is trying to achieve that much realism.

TFC actually is originally based off of Dwarf Fortress.

Showed a friend of mine Dwarf Fortress recently, and a couple months ago he showed me TFC as his revenge.  I have since set up a server, though I don't have as much time to play as I'd like (damn day job, always getting in the way).  Its so fun to build a house of of gneiss blocks, and then carve it up with a chisel, just like I my dwarves in DF.

Now I just need to convince my wife she'll have fun with the mod (she's always playing the vanilla MC server I have set up), to get three people playing on my server.