Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
DJFergy

Geological Events

172 posts in this topic

I was meaning, have that for the first chunks, then simulate the rest of the chunk tectonics using a complex formula.

"complex formula"

any suggestion that requires us to sit down and work out an efficient formula or algorithm for generating land on the fly shouldn't have been suggested....

"complex formula"

any suggestion that requires us to sit down and work out an efficient formula or algorithm for generating land on the fly shouldn't have been suggested....

It may take at least a month to code and 2 to bug fix.

Oh... you have NO idea, right?

I was meaning, have that for the first chunks, then simulate the rest of the chunk tectonics using a complex formula.

It may take at least a month to code and 2 to bug fix.

Oh... you have NO idea, right? I don't know a better way to say this, but do you even know perlin noise? Surely I'm not doubting you know how to program, but have you tried to make a world gen?

Dan, I suggest you write up this formula then present it to Boixx yourself. You dont give yourself an air of really knowing much about what you speak about and people here have realized that for some time now. Time to PROVE who you are. That is, do the above if you want the respect of the community. or just stop talking big and you get the same respect. either or, I dont really care ;P

Dunk: Derail time?

derail time it is :D

i fancy the golden tracks leading down into the cavern system myself, you? :D

Gold is the devils currency. Lets use lead, I heard the Romans liked the taste.

It seems we will learn to like the taste too...

True, it can take a while if you don't know how to do it. And the base classes can help teach how to make world gen. I never looked too much into MC code though. I was just estimating the time needed based on my avid work in python and basic knowledge of Java. I would gladly write out the code, but I really need some practice on modding MC. I know the code is large and complex, but also I have figured a simple algorithm tied into a complex decoder would take about a month of 3-5 hours a day to make the basic skeleton and have a working prototype. If you could show me a good MC modding tutorial series for 1.4.4, I'd gladly try and help make the code.

True, it can take a while if you don't know how to do it. And the base classes can help teach how to make world gen. I never looked too much into MC code though. I was just estimating the time needed based on my avid work in python and basic knowledge of Java. I would gladly write out the code, but I really need some practice on modding MC. I know the code is large and complex, but also I have figured a simple algorithm tied into a complex decoder would take about a month of 3-5 hours a day to make the basic skeleton and have a working prototype. If you could show me a good MC modding tutorial series for 1.4.4, I'd gladly try and help make the code.

so you wish to begin a tremendous project for what, earthquakes and volcanoes? thats a bit...of a waste of time, the idea wouldv worked if it'd been an easy thing to implement, but one does not simply change the entire base class of minecraft :D besides, if you're good at doing the base class stuff, y u no work on Cubic Chunks first, get us the 16k height limit :D

For 1.4.4 there is hardly any, but wuppy's is a good start, although if you want to get in deep with the code the best way is to read it, tutorials only go so far as to give basic tools for little mods, you know what I would like to do? I'd like to make a big flow chart to figure out where everything is going, I get confused sometimes and forget my train of thoughts so this would help me do it, interested?

btw, you want to get on with hardcore world gen, so read

http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/12603/how-is-a-3d-perlin-noise-function-used-to-generate-terrain

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/3746989361/terrain-generation-part-1

And the best one:

http://forums.spout.org/threads/vanilla-terrain-generation-algorithms-explained.5352/#post-68594

Im with dunk against the earthquakes. Running a server with 8gb currently and I'm pretty sure if we had to do such a large block update that it would definitely cause some serious lag issues. I Used to use MCEdit on my old vanilla server and when implementing events and such on a large scale i can remember even lagging the server up so much that it would kick players. Not something I would want happening randomly on my server.

Volcanoes would be neat for a visual aspect but as for volcanic eruptions I feel the same way as I do about earthquakes with it. Would it be cool to be sailing the ocean and run into a volcanic Atol? yes. However I wouldn't want the server lag with volcanic eruptions.

Plus as it's been mentioned in MANY posts right now the main focus of this mod is the game mechanics and how things are going to work. Not visually appealing things quite yet. good ideas though.

A volcanic eruption doesn't have to be that hard on the hardware. It doesn't have to be a 100 blocks tall mountain that springs into existence in 10 seconds.

It can be just a 10-20 blocks high hill that formed in half an hour or an entire day, and spills streams of magma from time to time.

I honestly don't get why people keep making lag an issue when there are obvious ways around it.

It would be actually cool if it was done with research, and if it took multiple IGT days for each phase of Volcano-making to take place and signs to become visible that, just like in real world, can warn about a soon-to-be volcanoe before it's visible on the surface.

It could take place in such phases, like magma filling up a cavern that has a magma lake in it, and then forming a shaft that resembles a 5x5 circle and 'grows' upwards one block level every minute or so. And when it erupts on the surface, the dirt layer simply collapses over it and magma starts spilling out that slowly cools into obsidian and forms a small hill.

It might be unnecessary and excess, but non the less it would be cool and certainly not as hard as you try to make it.

Such magma flow could also be triggered by the palyers by altering the balance of magma caves too much.

A volcanic eruption doesn't have to be that hard on the hardware. It doesn't have to be a 100 blocks tall mountain that springs into existence in 10 seconds.

It can be just a 10-20 blocks high hill that formed in half an hour or an entire day, and spills streams of magma from time to time.

I honestly don't get why people keep making lag an issue when there are obvious ways around it.

It would be actually cool if it was done with research, and if it took multiple IGT days for each phase of Volcano-making to take place and signs to become visible that, just like in real world, can warn about a soon-to-be volcanoe before it's visible on the surface.

It could take place in such phases, like magma filling up a cavern that has a magma lake in it, and then forming a shaft that resembles a 5x5 circle and 'grows' upwards one block level every minute or so. And when it erupts on the surface, the dirt layer simply collapses over it and magma starts spilling out that slowly cools into obsidian and forms a small hill.

It might be unnecessary and excess, but non the less it would be cool and certainly not as hard as you try to make it.

Such magma flow could also be triggered by the palyers by altering the balance of magma caves too much.

no eruptions. Already said that.

btw dunk, should the Cubic chunks ever make it, would that make it easier or harder to affect stuff on this big a scale, or would it be unrelated entirely and end up in me getting thrown over the table

btw dunk, should the Cubic chunks ever make it, would that make it easier or harder to affect stuff on this big a scale, or would it be unrelated entirely and end up in me getting thrown over the table

*laughing out loud while at work*

no eruptions. Already said that.

Perfect answer, short, simple, to the point.

Let me give an answer to this topic

It depends on how it would be done, the creator of CC made a volcano mod, but it looks, for me at least, awful... Eruptions are huge events, if it would be believable or realistic enough to give the sense of the real thing you would have to first make an earthquake, which can be done server side and cause a LOT of lag from the huge block-update (imagine that the server has to deal with not one player but almost multiply the effects to all players), or on a client side that would just shake your vision(most games do this) but this would need to be really cleaver or change base classes. Anyway tl; dr too much work for little benefit, there are other stuff that could be done, yet there is no actual interest in them now.

It would be different, many things would be more accessible like how layers of rock are generated, clients and servers would have less to deal with, but things like huge amounts of block updates would still be a problem.

*laughing out loud while at work*

You clearly know a lot about servers, more than me that's for sure, but try to give actual responses and don't laugh at other people's questions. The focus of this mod isn't only game mechanics, actually a huge amount of things that were made don't have any mechanics or usefulness, I wouldn't try to say "this is the focus of the mod"... Many people have failed to.

Let me give an answer to this topic

It depends on how it would be done, the creator of CC made a volcano mod, but it looks, for me at least, awful... Eruptions are huge events, if it would be believable or realistic enough to give the sense of the real thing you would have to first make an earthquake, which can be done server side and cause a LOT of lag from the huge block-update (imagine that the server has to deal with not one player but almost multiply the effects to all players), or on a client side that would just shake your vision(most games do this) but this would need to be really cleaver or change base classes. Anyway tl; dr too much work for little benefit, there are other stuff that could be done, yet there is no actual interest in them now.

It would be different, many things would be more accessible like how layers of rock are generated, clients and servers would have less to deal with, but things like huge amounts of block updates would still be a problem.

You clearly know a lot about servers, more than me that's for sure, but try to give actual responses and don't laugh at other people's questions. The focus of this mod isn't only game mechanics, actually a huge amount of things that were made don't have any mechanics or usefulness, I wouldn't try to say "this is the focus of the mod"... Many people have failed to.

nice long post, and the reason he laughed was because of my or would it be unrelated entirely and end up in me getting thrown over the table sentence

No, man I wasn't laughing at Killster I was laughing at his "and up in me getting thrown over the table". Made me laugh at work.

And in regaurd to the game mechanics I was talking as in right now. Currently they are focusing more on mechanics than they are visually appealing additions to the game.

I mean nothing negative or hateful in my posts.

...I like the Idea of earthquakes...and stuff like that but volcanoes are a huge no for me...I'm sick if volcanoes...Redpower put me off of 'em...anywho...it's up to dunk to do what he wants...but I'm gald to be able to have my say :3

~Demetri<3

No, man I wasn't laughing at Killster I was laughing at his "and up in me getting thrown over the table". Made me laugh at work.

And in regaurd to the game mechanics I was talking as in right now. Currently they are focusing more on mechanics than they are visually appealing additions to the game.

I mean nothing negative or hateful in my posts.

I thought that to, but then Crysyn said

"If Cubic Chunks ever moves forward again and it gets integrated into TFC then you can be assured this sort of thing should happen :D

As for the issues about world gen. I do not think by any means that the world gen is finished so do not frett about that. Bioxx tries to get most of his current-needed World Gen done at once (As was see in the last set of updates where we now have oceans that are OMG big)."

And shortly after came an update which changed how the layers are implemented in the world gen... so... yeah... Go figure...