Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
platanusoccidentalis

Saltpeter?

26 posts in this topic

Does this mineral have a use, because I just found a massive vein of it. Also, what ores spawn in chalk?

That is the one thing that I think needs to be finished first... This may be asking a lot, well it is. I think that all the ores should be finished now instead of putting them off. Get them out of the way. It might make playing a little bit easier. This is no small task and I understand that. That is just the one thing I wish was finished.

That is the one thing that I think needs to be finished first... This may be asking a lot, well it is. I think that all the ores should be finished now instead of putting them off. Get them out of the way. It might make playing a little bit easier. This is no small task and I understand that. That is just the one thing I wish was finished.

I think the ores are done. Saltpeter is a mineral. :P

I think the ores are done. Saltpeter is a mineral. :P

Haha, you got me. How does mineable material sound?

Haha, you got me. How does mineable material sound?

Every rock is a mineable material, what Menoch said is that Saltpeter isn't an ore even though it is a mineral. Ores are minerals that have financial value, on this mod they are smelted to make tools, not all minerals can be smelted, saltpeter is one of those minerals. There will be an use, just not as your usual tools these ones are finished for now.

I expect at least some fashionable decoration value. Though I don't know what to expect of Graphite for instance. It's not like pencils or machine lubes are needed yet )))

Also - just to throw it out there - Malachite actually (in real life) - is a fantasticly beautiful carving/decoration material. Smelting it for copper seems such a waste.

Posted Image

Maybe Bioxx could add some use to saltpeter as fertilizer cos' its a component to few fertilizing mixes :) its also used on blackpowder(gunnpowder) so maybe in future we can have mining by explosives :D

Edit: Also this mineral Jet, i would like to use it to make statues by carving or something, is IRL they make jewelry and sculptures from it.

I expect at least some fashionable decoration value. Though I don't know what to expect of Graphite for instance. It's not like pencils or machine lubes are needed yet )))

Also - just to throw it out there - Malachite actually (in real life) - is a fantasticly beautiful carving/decoration material. Smelting it for copper seems such a waste.

As far as I know copper is the most required valuable and rare ore there is, so not using malachite for copper is a waste.

As far as I know copper is the most required valuable and rare ore there is, so not using malachite for copper is a waste.

Really? Maybe you're doing it wrong. Garnierite is the most valuable and rare ore. Copper is everywhere. I can treasure iron, but copper... Native one is common near the surface AND in deeps. There is also Tetrahedrite in deeps. However - Malachite is rare. So while there is a plenty of copper to be found elsewhere - I stand by my point that if any carving/decoration option is available for Malachite - that would be more preferable than to just smelt it.

You should check out http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/1956-irl-ores-from-real-mines/page__hl__%2Bores+%2Breal+%2Bmines__fromsearch__1

IRL? No, ingame... maybe

NIce one. My father has professional geological education, so I happen to have access to certain actual materials on the subject. But thanks, regardless.

So post there.

So post there.

Most certainly, if I ever get around to that.

Really? Maybe you're doing it wrong. Garnierite is the most valuable and rare ore. Copper is everywhere. I can treasure iron, but copper... Native one is common near the surface AND in deeps. There is also Tetrahedrite in deeps. However - Malachite is rare. So while there is a plenty of copper to be found elsewhere - I stand by my point that if any carving/decoration option is available for Malachite - that would be more preferable than to just smelt it.

First, yes I meant the game sorry,

second, after a some calculations: http://terrafirmacra...ic/2488-alloys/

I guess you are right, I didn't even considered this ore (still tier 1), but copper is still the second then, iron does required in enormous amounts but iron veins are enormous as well so I'd say it's after copper.

First, yes I meant the game sorry,

second, after a some calculations: http://terrafirmacra...ic/2488-alloys/

I guess you are right, I didn't even considered this ore (still tier 1), but copper is still the second then, iron does required in enormous amounts but iron veins are enormous as well so I'd say it's after copper.

I'm not exactly allergic to math, but in several worlds now I happen to branch mine in deeps (56-60) into a copper vein worth about 200+ ingots (3+ large chests of ore) and you alloy it all away anyways (because bronze pick is just a little tad better than same level alloy. Or tin for that matter). I consider iron more precious because after you've got a taste of steel pickaxe - you can't exactly degrade back to bismuth bronze or rose gold one. In my last endeavour that was set specifically to find freaking Garnierite (which I finally did - and darn - I was dissappointed by spread and quantity), I again got a big copper vein 2,5 half large chests and still mining. Andesite on top of Gabbro is FTW. My advise (though you didn't ask for it) is to take 3 whatever picks and 1 prospector, dig a stepped tunnel to the deeps (60) and branch mine tunnel per 20 blocks, prospect every 5 (reach of the pick while still), torch every 10. Chances are that by the end of those 3 picks you end up at least at one of the 'endless' pockets of Cassiterite, Bismuthinite or Sphalerite (given the rock layers can spawn them). And after you've established a supply of bread&butter material - you're set to not worry about not having enough tools.

Sorry for the big post.

I'm not exactly allergic to math, but in several worlds now I happen to branch mine in deeps (56-60) into a copper vein worth about 200+ ingots (3+ large chests of ore) and you alloy it all away anyways (because bronze pick is just a little tad better than same level alloy. Or tin for that matter). I consider iron more precious because after you've got a taste of steel pickaxe - you can't exactly degrade back to bismuth bronze or rose gold one. In my last endeavour that was set specifically to find freaking Garnierite (which I finally did - and darn - I was dissappointed by spread and quantity), I again got a big copper vein 2,5 half large chests and still mining. Andesite on top of Gabbro is FTW. My advise (though you didn't ask for it) is to take 3 whatever picks and 1 prospector, dig a stepped tunnel to the deeps (60) and branch mine tunnel per 20 blocks, prospect every 5 (reach of the pick while still), torch every 10. Chances are that by the end of those 3 picks you end up at least at one of the 'endless' pockets of Cassiterite, Bismuthinite or Sphalerite (given the rock layers can spawn them). And after you've established a supply of bread&butter material - you're set to not worry about not having enough tools.

Sorry for the big post.

you are right about the height, most of the ores are found at this height, except copper, checked many maps and copper only appear to be in small veins more close to the surface.

I happen to dig to a granite over basalt and any veins I find (limonite and sphalerite) are ending on basalt, I wonder if ores can be on basalt since it's so dark?

you are right about the height, most of the ores are found at this height, except copper, checked many maps and copper only appear to be in small veins more close to the surface.

I happen to dig to a granite over basalt and any veins I find (limonite and sphalerite) are ending on basalt, I wonder if ores can be on basalt since it's so dark?

Tetrahedrite and Gold have no problems spawning in Basalt - that's for sure. There are very annoying rock-ore combinations in terms of seeing (like Gneiss-Sphalerite), but as far as I've seen - ore spawns in one type of rock in one place. Like in my Hematite mine all of the Hematite is in upper Andesite and none in lower Gabbro.

As for Copper never spawning in deeps - 'specially for you, my skeptical friend (note the Y):

Posted Image

BTW, that shows very large even though I've already excavated around 3 doublechests of ore.

I can only assume he plans to add gunpowder. Use sulfur dust + Powdered saltpeter + Charcoal

Did some people above commit forum sin by talking about how simple ore generation is? I really hope there are plans to make it more dynamic. Once you find out about Y60, it takes all the excitement of prospecting and exploration out of the mod.

Tetrahedrite and Gold have no problems spawning in Basalt - that's for sure. There are very annoying rock-ore combinations in terms of seeing (like Gneiss-Sphalerite), but as far as I've seen - ore spawns in one type of rock in one place. Like in my Hematite mine all of the Hematite is in upper Andesite and none in lower Gabbro.

As for Copper never spawning in deeps - 'specially for you, my skeptical friend (note the Y):

BTW, that shows very large even though I've already excavated around 3 doublechests of ore.

eventually I found about 1.5 chests of copper. but it's still hard to compare to other ores, only to nickel which I haven't found yet.

Well then I guess you got really screwed by rng

Well then I guess you got really screwed by rng

Or I'm just lucky :)

In the end you don't need more copper then nickel, and mostly you just need iron.

Or I'm just lucky :)

In the end you don't need more copper then nickel, and mostly you just need iron.

Depends on how much you value your time. Bronze pick makes a big difference when compared to anything before you get iron. And - let's face it - branch-mining is the only reliable way to go so far.

Depends on how much you value your time. Bronze pick makes a big difference when compared to anything before you get iron. And - let's face it - branch-mining is the only reliable way to go so far.

I mean that iron is very easy to find,

so once I find copper I won't stay on bronze, but just skip it. (that's also why I believe the copper tier is useless, and all this verity is for nothing)

"branch-mining", what is that?

My best way is to dig strait down, you dig only H blocks, and you reveal 27*H block, no cave ins too..

if you dig tunnels you dig 2*W blocks and reveal 28*W, so it's twice less efficient + you have cave ins.

Exploring caves is good, but requires lots of fighting.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0