Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
MadDoctor5813

Emergencies

37 posts in this topic

Scenario:

You have died. (In-game, not IRL). Luckily, your ore, tools, valuables, etc. are all holed up a mile underground in some chests. However, your bed has failed to spawn you back near your house. What kind of shelter will you build (if any) for the first few nights?

Purpose:

(feels like a lab report)

I want to see how other players build structures in their games without any starting materials, because I want to improve my own, and looking at some experienced players' shelters will be enlightening to me.

I build a small shelter over my spawn point after I spawn before I build actual bases elsewhere. There's nothing worse than dying and never being able to get away from your spawn zone because you died early evening and every creeper has your name and 10-20.

(Side note.... there are a LOT of Canadians on these forums, now that we all are showing our own 10-20. Do we have a cultural disposition for MC and/or TFC?)

Well, normally i rage quit and eliminate the world whenever my bed fails, so i don't really have an strategy planned for that... Other than "Read the bed's page of the wiki, look into any detail that could avoid it to spawn you where you should, avoid making those mistakes at any cost."

Already tried most of those links, in fact. Last time they gave me a ball so i could squeeze it any time i felt angry. Didn't last.

Squeezed your balls too tight, eh?

O_o ....

So yea... bed fails. Spawn in the middle of nowhere... no items...

Grab some stone off the ground. Wack a few leaves to get some branches... shovel a hovel, and wait out the night, or run for the nearest river if I can't shake mobs.... then wait the night out. Next morning... act like you are starting over again. And bitch a lot...

Well this looks interesting.

First i will rage over it because i like to make my houses very far from the spawn,im quite bitchy when it comes to choose a place for my home,so i will dig a hole in the ground hoping not to encounter any curious mob going into that hole(i know i died in night because i havea horrible luck, you know, Murphy's laws).When day comes i go out(after happily hearing all mobs die at sunlight, and then i start like if i just spawned, and i get myself at least a pickaxe so i can then go into the journey of finding my way home,which will take me like a week IRL.but every time it gets to night time i build a shelter and keep it in there, with my bed in it and so on, so if i die i wont have to start again(!!!murphys law in action!!!!) wait! my bed didnt worked again =(

Quit life.

This happens to me every first night in a map. I continue respawning and I try to reach my ingots. I saw a zombie that took one of them, but then he died because it was day. Lots of creepers can blow up everything and let the skeletons enter your home.

I usually create worlds until i get a nice place to settle not too far from the spawn.

If i can't, and my house is miles away from spawn point, and i experiement your scenario, well, 3 options depending of time before night :

1 - i run all the night avoiding mobs until i reach my house, sometimes funny when you find a new place better than yours, sometimes bad when you have to run undefinitly and realize in the morning that you're miles away from your house...

2 - find a high place, collecting some rock and stick, make a knive and few javelins, then hold the mountain !

3 - rock, stick = axe --> plank --> small shelter to wait morning.

PS : how do you dig a hole with the dirt that fall inside all the time ? And most of all, how do you close that hole ?

1 - i run all the night avoiding mobs until i reach my house, sometimes funny when you find a new place better than yours, sometimes bad when you have to run undefinitly and realize in the morning that you're miles away from your house...

This is quite difficult when your house is on a hill. Creepers have fun jumping near me and skeletons...they love high places where they act like snipers. And zombies need only to go forward to attack you, instead you need to go forward and jump.

Scenario:

You have died. (In-game, not IRL). Luckily, your ore, tools, valuables, etc. are all holed up a mile underground in some chests. However, your bed has failed to spawn you back near your house. What kind of shelter will you build (if any) for the first few nights?

Purpose:

(feels like a lab report)

I want to see how other players build structures in their games without any starting materials, because I want to improve my own, and looking at some experienced players' shelters will be enlightening to me.

I look for elevation and dig just under a grass block. I then block most of my entryway with the dirt I dug up, and leave a little window.

The shelter is usually 2 blocks tall, 2 blocks wide, and 1 block thick. THat way I have a spot to move to if shot at by a skeleton or targeted by a creeper.

I'm boring. Knap an axe, chop down some trees, build a hovel out of single-log logpiles. Or maybe dig a pit in the ground and cover it over with logpiles. Depends on the situation. Leave the game running through the night while I do something else, then gather up my logs the next morning and start heading home.

I'm boring. Knap an axe, chop down some trees, build a hovel out of single-log logpiles. Or maybe dig a pit in the ground and cover it over with logpiles. Depends on the situation. Leave the game running through the night while I do something else, then gather up my logs the next morning and start heading home.

No, sir. If you talk this way, it's normal that you're bored. You need to say: Today is a new day, a dangerous day. I need to knapp my first axe. I don't know how it will be, but I try to knapp it best I can. Made that, I need to go in this forest, this full of secrets forest and I need to choose the right tree, because I don't have time to make mistakes. Then I place all the logs that I got in a log-pile. *Looks the log-pile* This makes me feel rich! I can make a quick shelter with these!! I need to knapp a shovel head. Here, with these 2 rocks. I hope that this is strong enough to dig my shelter. No, I can't leave the game running during the night because creepers are everywhere!!! But I can sleep in a bed. *Searches for sheeps and finds one*...

No, sir. If you talk this way, it's normal that you're bored. You need to say: Today is a new day, a dangerous day. I need to knapp my first axe. I don't know how it will be, but I try to knapp it best I can. Made that, I need to go in this forest, this full of secrets forest and I need to choose the right tree, because I don't have time to make mistakes. Then I place all the logs that I got in a log-pile. *Looks the log-pile* This makes me feel rich! I can make a quick shelter with these!! I need to knapp a shovel head. Here, with these 2 rocks. I hope that this is strong enough to dig my shelter. No, I can't leave the game running during the night because creepers are everywhere!!! But I can sleep in a bed. *Searches for sheeps and finds one*...

I can see that I've been playing this game all wrong. I'm not branch mining, I'm creating the Earth's vascular network, laying the foundations for a vast underground transportation grid which some future race of dwarves will marvel at and pay homage to the unknown deity who left it for them. I just hope they like olivine.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I now know that my style of "set it to peaceful until I happen to have enough plank blocks to live through the night, and have punched three sheep to death" is relatively uncommon among players. The first time I played, I tried to build a shelter out of dirt by collecting a stack of it. Needless to say, I had to do a lot of walking that night.

Side Note:

I build a small shelter over my spawn point after I spawn before I build actual bases elsewhere. There's nothing worse than dying and never being able to get away from your spawn zone because you died early evening and every creeper has your name and 10-20.

(Side note.... there are a LOT of Canadians on these forums, now that we all are showing our own 10-20. Do we have a cultural disposition for MC and/or TFC?)

By the way, I believe the reason Canadians love TFC is we identify with the hardship of the game. After all, living in Canada is hard. If you remember, we all live in iglooes. At least, that's what some think.

Side Note; Pt. 2: The revenge of the return of the lord of the side notes:

I've always wondered this: How do you pronounce dunk's username?

4 stacks of 8 plank blocks, a door and a crafting table, a small stack of sticks and stones provides further utility and you basically have a complete base in 8 slots of your inventory with food found on the way to where you're going. Lay the planks out in a 5 by 5 bunker shape without corners or top edges. It's something that can be set up in about 15 seconds and torn down in 30-40 seconds in the morning if you're unable to grab a bed during the day.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I now know that my style of "set it to peaceful until I happen to have enough plank blocks to live through the night, and have punched three sheep to death" is relatively uncommon among players.

I play on peaceful most of the time, only switching over to hostile if I'm starting to get bored. Haven't gotten bored in TFC yet. Charcoal collection was starting to get a bit tedious until someone told me about willows. Now if only I could figure out the recipe for the prospector's pick with the 50 block radius, then I'd be able to eliminate the tedium of branch mining as well.

By the way, I believe the reason Canadians love TFC is we identify with the hardship of the game. After all, living in Canada is hard. If you remember, we all live in iglooes.

Hardship? TFC is a cakewalk. In TFC my house doesn't melt every time I jog up the thermostat!

Side Note; Pt. 2: The revenge of the return of the lord of the side notes:

I've always wondered this: How do you pronounce dunk's username?

According to Wikipedia:

Dunkleosteus (from "[David] Dunkle" + osteus [οστεος, Greek: bone])

Dunkle-os-te-us.

I assume 'Dunkle' is pronounced like 'uncle', then 'oss' like 'boss', tea, us.

Hardship? TFC is a cakewalk. In TFC my house doesn't melt every time I jog up the thermostat!

Canadian stereotypes are quite amusing aren't they, eh?

EDIT: How could I have forgotten the "eh"?

Canadian stereotypes are quite amusing aren't they, eh?

While I will fully grant that I end a lot of my sentences with "eh", I completely reject any notion that I say "aboot". I say "about", where the "bou" portion sounds like "bao", but shorter. I do notice that I clip the 't' at the end of "about" quite a bit such that it is almost completely lost, but that still doesn't give a "boo" sound.

While I will fully grant that I end a lot of my sentences with "eh", I completely reject any notion that I say "aboot". I say "about", where the "bou" portion sounds like "bao", but shorter. I do notice that I clip the 't' at the end of "about" quite a bit such that it is almost completely lost, but that still doesn't give a "boo" sound.

Actually that has more to do with comparative vowel pronunciation. Americans in many areas pronounce vowels with a very wide sound. Their 'about' sounds to Canadian ears like 'abaot' or even 'abaut'. To reproduce it tense the sides of your cheeks to pull your mouth wider when you say your vowels and you'll instantly sound more American. But because they say vowels wider, they hear our vowels with a more 'oo' noise. They are used to thinking of 'ou' making a 'ao' noise, so when they hear it pronounced 'ou' it sounds like 'oo'.

That said, if you go to north-west Ontario you will hear an accent where even most Canadian ears will be hearing 'aboot' because vowels will be even more closed.

I blame the French (always blame the French they usually have something to do with it ;) )

I die, I simply look up, get my bearings, then look around for familiar terrain.(I explore a LOT. Memorize most of the map) once I find it, I make a bee line for home, grab the extra spare of bronze, and dive on down to kick some creep ass.

as part of the wanderers life, I make javelins as I go, and hide in trees at night. my greatest threat ever is spiders. bloody mother effers come outta nowhere.

recap: wanderer, makes weapons as I go, uses game mechanics to hide at night, afraid of spiders, kicks ass once home.

as for shelters, early game, just dig into the ground under the grass and live there. use logs to replace the roof, and constantly expand how much storage you have. functionality is what you NEED

if you want aesthetics, wait till mid game at least.

I die, I simply look up, get my bearings, then look around for familiar terrain.(I explore a LOT. Memorize most of the map)

Given that the map is more-or-less infinite, how can you possibly memorize most of it?