Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Vlad

Rail prices are TOO DAMN HIGH!!

72 posts in this topic

So after building a nice base in the north poll and getting up steel tools, it's time to move south, there I'll be able to farm and enjoy the hot climate.

Walking 16km by feet is possible but then all my chests aren't gonna come with me.

So a wise solution would be to build a rail connecting the north pole and the equator (about 16 km), only one problem.. rail prices are TOO DAMN HIGH, well maybe not 'too' but high, I would need 1k iron ingots for this rail.

In the wiki it said that the rails are gonna be changed, but how? Cheaper? More expensive? Removed?

How about a recipe like this:

XOX = 64 rails

X - iron

O - plank

sounds believable?

Even if not, making it more believable would make it less practical.

Maybe I'm just lazy to dig all that iron, but it's not only iron, for efficient rail, about 1/12 of the rail should be boosters, which would require 80 gold as well, and this is just very hard to find in this amounts.

Has anyone used rails already?

What is his opinion about the cost of rails.

Any metals from copper and up should be useable in making rails and a form of locomotion be implemented besides boosters, such as a hand cart.

Posted Image

For funsies, you could make the handcart only go at half speed or require twice the fatigue to operate unless you have a second person. ;)

Any metals from copper and up should be useable in making rails and a form of locomotion be implemented besides boosters, such as a hand cart.

Posted Image

For funsies, you could make the handcart only go at half speed or require twice the fatigue to operate unless you have a second person. ;)

Only copper and up? That's where all the important metals are :o

How about zinc rails ;), with this I'm going to connect both poles forth and back.. TWICE :D

Even better:

new metal: 2 zinc + bismuth + tin = 4 crappy metal

2 crappy metal = 64 rails

Not really sure, tier 0 metals might be able to handle the stresses of rail use since it would be only small objects traveling over them and not huge steam engines. That said, gold is more malleable than tin, and we have those too, so it's not like it's stretching believability any further than it already is.

I vote we use that the stone tracks that were previously suggested, it's cheep, it's easy and we can still make metal wheels cost a lot.

Also I vote for a rail redo, lay down ties, then lay down rails and then the spikes at least for normal rails.

Only copper and up? That's where all the important metals are :o

How about zinc rails ;), with this I'm going to connect both poles forth and back.. TWICE :D

Even better:

new metal: 2 zinc + bismuth + tin = 4 crappy metal

2 crappy metal = 64 rails

I was going to disagree, but then I decided to agree. Iron and steel are necessary for the kind of weight dealt with in a real railroad, but if that's not ever going to be part of the game (why would it? Steam engines? - not sure that fits the model...) then basically you're just dealing with a little hand cart anyway. But I would say that bismuth and zinc are both out. Those metals are not remotely suitable for such a use as they are quite brittle on their own. But tin on the other hand would actually make a crappy-but-usable-enough rail metal. Good enough for such purposes, and certainly quite plentiful.

I vote we use that the stone tracks that were previously suggested, it's cheep, it's easy and we can still make metal wheels cost a lot.

Also I vote for a rail redo, lay down ties, then lay down rails and then the spikes at least for normal rails.

Stone rails sound great.

Maybe the cart creation process can be transferred to the anvil, and only the last part combination to workbench.

Maybe it's better to just place the whole rails, if you are making a 10 km rails it may take forever to place it part by part.

Instead of calling it crappy alloy, how about scrap alloy, sounds better with a minimum of change of intent. Would be craftable from any combination of 4 ingots worth of tin, bismuth, or zinc and would be used exclusively for rails or tools. Also, adding things like the ties and spikes make up for being able to use much cheaper materials for the rails in the first place, such as low tier metal or stone. Also, the spikes most likely being metal could be used in other parts of a construction update.

Instead of calling it crappy alloy, how about scrap alloy, sounds better with a minimum of change of intent. Would be craftable from any combination of 4 ingots worth of tin, bismuth, or zinc and would be used exclusively for rails or tools. Also, adding things like the ties and spikes make up for being able to use much cheaper materials for the rails in the first place, such as low tier metal or stone. Also, the spikes most likely being metal could be used in other parts of a construction update.

Final offer: scrapy metal

Different rails with different max speed would be nice,

here is an idea for carts:

different types - wood, stone, and metals,

cart has hull and wheel (maybe something else too)

the wheels have durability like weapons, after being destroyed, cart breaks dropping the hull,

that way you can start the game with stone rails and wood carts, but they have low speed and breaks fast.

Of course, if all we're doing is making light rails for hand carts/minecarts, then there's really no reason we couldn't use wooden rails as that's what the first rail tracks were made from.

I think we should all look to the Railcraft mod and draw inspiration from that.

There exists wooden rail on which the cart cannot go up to full speed and having them take damage from use over time gives the player yet another reason to upgrade. (some of us can be really really patient when it comes to traveling)

as for manufacturing. wooden rails should be very cost efficient. replace the ingots/rails with planks and you should be done. but obviously the wooden rail will break after being traveled over a certain amount of times.

Now for metal rails however they should be much more persistent. either they do not break at all or their life length is increased.

They would allow for traveling speeds that are normal (i don't know about any high speed rails really)

But obviously manufacturing these would eat away your metal supply a great deal!

I'd say keep it simple and only have one kind of metal rail. copper, bronze, iron and steel all could be made into rails but they should all turn into the same kind of rail. thus you would prefer to use whatever metal you have the most of or the least use for.

just as in the railcraft mod i think rail manufacturing should be split up into two parts. 1. the rails and 2. the ties!

In railcraft you'll need a rolling machine to craft the rails. to heck with that though. let us pound that shit out on the anvil. one ingot could be stretched out into 3 rail pieces which are then laid out pretty much like the vanilla recipe.

as for the ties. in railcraft this would also require a coke oven and a shitload of coal to make creosote oil. to heck with that though! just add three planks to the recipe and you should have your rails ready.

Now as for the output of rails i must say i agree with Vlad! it might sound improbable to make 64 rails out of 2 ingots and three planks but when you think about how many rails you use in one railway then you might change your mind.

thought flash over to real life. it's the industrial revolution and the first railroad is being built between two nations. it's a huge undertaking to build this railroad. thousands of workers are breaking their backs for this but thanks to recent scientific discoveries none of them will have to use a hammer to form each single rail piece by hand. that is all done through machinery which will push out rail after rail after rail.

Flash back into Terrafirmacraft.. ... .. there ain't gonna be machines like this in terrafirmacraft is there?

Before I've seen suggested being able to just make rails out of any metals but getting more or less depending on the quality, the alternative here is rails that are lower quality get damaged and must be replaced, but I think this in essence simulates that without having to run personal maintenance on KM's of track every time you log on.

Either way I think the developments are going to be hard in this area without pushing too far into a time period Bioxx wasn't interested in.

Before I've seen suggested being able to just make rails out of any metals but getting more or less depending on the quality, the alternative here is rails that are lower quality get damaged and must be replaced, but I think this in essence simulates that without having to run personal maintenance on KM's of track every time you log on.

Either way I think the developments are going to be hard in this area without pushing too far into a time period Bioxx wasn't interested in.

the quality could be determined by what metal is used yes, and also how good of a job the player does on the anvil. it could work just like tool making works now! do a bad job or use low quality metal and your resulting rails will be produced with a penalty damage to it.

that could allow players to use different kinds of metals for their railways and still keep TFC from having a bazzilion kinds of rails.

Railroads are an awesome and quite useful way to travel in TFC, however thinking on the believability aspect, one person alone doesnt undertake a railway. Just look at the amount of time and resources it takes one person to make a suit of Bismuthine armor... And that is just a suit of armor. Should it cost less in materials and time to span a countryside wih steel and wood? As noted, regardless of machinery, it takes hundreds if not thousands of people working on a line spanning hundreds of km's. Such an undertaking should be a community effort... Say for instance one kingdom and another create a trade route, pool their resources, and build a railroad.

As for one person moving his or her chests from one place to another, wouldnt it be cheaper and less time consuming to just use a horse and cart or a boat (these threads have already been started). Or put all that leather to good use and use the BACKPACK mod.

It is possible to craft your own railroad, but as has already been pointed out, it will cost one person much much much time and resources.

But I think that is the way it should be. But again this is just my opinion.

Fair points, the railroads should be a community project, but given the limitations of minecraft(we're not likely to see multiple thousand player servers) we'll still have to make some cutting on that.

But yeah, being able to build a back pack I'd only support if we lowered default inventory, but the other things, horses, carts, caravans, even just wheelbarrows to help us transport stuff in a practical way.

I agree, Renadi. Thousands of players on one server is not going to happen. But even 5 people all mining, smelting, crafting, and working on the same project would make this hurdle easier to overcome. Or.. there is always Howl's Floating Castle!

I agree, Renadi. Thousands of players on one server is not going to happen. But even 5 people all mining, smelting, crafting, and working on the same project would make this hurdle easier to overcome. Or.. there is always Howl's Floating Castle!

Heck, I don't even think most people have the bandwidth and internet connections to run any more than 250! Even if there was, the block lag would be UNBEARABLE!!

Eh, I'd like to imagine some crazy person running a Minecraft server as an mmo, with huge servers and massive ammounts of bandwidth.

Eh, I'd like to imagine some crazy person running a Minecraft server as an mmo, with huge servers and massive ammounts of bandwidth.

I would love to see that as well, but it is just not possible, you know?

The first rail-like structures were the stone channels used by the Romans to my knowledge as much as I love wikipedia. But anyways, I agree with Menoch sort of, rails should be harder but shouldn't require a community or even five people otherwise we lose a lot of SSP options. Just make it simple. Sticks for bed are placed one by one. Allowing planks/sticks in the world would be necessary for this preferably sticks. Next the actual rails they just need to normal so we don't have to make curved rails also. That would just suck. The piece would flex based on position of other rails like they do now but could not have a cart drive over without wrecking the cart. Finally when you have the track set down the way you want it you nail the spikes in using a hammer.

Instead of sticks we might want to make a new item known as a rod. It would have the current stick texture the old one would look more stick-ish. Using a knife on a stick would make a rod same with using a saw or a ax on a plank. These rods would become placeable. Maybe sticks would to but they would look like crap.

Railroads are an awesome and quite useful way to travel in TFC, however thinking on the believability aspect, one person alone doesnt undertake a railway. Just look at the amount of time and resources it takes one person to make a suit of Bismuthine armor... And that is just a suit of armor. Should it cost less in materials and time to span a countryside wih steel and wood? As noted, regardless of machinery, it takes hundreds if not thousands of people working on a line spanning hundreds of km's. Such an undertaking should be a community effort... Say for instance one kingdom and another create a trade route, pool their resources, and build a railroad.

As for one person moving his or her chests from one place to another, wouldnt it be cheaper and less time consuming to just use a horse and cart or a boat (these threads have already been started). Or put all that leather to good use and use the BACKPACK mod.

It is possible to craft your own railroad, but as has already been pointed out, it will cost one person much much much time and resources.

But I think that is the way it should be. But again this is just my opinion.

I'm now making a rail connecting the north and the south poll (no cheats),

it's possible even though it's expensive and time consuming, iron veins are usually pretty big, so 1k+ ore can be mined fairly easy, now 3k ore is 1k ingots, and it is 16k rails so it's half way there.

Maybe I'll make a video showing the ride from north to the equator (or even south).

Hmmmm...

The first rail-like structures were the stone channels used by the Romans to my knowledge as much as I love wikipedia. But anyways, I agree with Menoch sort of, rails should be harder but shouldn't require a community or even five people otherwise we lose a lot of SSP options. Just make it simple. Sticks for bed are placed one by one. Allowing planks/sticks in the world would be necessary for this preferably sticks. Next the actual rails they just need to normal so we don't have to make curved rails also. That would just suck. The piece would flex based on position of other rails like they do now but could not have a cart drive over without wrecking the cart. Finally when you have the track set down the way you want it you nail the spikes in using a hammer.

Instead of sticks we might want to make a new item known as a rod. It would have the current stick texture the old one would look more stick-ish. Using a knife on a stick would make a rod same with using a saw or a ax on a plank. These rods would become placeable. Maybe sticks would to but they would look like crap.

Ok... Here you are.. not sure how Rod will help with the railroad situation... but....

Posted Image

For "early" transportation, it seems like a dirt road would be more viable. Till the earth with a hoe and then pound it flat with a hammer to produce the dirt road, appearing somewhere between dirt and raw stone. Maybe have it convey a 10% speed increase as well since you have a nice flat surface to traipse across rather than fields of grass and mud.

PS: I know it's been suggested before, more of a side-note. ;)

I'm thinking dirt isn't usually pounded flat with hammers. That isn't how we do it in the US but I don't know maybe we do that backwards also. We are thinking of item transportation that is a little more advanced then pushing things across a road I could do that already