Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Vlad

Rail prices are TOO DAMN HIGH!!

72 posts in this topic

Sorry but I'm not going to even attempt to herd cattle down into a mine especially after Dunk buffs them up.

So a wise solution would be to build a rail connecting the north pole and the equator (about 16 km), only one problem.. rail prices are TOO DAMN HIGH, well maybe not 'too' but high, I would need 1k iron ingots for this rail.

The earliest iron edge rails used about 76 kilograms of iron per meter of track. Given that TFC ingots are 2kg each that would mean 38 ingots per meter of track, so the current formula of just 4 ingots for 64 meters of track is an incredible bargain by historical standards.

Prior to edge rails there were L-shaped plate rails. They tended to become clogged with ballast and other debris, requiring frequent cleaning. Assuming that you place your sleepers close enough together you might be able to get away with 1cm thick plate. Assuming a bottom plate 6cm wide and a flange 3cm high, that comes out to 14.2kg of iron per meter of track, or about 7 TFC ingots, andyou'd have to go clean the track after every 20 or so trips.

Prior to plate rails there were strap rails: wooden rails with steel plating on top. They required a lot of maintenance and had a tendancy to kill passengers, but they did use a lot less metal. Let's say that you could get away with plates 0.5cm thick and 3cm wide. That would come out to 2.4kg of rail per meter of track, or just over a single TFC ingot. So that's the sort of technology you're talking about with just two ingots per meter of track: you have to rebuild the track every 20 or so trips (though you can reuse the iron), and there's a 0.001% chance of you being injured or killed for each kilometer travelled. :-)

For "early" transportation, it seems like a dirt road would be more viable. Till the earth with a hoe and then pound it flat with a hammer to produce the dirt road, appearing somewhere between dirt and raw stone. Maybe have it convey a 10% speed increase as well since you have a nice flat surface to traipse across rather than fields of grass and mud.

PS: I know it's been suggested before, more of a side-note. ;)

And then implement wheelbarrows! Throw a chest in there, or just have a certain amount of storage space. Wheelbarrows travel normal walking speed on 'pounded' roads, travel very slow maybe 50% speed on anything not a road.

The earliest iron edge rails used about 76 kilograms of iron per meter of track. Given that TFC ingots are 2kg each that would mean 38 ingots per meter of track, so the current formula of just 4 ingots for 64 meters of track is an incredible bargain by historical standards.

Prior to edge rails there were L-shaped plate rails. They tended to become clogged with ballast and other debris, requiring frequent cleaning. Assuming that you place your sleepers close enough together you might be able to get away with 1cm thick plate. Assuming a bottom plate 6cm wide and a flange 3cm high, that comes out to 14.2kg of iron per meter of track, or about 7 TFC ingots, andyou'd have to go clean the track after every 20 or so trips.

Prior to plate rails there were strap rails: wooden rails with steel plating on top. They required a lot of maintenance and had a tendancy to kill passengers, but they did use a lot less metal. Let's say that you could get away with plates 0.5cm thick and 3cm wide. That would come out to 2.4kg of rail per meter of track, or just over a single TFC ingot. So that's the sort of technology you're talking about with just two ingots per meter of track: you have to rebuild the track every 20 or so trips (though you can reuse the iron), and there's a 0.001% chance of you being injured or killed for each kilometer travelled. :-)

Never saw single person carry tons of stones in his bag, or sprint for a few kilometers..

How fun will it be to mine a stone block for a few days? <_<

Sorry but I'm not going to even attempt to herd cattle down into a mine especially after Dunk buffs them up.

Whhat!!!!??? You've never heard of... bomines? (get it? Bovines.... nevermine...) O_o

railroads are too modern. (nobody argue)

They are supposed to be expensive as hell.

in that case, we're getting rid of them right and getting period appropriate alternatives? :D

that doesn't seem like what Dunk said.

seems like they'll stay but will still be expensive as hell!

railroads are too modern. (nobody argue)

They are supposed to be expensive as hell.

What about the other rail types? Wood or stone?

Or different carts?

Tell us though Dunk.

are you two planning on changing the way tracks are made?

I'm not arguing wikipedia is "The main function of the Diolkos was the transfer of goods, although in times of war it also became a preferred means of speeding up naval campaigns. The 6 km (3.7 mi) to 8.5 km (5.3 mi) long roadway was a rudimentary form of railway,[3] and operated from c. 600 BC until the middle of the 1st century AD.[4]" Although it wasn't used for mines it was quite an efficient method of moving a boat over land. I know it ain't happening, its just good to give the Greeks and Romans the credit they deserve. As for true rails though I agree with you there and so does wikipedia.

Ive been towing my parents boat, on land, with tractor by switching logs under it, so it glided top of them instead just scraping ground. Came quite easily but didn't try push by hand, boat was 6-7 tons weight. Maybe someday we have somekind of ropes&pulleys to pull our chests around on log rails :DD (boat was moved 200 metres from water to storage/fixing place)

edit: ,,,,,,,, ______/ boat

________o_o o o o o o <--logs

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

fuck railways. horse carts are inbound, working with avi on horses atm (avi is creator of simply horses)

You've brought this on yourselves guys, inventory = slowed movement speed

Horsecarts will be able to move large amounts of items at ~walking speed, but can only go up cliffs of 1/5 of a block. Get ready to chisel yourself some stone roads. (They are also slowed considerably by sand/dirt/gravel)

TAKE ALL MY MONEY

TAKE ALL MY MONEY

I ACCEPT CHEQUES AND CASH

fuck railways. horse carts are inbound, working with avi on horses atm (avi is creator of simply horses)

Horsecarts will be able to move large amounts of items at ~walking speed, but can only go up cliffs of 1/5 of a block. Get ready to chisel yourself some stone roads. (They are also slowed considerably by sand/dirt/gravel)

That sounds delicious.

At first I thought, horses, fuuuuuck that. Then you told me I would be spending exorbitant amounts of time chiseling roads for these beasts -- challenge accepted.

does it mean you are going to remove rails and minecarts?

Also it's a great change, getting very close to Wurm which I really liked.

Also I hope you will add an option get load and drag carts, as well as sailing ships.

dunk, in all fairness, shouldnt this be a bit of a toggle-able option on servers? the entire being weighed down by your inventory would piss quite some people off i'd imagine, you wouldnt be able to travel far anymore, and my fellow mountaineers ( and everyone else that likes his good view) would get f'ed cuz you'd be unable to get your stuff up that mountain (or is it MOVEMENT speed only? if so, how much would it affect your jumping capability for far jumps?)

dunk, in all fairness, shouldnt this be a bit of a toggle-able option on servers? the entire being weighed down by your inventory would piss quite some people off i'd imagine, you wouldnt be able to travel far anymore, and my fellow mountaineers ( and everyone else that likes his good view) would get f'ed cuz you'd be unable to get your stuff up that mountain (or is it MOVEMENT speed only? if so, how much would it affect your jumping capability for far jumps?)

If you think about it then you can't simply climb on a 45 degree mountain with bunch of stuff on you, a way to climb mountain is usually a long stairway that goes up the mountain in zig zags.

If you look at this wurm map for example: http://s3.amazonaws.com/Wlhost/51042.png

you can see how road are made there, and how hard it's to make a road up a mountain.

Anyway I totally support the weight limitation.

I definitely think it shouldn't be toggle-able, it's not JUST a limitation, at least, in theory, it's another reason to build something, so long as you can find one person in your group willing to build the only thing it does is grow the community and the aesthetics of the world.

people need to stop looking at a challenges as just annoying and look at the options it brings you.

I definitely think it shouldn't be toggle-able, it's not JUST a limitation, at least, in theory, it's another reason to build something, so long as you can find one person in your group willing to build the only thing it does is grow the community and the aesthetics of the world.

people need to stop looking at a challenges as just annoying and look at the options it brings you.

Exactly, I can't even count the number of new structures and places people will built due to this limitation.

You won't simple dig down collect the ore and get out, you will build a proper mine with roads and entrance.

And building in odd locations like mountains, won't be just a decision but a challenge.

As far as i know i haven't seen something like horse carts in any other mods so this is gonna be interesting to see how it turns out.

I remember getting a packmule from Mo' creatures when playing Technic which was both incredibly useful and fun to use and take care of.

I stuffed him away in his stable and never used him again as soon as i got my hands on jetpacks and the alchemy bag. it was quite sad actually.

As far as i know i haven't seen something like horse carts in any other mods so this is gonna be interesting to see how it turns out.

I remember getting a packmule from Mo' creatures when playing Technic which was both incredibly useful and fun to use and take care of.

I stuffed him away in his stable and never used him again as soon as i got my hands on jetpacks and the alchemy bag. it was quite sad actually.

You can try "Wurm Online" (Notch worked on it before minecraft), really interesting MMO, involves collecting resources, crafting, building and has a very solid system with weight limitation.